Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

GREAT LITTLE SPEEDY CAR!!
By JACK

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have over 160,000 miles on my little beetle and it still drives perfectly. Quick acceleration, can still climb to 100mpg in no time flat. Excellent steering and response time. I've driven it in rain, snow, sleet and sun and it does great. Only downside for us was the rear seats if someone is tall not a real fun ride but the front seats are comfortable.

Neveragain will I buy a VW New Bettle
By Joe Acushnet

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this pile of junk at 78k. Within 6 months the timing belt broke, then the turbo went away. Thanks to VWs poor design with 5 valves per cylinder and a interferance motor it bent 18 valves. My machinist says that and the 2.0 are by far the most expensive car he works on and he sees lots of them. Worst car I have ever owned!

A good car, only for the first 3 years
By Jane Doe

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These fall apart. At 140k miles I've replaced/ repaired so many stupid things. Like what? The rear 3rd brake light seal leaks. This lets water into the trunk lock which sets off the alarm every time it rains. And, requires replacing if the trunk latch! The water pump and mini fold are made of glass reinforced plastic that doesn't stand up to prolonged hi temps. Both cracked and needs replacement at different times. Quite the unreliable car if you keep it more than 3 years

A chuggy Volkswagen!
By Briana

This is far the worst car I had! When I bought it at 151,000 miles, a few weeks later I noticed a lot white smoke coming out my tail pipe as I accelerate and it was chugging during that time. (Worse in winter). It faced a lot oil leaks and found out I had coolant leak too. I tried to get this oil leak under control after 3 repairs and still hasn't been fixed and spent slightly over $1,000 for that same oil problem. Oi! She was an oil eater! Until I finally got a tune up, that helped the chugging to stop, but then still got blue smoke coming out tail pipe. Not to mention, this is a turbo engine. My mechanic who specialize in European cars mentioned that turbo goes out every 75,000 miles. A turbo itself is $700 and labor? Probably $1,000. Eventhough, two Volkswagen dealerships told me I needed a new engine.

Sitting in that driver bucket seat is uncomfortable. My lower back started to feel the burning and aching. The headlights are always loose, the rubber sealing doesn't reattach properly. The lightbulbs? They burn out frequently. My CD player skips or stops music for few seconds. I always had fast right turn blinker...even with all lightbulbs seemed to work.

Too many problems! I'm not totally against the beetle, but she was a real BUGGER! Not buying VW again.

Warning..do not purchase a new beetle
By Robert

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car for my daughter in high school. Now I spend all my spare time trying to keep it running. Plastic motor parts crack and need to be replaced almost weely. I have replaced the anti freeze overfill tank and heater hose connections. The transmission is junk. Jerky and shifts hard. Dangerous to drive. Many electrical issues. Interior gets wet when it rains. To many issues to remember. Do not get ducked into the cuteness of the car. They are totally worthless vehicles