Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Jetta for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love my TDI!

carcully, 05/21/2014

We purchased our Toffee Brown 2013 Jetta TDI last summer, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. My folks have a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, so I had the pleasure of driving their car on occasion, and was immediately hooked on its performance and power, with such incredible fuel economy. We have 2 sons, and it transports the 4 of us around very comfortably. I love that the actual MPG is even BETTER than what is advertised. We get about 38 around town, and have gotten 51 on freeway trips. Love the V-tex Leatherette interior--so easy to clean. Just a great all-around vehicle.

VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TDI 52 mpg

rp4042, 09/20/2013

I bought this car on July 30 2013 and wish I had bought it sooner. I love this vehicle. the only gripe I have is the odometer is not constantly displayed in the speedometer, rather you have to page through a display screen to read it. Volkswagen claims 42mpg on the highway ' but I get 52 mpg with 60% highway and 40% city driving' as long as you keep the rpm's below 2,000 rpm's. this is with the automated manual transmission. my best for those conditions was 55.4 mpg. as far as some people saying the interior looks cheap I beg the differ it is not flashy like some other cars but certainly not cheap. this car is a joy to drive on winding roads.

Loved the car...Big problem

kittykat35, 02/04/2015
TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the car new..loved the stick,turbo,diesel combination...handled like a proper German sedan..car didn't settle in till 90mph+. At 35K the high-pressure (32000psi) fuel pump failed and sprayed metal fragments through out the fuel system resulting in $5000 repair bill ! Covered under warranty for 1 time but the dealer claimed it was contaminated fuel. Had only used diesel fuel from a high volume station that has city and school district contracts. Come to find out these Bosch pumps are on their 3rd redesign and one of the failure suspects is the low sulfur fuel that has no/reduced lubricants. Owner's manual says not to use additives but if you have one be sure use an additive. ..Up-date 8/19...Traded car the week after this nightmare was "fixed".

JETTA TDI is the best car i have ever owned.

rp4042, 03/20/2015
TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my jetta tdi on July 30 2013 and have loved it ever since. i have 27904 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. i consistently get over 50mpg driving to work in the morning. the return trip home is stop and go about half the way and I average 40-42mpg.to obtain the best mpg try to keep rpm at 2000 rpm or less. when i have the car loaded with hundreds of lbs of gear and an additional person and driving 75-80 mph i still get between 45-47mpg. with the extra cost of diesel over gas i still saved $1500.00 over what it cost to run my old 2 liter gas trade in for 20,000 miles.

8 Month, 25,000 Mile Review

bailey08, 04/30/2014

I traded my 2004 Infiniti for a new Jetta TDI 8 months ago and currently have 25k miles on it. I bought it because of the gas mileage since I commute/travel 3k miles a month. With that said, I average between 38-40 mpg on my commute to and from work. Volkswagen advertises that you can get 609 miles to one tank and that is an understatement. I made it home from NC to the NJ on one tank of gas: 625 miles. (avg speed 70 mph). The DSG transmission is a lot of fun to drive. It offers every-day "Drive" mode or the more exciting "S" mode or for maximum power, you can switch to manual mode. If you are looking for a daily driver/commuter car that offers much more, you should definitely consider.

Great Overall Fuel Saver!

emotionalrat15, 01/24/2013

Bought this car in November of 2012 and optioned it with Bluetooth, RCD-510 Touch Screen radio and a sunroof. I love it! Its a great city car, however it needs to have lots of highway miles due to its DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) not burning the soot properly in city conditions,so it clogs up. That was when my mom had it for a week when I was gone and when I stepped into it a warning light came on that it was clogged. I phoned VW and they said drive it on the highway for a few miles and the light will go out. And so it did. I get 46 mpg combined, its a blast to drive, but it needs a bout 20 more hp when merging at freeway speeds. But going slower, there is gobs of torque! I love it!

Fuel efficiency without sacrificing torque

Marcelo Murillo, 09/08/2015
TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I will start with something that could be improved and that is the transmission. I have the DSG transmission and it is great and refined at normal driving speed (15 mph plus) However it is a bit rough when coasting to a stop, driving through a parking lot and other slow situations. It seems there is more low end torque than the transmission knows how to handle and when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear it is not as smooth as other non-diesel non DSG cars, the dealer checked the transmission and all was good no defects were found. fuel economy is off the charts, build quality is what you expect from VW which is excellent, no squeaks or rattles, the interior materials are solid and not cheap, ergonomics are great and I love the no nonsense designs of the controls. The car handles great and the 2.0 turbo diesel has loads of torque which makes passing and merging into a freeway a breeze (no drama it just builds speed) Road noise is better than other cars I've tested on this segment and great for long journeys, front seats are very comfortable and there is great leg room for the back occupants, however my child’s car seat takes a big chunk of the back seat room. Trunk space is actually surprisingly good and mine came with a first aid kit. When it comes to fuel economy this car is a star especially on the highway, I never get less than 500 miles per tank and have gotten as much as 610 in a trip from Florida to Michigan. In conclusion I highly recommend this car to anyone. I've owned this car for almost 6 years and I bought it used with only 5k miles on the odometer.

Love my 2013 Jetta Turbo Diesel 6 speed Manual

mr_chosenone, 02/10/2015
TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought a 2011 new Jetta Turbo Diesel 6 speed standard and loved it so much, I sold it to my best friend and bought a 2013 with the exact same set up. They're both identical cars except for their birth year. Both are a blast to drive. I can drive it like I stole it and still get over 45 mpg. Love the electric steering. Buy the manual model if you want to have fun driving this little car. I have and will continue to recommend this car to my friends.

Maybe biased because I had a Bimmer

happy163, 01/04/2015
TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Alright, so this was a trade in for another lease I had which was a 2013 Passat SE. This Jetta was better and a lot more fun to drive than the Passat. The TDI engine is a lot more lively and engaging than the 2.5 Liter in the Passat. The electronic steering was fun as well. The wishbone suspension however, was very noticeable for someone who knows a thing or two about handling. The back end is just too unstable on curves and wishy washy. I had this unpleasant rattling noise in the center console where the cup holders are. It would never go away. The gas mileage in the vehicle was excellent as I put on more miles on the car, the better the gas range was. At one point i was getting 45MPG.

The good and the bad

maninva, 03/21/2014
TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Like other reviewers I had a bit of buyers remorse upon driving this car home from the dealer. No auto headlamps, compass, auto dimming review mirror or back up cam left me a little disappointed. The car grew on me once I got used to it. It is fun to drive and I enjoy getting 50 mpg on the highway. At 8k the paint on the front bumper started to chip off very easily. After three different attempts to have VW repaint the bumper they refused to do so. This was my first VW and will be my last. I will not buy cars from a manufacturer that doesn't stand behind it's product. A follow up to my previous review. Luckily I traded the Jetta in Dec of 2014. It was the worst car I have ever purchased. Had I kept it I would have lost thousand of dollars in value after the Emission Cheating Scandal came to light. I will never own another VW.

51050