Used 2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

15000 miles and running great
By Mike

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Small car, great price, easy to drive and park, lots of trunk space and rear seats fold down for more. Just drove it from Tucson to Chicago (1800 miles) and I got 44 mpg for the trip with the air conditioner on and driving 70-75 mph. Incredibly efficient engine, has lots of torque and performance for city driving too! She's a plain Jane, but a tremendous value.

Get All of Your Needs and Most Wants Too!
By Braden

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.4T S w/Technology 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Absolutely love this car for the money. Over 35K Miles, my records show a combined mileage is 37.58mpg (93 Octane). I take very good care of my cars and added accessories (Bra/Dashmat/Seat Covers) to prolong the life of the materials. I wash the car at least once a week. That said, Paint looks brand new and all interior materials are wearing very well. This version of the Jetta does not have a button to disable Traction Control, but you can buy oem parts and use vagcom (VCDS) to add the feature. This is well worth the money to do. Comfort and Convenience: All controls are simple. There are not a ton of buttons so you can adjust what you need to without be distracted from driving. There is very little chrome trim so you don't get annoying sun glare at all times of the day. You can only MANUALLY move seats forward/back/adjust height/recline, yet the drivers seat is exceptionally comfortable. The center armrest is highly adjustable. The MIB2 Head Unit is exceptionally well laid out, responsive and easy to use. The 1.4T engine has power for when you realistically need it. This is a commuter car that is peppy, but is not a race car. I have done all scheduled maintenance and have had zero issues so far. No shimmies, rattles etc. Take care of this car and I think it will take care of you. I will update in 30k more miles...

A truck guy but love this car
By Don F.

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.8T Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car for gas milage and did not want to pay the price for a new truck. I have always perfered trucks over cars. Owned several different cars and trucks. I can say I realy enjoy driving this car the most. I have owned it a year. Bought it with 12000 miles have 22000 miles on it now. I get 28 miles a gallon to and from work using back roads and about 35 mile to gallon on trips using highways. This is the best handleing vehical in snow I ever have had. I have had several 4×4 and all wheel drive vehicals. I bought this car to keep for about year until I had the credit and down to get a newer truck. Well changed my mind. I am keeping the car. Just love driving this car.

cheap and unreliable car
By mc69

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.8T Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

car broke twice in 1 year to end up on the tow track on the way to the dealer. one time some heating element burned out, second time some cabling from the turbo burned out. I have owned a Jetta MKV for 5 years and i do regret giving that away for the 1.8T sport. I find it unreliable especially going for long distances. wife had hyundai that never broke once in 6 years. interior is indeed cheap and everything squeaks and rattles after few thousands miles. no more air conditioning in the back although the interior is larger. The windshield is always foggy unless you put the climate on windshield on speed 3. I cannot even say Jetta is the new hyundai b/c is not ever as reliable as a hyundai.
update: since the problem with the turbo, car seems to get longer time to crank at cold, and this worsens with every day, so i will be back to the dealer. VW warranty is also a joke b/c they do not reimburse you for rental if your break point is less than 30 miles away from home. I mostly use the car to commute to work.

The 1.4 TSI Turbo is amazing-Part II
By CAW

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my initial review. I purchased my Jetta in August 2016, and currently have over 47,000 miles on it. I am still very impressed with the car, getting great gas mileage and the overall comfort and reliability of the Jetta. I have been changing my own oil and filter every 10K, and as stated before, finding the correct oil is a challenge. I can't get it at regular big box stores, but have found it a local import car parts retailer. The car has not needed any trips to the dealer for any problems or repairs. I did have a issue with the drivers side electric window control panel not working-but it ended up just being a loose fuse, which I replaced. Also, the OEM Continental Tires are holding up surprisingly well-still have plenty of tread left after 47K. Normally the OEM tires do not last this long. Overall, I am still very happy with the Jetta, especially the 1.4TSI engine and the six-speed automatic transmission. They are well paired and work smoothly together. There is no doubt that if I needed to replace the car tomorrow, I would go with another Jetta with similar equipment.