Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Gotta love the TDI, 1yr later still loving it!!
By Long Range Customs

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

At 6'6", the little VW Beetle has absolutely the most comfortable seats my wife and i have ever been in for long road trips. A few years ago i made a 5400 mile trip in 84 hours flat, yes do the math on that one! I certainly was tired when i got to my destination and returning home but was no where near as sore as every other vehicle i have ever been owned! Gotta love the VW seats and interior design! The fuel mileage of the little 1.9L is incredible. At 80 mph for nearly the entire trip with severe side/head winds at times i still averaged 45MPG for the entire trip!!We typically see 42 city and 48-50hwy. I use light weight synthetic oils in the engine and tranny. I run my tires at their max on the sidewall giving me nearly perfect tread wear across the entire surface of the tires. My best tank was 760 miles on one tank! I spent a lot of time nursing it to the top both times. INCREDIBLE!! My only complaint however, is that VW used flimsy "Rivets" to hold the third member together that the ring gear bolts to in the little 5 spd transmission. A couple of the rivets flew out and punched a 3"-4" hole in the lower side of the transmission housing. At about 156k we removed the tranny to install a new clutch and much to our surprise we found the "inspection hole" they caused when they flew out. Costing us an unnecessary case replacement/tranny rebuild! We drilled out the remaining rivets and installed the recommended API bolt kit and all is good! It has absolutely ran like a swiss watch before and after that. Can't say enough about the little TDI beetles, love'em!! We liked it so much i am heading to purchase another one as ours was just hit in the front end by another driver and was totaled. All occupants we completely safe thanks to the Beetles design!! :{)

TDI Beetle - best kept secret out there
By AIXIZCYCLES

Having learned to drive on a 1962 bug, I have a certain affection for the Beetle. This new one does not disappoint and is uber fun to drive. Owing a new Suburban and also a HD bike, I use the Beetle for daily chores and business commuting. At 6'1" and 250lbs, I have plenty of room. I specifically wanted a turbo diesel, manual because a small car should be fun and involve the driver in the experience. Can't complain abut the 44mpg I am getting as well! I also have a grin on my face knowing that it does not meet current EPA requirements!!! Global warm this.

The turbo diesel, manual. A lot of pull, performs more like my Harley than a small diesel engine. Well done, German engineers. Performance does not disappoint.

Cosmetic. Bumper strips and door panel rub strips to minimize parking lot dings. Also, the battery removal process is absurd (but so German).

People's Car?? Not this one.
By Virginia&George

Yes you change oil every 5000 miles, but you have to go to the dealer and buy SPECIAL VW oil?? To do any basic maintenance you need a degree in mechanics?! Even then, you may not be able to reach the fitting or part that you want to service because it is so cramped and difficult. Now after 3 years we have problems: (a) difficulty in starting cold engine in the morning, (b) things fall apart inside the cabin (ashtray, window controls, hand-brake knob, etc.), (c) when you start engine lots of white smoke is delivered by exhaust pipe.

Fuel economy.

Make the car RELIABLE as the old Beetle.

Stay Away from the New Beetle TDI
By Surface

2003 5-Speed TDI. My expectations of VW quality have been all shut down. This is the worst new car purchased. 2 year old car that needs repairs all the time. Things that should work for years to come break, for example the gas cap release mechanism is a part of a large list of things. Gas milage of this vehicle is great, but what others do not tell you is that maintenance required for this car is horrible, Timing Belt Change every 40K miles required. Parts Sales person from VW told me that all the money you save on gas milage are spent on either repair or maintenance [TDIs mostly]. Have you checked VW reliability ratings? Search the web,you will be surprised that VW is in the Daewoo region!

Gas Milage, Very tourque car.

Rear Seats headroom and angle of back rest. Timing Belt change intervals are way to frequent. VW dealer knowledge of their own cars is not impressive. Quality of dealer repair work is poor. I found dropped tools in my engine bay when I changed oil. Parts and Labor pricing is way overpriced.

The New 5-speed Diesel Beetle
By jsbach2

The 2004 5-speed stick shift VW Beetle
diesel has gotten me 52.1 mpg, average
is 49.0 highest of any car I have
owned. And more fun to drive than the
2003 4-speed auto model which never