Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

More trouble!
By John

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

Early on we experienced electrical problems, rattles and other issues with this car. We should have sold it! Now, we are replacing the clutch every year. We are now on the fourth clutch for this vehicle. It's going this time!

Good visibility and handling (once past first gear).

Too many to list. This car is a dog!

Bug
By JR

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

The Volkswagen Beetle is a car with good room, power, gas mileage, and design. It is fun to drive and easy to park, which is a real plus in city driving and living.

The good size and gas mileage.

Add a driver's right arm rest for long trips.

Love the Look, Hate the Repair Bills.
By paige

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I love the look of the Beetle, it looks like a smiling face. I however, am not smiling anymore because of the numerous repair bills, including replacing the tail, head, and brake light bulbs all of the time. I have replaced the auto window switches numerous times. I have had my car for 8+ years and I expect to replace and repair things, but this car is nickel and dimeing me to death! It's a horrible feeling taking your car somewhere and not being sure you will be able to get back home. I had to replace a plastic component in the gear shift that broke and I could not get out of third gear, then some months later, a gear shift cable broke and I couldn't get out of 2nd gear. Time for a new car!

I like the exterior design. The front of the Beetle looks like a smiling face.

Improve the electric window switches, these should never really have to be replaced once let alone two or three times.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Kincaid

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I traded this car in two years ago, and still keep thinking about how awful this car was and felt a need to warn others. It was cute, fun to drive and a real conversation starter, but the quality was TERRIBLE. I would drive down the street and pieces of the car would fall off (both on the exterior and interior). The car was three years old when I sold it because I couldn't afford the maintenance. I spent over $2,000 in an eight week period on various repairs and the dealership still didn't think they had solved one of the problems. This was an emotional purchase because of memories of my father's 60's Beetle, but a VERY EXPENSIVE trip down memory lane. I will never buy another VW ...

Cute and fun to drive.

QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY (did I mention quality ?)

RUN AWAY!
By mo

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for the worst possible reason: IT LOOKS CUTE. No sonner had I bought it than things started to go including the battery, a fan, the a/c system, the stereo, the windows, and the reverse gear. This list goes on an on, and everything is EXTRAORDINARILY expensive to fix. I made a quick decision because my previous uber-reliable Honda Civic was stolen, and I rue the day I bought this car every day of my life, particularly when I'm sweating in the summer without the $1,600 it would cost to fix it. Everything that could go wrong has. Don;t buy this car. I will never buy a VW again.

How it looks, little kids saying "punch buggy", and the flower vase.

Improve the quality.