Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Passat for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great longevity

Lc, 07/30/2015
GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the 2004 model. After 11 years and a great ( indy VW) mechanic and regular maint. and oil changes, I've had minimal costly repairs. Maybe, I'm in the minority but I'm holding on to it, with just 115,000. My last VW went past 200,000.

Trad d In the Car 2016- Emissions Tests Problems

nancy wiggins, 11/18/2015
GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the handling& has enough power to make mountain trips a breeze. Replacement parts are too expensive for me. Low height is easy entry & a great feature but front bumper & oil pan (replaced 4 times-speed bumps)are too low. Very costly continuous repair on poor US roads.(NC&SC). Bought it to serve as a company car to haul executives as well as a personal car. Works well on both counts.Got the German made luxury edition and have enjoyed the features. The emissions system is a problem.

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW

mandydj, 12/18/2010

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

Thirteen years old and still going strong (update)

jsnoWVen, 11/05/2017
GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2004. Other than a few minor recall items, it has never been back to the dealership; I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has done the maintenance and repairs for me. I have faithfully performed all scheduled maintenance on the car with the exception of the timing belt, which I replaced early on the advice of the mechanic. This car has been 100% dependable, is a joy to drive, and looks good, too. I fully expect to be driving this car well into the future. Update: I have now owned and driven this car for over 15 years. There have been no major problems with the car, just the usual wear-and-tear repairs that come with a daily driver. The mileage has dropped a little in the past few years, but still within the EPA ratings for the car. I bought this car to replace a VW Golf that was 18 years old and had over 200k miles on it. At this time, my husband said I shouldn't expect the Passat Wagon to last as long as the Golf. He has since changed his tune, and we both fully expect this car to exceed the Golf's lifespan with us.

I will NEVER buy another VW!

snowylmh, 12/09/2010

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Passat Silver Wagon 4 motion

monyw, 01/22/2004

This is the best car I ever bought! period! the 4 motion is like glue in the snow & rain. every option you can think of is included. the ride and power are unmatched for this class. This is a true sports Wagon in every way.

I wish someone warned me about the water

vw driver, 02/27/2004

I owned a Jetta, now a passat. I loved it until the water began to leak in under the front and rear floor carpet. When I researched this issue it seems it is a long known defect/issue for these cars. I know two people who had the same problem, and found hundreds of others on line. My new car now smells like a old wet rug. Other than that love the car, but that is quite an issue to get by. VW claims not to know of it but replace pollon filter to address the issue.

Wonderful road hugger

JG DC, 04/29/2017
GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The card handles so well, hugging curves and effortlessly making turns. Little effort required. The engine is there for you when you need to make your moves. I love the sliding tilting sunroof and the leather interior. The seats show no wear, stay clean and are very comfortable to sit on. Lots of safety features and easy handling. The cold weather package ensures the front seats warm up in the coldest weather, adding to comfortable heating system. Winter isn't a problem with anti-slip and anti skid steering. A car that is meant for cruising the highway on long trips in safety and comfort! I don't want to sell or trade it in. I will drive it until is ready for that great wrecking yard in the sky!

We're never ever ever getting back together

Terri, 12/29/2015
GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My father passed in 2009 and the car was given to me with 17,000 miles on it. The car has always been garaged. I cannot drive the car now and it only has 53000 miles on it (12/2015) When I got the car I took it to Volkswagen and had a costly 3000 bill. Now the boots are gone Air conditioning is shot Catalytic converter went out power steering went out Can only use cruise control if head lights are in the bright position The cruise goes out if I make a right turn. Get oil change every twice a year, had power steering fluid changed 2 years ago Had to get new radiator oil leaks all new hoses, there was a lot more but I don't have my records available at the moment I cant even remember all of it The mileage is terrible. Between 14 and 16 miles per gallon Had all tune ups I WOULD NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN Would love to sell the good parts

Fooled Three Times

Boogalosi, 11/19/2010

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

Sell before warranty ends

joeykert, 01/19/2009

In the past month, at my expense, the front axle, water pump and timing belt all needed replacing. The car shakes in idle when stopped, a common problem with this engine from my research, but VW is in denial. The dealership cleaned the throttle body, fuel injectors and replaced engine and transmission mounts at my expense, car still shakes. This is my second and last VW, a car with only 41000 miles shouldn't have so many issues.

Piece of junk

susan, 03/07/2009

This is the absolute biggest piece of junk we have ever owned. Car broke down on the highway at 70K, engine needed to be rebuilt ( all oil changes up to date ) The interior is falling apart; slats for heat, all outlets to charge cell phones are blown, console between seats never shuts. Just got the car back yesterday and it was dead again by the time I went to pick my daughter up at school. NEVER will buy another VW - I am going to send them all of my bills so they can see what a nightmare this has been. Selling the car - just bought a FORD

Fast, Comfortable & Useful

Bob Swain, 06/19/2010

Purchased new. Not driven hard except for an Audi Quattro Club weekend at Road America where it held its own at 110 mph plus. Several long trips were very comfortable. A very useful hauler of all kinds of stuff. Sound system: Excellent & I have lots of cassettes and CDs to play. I prefer the front end styling to the later chrome; understated, not glitzy. The engine is wonderful: strong, powerful, smooth and gets remarkably good mileage for an eight; 25 mpg plus at 65-70 mph. Major complaint: Car delivered with OnStar and salesman knew it was important. Two years later (and three years short of the new car warranty) VW canceled the service. VW's response to my complaint. Too bad.

Great Wagon

Albert W., 07/01/2010

We bought this car new in 2004. It has served our needs very well. We have taken it on many long trips comfortably where we were able to get over 30 mpg on the highway traveling between 70 and 80 mph. The interior is very well appointed and durable. The heated seats are great. There have been no major mechanical issues, now at 55,000 miles, the car looks and rides like new. Handling is far superior to Toyota. It is very similar in ride to my BMW. Highly recommend.

Sweet Ride

Ethan, 11/03/2010

Bought our wagon with about 24k on it, it now has 56k and we've had 32k problem free miles. We were looking to replace it just to get something newer but realized that was pretty unnecessary. Nothing except a newer Passat wagon has the same space with the same features. It's not a performance machine but does nicely on the freeway and twisty roads.

The Best Car Ever Built

larry golin, 06/28/2005

Most people who drive with me think the car is a V8 it has tremendous pickup, the seats are perfect for long distance driving with correct lumbar support and height adjustment. The car is equipped with all kinds of little niceties that others do not have. Such as lift away windshield wipers, stickless front hood holds, both front window express up and down, outside control of windows and moonroof with key window control without the key turned on, on board computer with total MPG and momentary MPG, total miles left on tank, Long term MPG and short term MPG etc. etc. It has both manual and auto shift which I like to brake the engine or going on a twisty turney road.

Great car

jmg, 08/12/2005

A year and 7,500 miles after buying the car, it has been to the shop once -- for the scheduled oil change and service. Couldn't ask for more from a family wagon. It handles the streets of Manhattan just as nicely as the interstate. And lots of room for all our stuff.

My Volkswagen Passat

Helen Adornato, 06/06/2004

We purchased our vehicle in Sept. 2002 and are so very happy with our decision. In all the years we have both driven, we feel we have finally made the right choice. We find the vehicle to be safe and reliable. We are proud to be owners. \

So Bad We are Selling It After 15,000 Miles

Dave Melichar, 09/08/2006

We have had this car for a bit over two years and it has been in the shop five times. The windows have stopped working twice, ocassionally the sunroof will refuse to close, there are pieces falling off in the engine compartment, the dash squeeks (the dealer refuses to even acknowlege it is an issue), the console cover would not close completely and the radio has been replaced twice. We have a two year old who when playing with the vents was able to break the vent louvers with one finger. You would think a car designed for a family would be robust enough to survive the two year old one finger inspection. All this in 15,000 miles. This is not what I would call a well designed car.

My new wagon

Manhttnbch, 10/05/2003

Just bought a GLX, 4mo and so far it's great. ESP is now included standard in 2004. Too early to tell anything related to service but car has been out there a while.

puny issues

elwood dinwoody, 10/13/2004

Passat Wagon with 4 MOTION- Quiet, powerful, and very comfy.Power seat acting up after 2 weeks, a couple of bubbles in the dash vinyl, and the 'thud' of the downshift into 1st at stops the only complaints – wish I didn't have to deal with it; the dealer tells me as I sat in the car to drive it off the lot that they would need to reprogram the computer on first servicing. Now, I can sleep at night.

Falling Apart

Lydia Crane, 08/09/2006

I have enjoyed owning this vehicle yet a local auto repairman told be to beware when I hit 30,000 miles. I am now at 32,000 miles and things are falling apart. The windows won't stay up and rain gets in the car. Also, my horn sounds for no reason, which is embarrassing. The pick up is markedly delayed when the air-conditioning is on. I am looking for a new car.

hear me out please!

Thomas Routhier, 10/13/2016
W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

focus on your findings, accept fact us used car buyers want to know professional folks considerations on features, and overall reliability....Don't dawdle get to recommendations be fair but bad is bad, poor poor, good good, great great, and please if using adds....... slim down......My view? Your features GREAT GREAT!

Still satisfied after 4 years

JAC, 01/31/2009

We purchased our wagon new about 4.5 years ago. We have been very satisfied with it. It has run well the entire time and the only time there was a problem that was not a recall was when we got bad gas, which isn't the car's fault! It's been driven 1/2 way across the country a couple of times and the gas mileage is pretty ok, averaging 30+ MPG on the highway.

An Endearing Auto

creative native, 06/03/2009

I have lost count on how many VW's I have owned now and am always impressed with what VW has to offer. This GLX wagon is all I anticipated. Excellent ride quality and better than anticipated fuel economy. I always get complimented on the body lines and colors.

Money Sucking Vehicle

mamak, 10/17/2009

Loved the car when we first got it. About 2 years in the repair bills started to mount. Oil changes are $50. Multiple recalls. An electrical problem that cost me $1500 (VW supposedly covered $800 in parts, I think they jacked up the invoice then discounted to appease me) and the car is on it's way to the dealership now for its 5th ignition coil. The first four went 3-6 months apart, the car was under warranty but VW would not replace them pro-actively so four times I was stranded and had to get towed. I've owned VWs before, we also have a 1999 Jetta that chugs along just fine, but the Passat is not cost efficient or reliable and will not be replaced with another VW.

Excellent Car

Jerry Rosen, 01/31/2008

This is my favorite car in over 30 years of driving. It has all the benefits of a wagon, yet drives like a sporty sedan. It has great mid speed acceleration, downshift to 4th or 3rd, floor it and you can, pass almost anything. It looks great, very European and the interior is very high class for a car in that price range. The gas mileage is so-so in city driving, but cruising at 75mph you can go 400 miles before gasing. I have had for 42,000 miles and have only brought it in for scheduled maintenance. Its reliable, sporty, looks great and practical, what more could you want.

Stylish, Practical, Loads of Fun

miran, 10/07/2003

This is the first wagon I've owned after over 20 years of driving Japanese sedans. Many years ago, a station wagon purchase was unthinkable because of the image; now, the requirements of job and family make it necessary. But who'd have thought that this would be one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever driven? It's fast, extremely stylish, the interior has loads of helpful automation, and drives so beautifully that even my practical wife ditches her Toyota Sienna and sneaks out with the VW when I'm not driving it. And though I've never associated wagons with a stylish exterior look, I'm surprised at how many strangers have made favorable comments.

great Ride

bmulligan, 11/30/2003

You can't go wrong with this baby. That turbo kicks in and hold on. You get a lot for your money with features that some expensive cars don't have.

Practical Fun

walker72, 12/03/2003

Zippy tight and o' so practical. Everything feels right and in its proper place. Take the step up from the base GL model, it a few grand that makes this car feel and handle like cars priced 10K more. If you have kids, the leather will make you oh so happy... and its mighty comfy too.

too new to review...

fungirl, 12/03/2003

So far so good... I have been very impressed with the way the car drives. It is always wanting to go faster! Love the interior and the design.

Brendan's review

brendan, 12/10/2003

Good Car it has very good traction contrel it is also good in the snow

Passat Wagen 1.8T

Ken Krigbaum, 09/09/2005

To be fair, I have not had the Passat that long (2 months). It currently has 7,600 miles, mostly highway miles. So far, I have been impressed. I generally trade cars every year, and I usually buy Toyotas. I still don't think anyone matches Toyota for quality, value, reliability, etc., which begs the question, "Why a VW?" Well, to put it simply, it's "the ride." It is a driver's car at a great price. To be sure, this is a touring car, and that is where it shines. At 80+mph, it's "at home" getting 40 mpg or better. In the city, its performance is a bit lurchy. In traffic, the turbo isn't a great match.

Test Drive Carefully and Completely

FastFred, 10/23/2005

I've driven the VW for one year and I am unhappy with it. The dashboard instruments cannot be seen in the daylight! AC display panel is a joke, dark and almost illegible. The Monsoon radio on AM cannot be tuned in clearly. The dealer says: That's typical of VW radios! My car's gas mileage is quite low for a V6. I am averaging 13-15 mpg around town, 20-23 mpg on thehighway. Overall, consider a Honda or a Toyota for the same or less money.

Uber Wagon

guyspat, 01/24/2004

My wife and I looked at a Saab 95 and Volv0 V70, but the GLX Wagon had the best combination of features (Onstar and Memory Seats that drive the price of the 95 to $40,000) and price. The only thing missing was a little exclusivity and Xenon headlights. Gas economy seems very poor, but I expect it to improve as we put more miles on the car.

Great Car

Blownaway, 01/24/2004

I love my Passat, and the service that comes with it is fantastic

Great car

Povvy, 01/31/2004

I love driving this car. It is a complete joy, peppy, and reliable, easy to steer with no play in the wheel. Ir turns corners at almost 90 degrees and brakes beautifully.

passat wagon gls automatic

doug finch, 02/19/2004

this is my 6th VW, my 2nd Passat. They truly know how to build cars.

VW buyer for life

BArcher, 02/21/2004

The performance of this vehicle is unmatched. There is such an improvement with having the ESP turned on when driving on slick/wet roads.

Best Car Ever

Larry Golin, 02/28/2004

This is the best car ever bilt bar none

Great Wagon - Fun to Drive

mibo888, 03/04/2004

The GLX has probably more features than we really needed, but boy what fun it is to drive this car. Great engine, all the safety features you would ask for, and the 4WD was really nice in the winter. Appealing style from the outside with the 17" wheels, and IMO much better looking than the Audi solution on the same basis. Now if only the mileage would be better - so far only getting ~16MPG in mixed city/highway driving.

Perfect Balance

V-Dub Man, 03/10/2004

I traded a WRX for my Siverstone Gray wagon and I'm not looking back. It's the perfect balance between fun and practicality. The low-lift gate will hold two golf bags nicely (with the rear seats down)and that's a "biggy" for me. The car handles great on the twistys yet it cruises in great style on the interstates. And you feel like your in a much more expensive car. The Monsoon sound system completes the package. The fit/finish and paint are top drawer (see $100K Phaeton). The manual shifter is silky smooth and really complements the 4 cylinder turbo. right now I'm a "Happy Camper"; I just hope it lasts!

Fast Fun

WayneTSchultz, 03/15/2004

The W8 is one smooth engine. The 6spd has a revised final drive ratio, and this wagon accelerates crisply. VW says it goes 0-60 in 5.9 and I have no reason to doubt it. This is a smooth and confortable cruiser. Be careful, and check the speedo often because I've often looked down to find I'm nearing the century mark. The best part is the law sees just another Passat wagon.

A lotta car for the money.

golfhound1, 04/04/2004

I have now had this car for 3,000 miles and it has been a lot of fun to drive. Interior fit and finish are first rate and the exterior styling turns heads. Huge amounts of cargo room in the wagon. The 1.8L turbo engine is quick and the handling is solid. It has been reccomended to me by several other 1.8 owners that if I upgrade the engine management chip for $500, the car becomes a rocket. Benefits of a turbo charged engine. I test drove a Subaru with the 4cyl. engine and found the acceleration sluggish compared to the VW. This car acts far above its retail price. Great value.

Passat Wagon what are you waiting for

glbose, 04/08/2004

We've had our Passat wagon for a year now. We drive about 25,000 miles in a year and we are very pleased with the performance, gas mileage and the fact that my wife feels very safe driving. It's exact tracking even at high speeds and crisp maneveurs and it's solid feel (like driving a vault0 make the Passat an excellent choice for a family wagon. We have the 1.8T turbo 4 cylinder and never want for power to pass or to merge. The faster the engines revs the more power you feel. I am totally and completely satisfied.

No wonder these are all over the place!

Deutschmobilers, 04/26/2004

We traded in our 2001 Passat wagon for the 2004 Passat wagon. We shopped around & narrowed the field to this wagon & the Volvo 70 wagon. The Passat won out as it was $5000 less expensive, with all the bells and whistles included, felt roomier in the front driver & passenger area, had a nicer looking rear-end, and saved us money on auto insurance due to the on board On-Star.

German precision

RussRamz, 05/15/2004

A silky smooth cruiser with a virtually silent W8 powerplant coupled with the finest 6 speed stock transmission I have ever driven (I don't like automatics much anyway). The clutch takes some getting used to, but it only takes about 15 minutes in traffic to become proficient. Once you do, you'll likely understand why most europeans prefer them over automatics.

GLS TDI

anchor5072, 05/18/2004

Unfortunately the TDI model has not yet been recognized by Edmunds, so I am using the closest fit. I am comparing to my Audi A6, which is not fair, but considering it cost about $15K less the Passat does quite well. Very pleased with the Turbo, not only the mileage but the performance is great. I drove through a very heavy rain storm a couple of days ago, many cars sitting it out on the side of the road, but the Passat felt secure and handled quite well. Overall I highly recommend the TDI, if you can find one. Color selection has been limited, but I lucked out and got a Blue Silver with Black leather. A real beauty.

Still W8ing

Gille1, 05/18/2004

Purchased the car as my 7th Passat and 20th VW and was looking forward to a fast and sporty ride. The car is neither. Acceeleration lag from stand still is down right dangerous and then you jump like a frog! Gas mileage is horrendous ( 12 miles in City?). Back brakes warped & replaced at 20K. Tried to sell and realized one dealer offered all remaining 2003 W8's at $8K disocunt! W8ing for a better Audi or Lexus.

Great Wagon

nimra, 05/13/2004

This is my second Passat Wagonused for business has more room than most Message centermidsize SUV's

51050