Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sporty Sedan
By Paul Schwemmer

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This was to be my run around errand car. It turned into my daily driver, trip and most reliable car

My Car - the Two P's
By Gary T

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The two P's are plastic and performance ! Yes - the car is fast and does very well on the highway. Its sporty but not flashy - but I love it anyways. The 2.5L motor gets up and goes thru traffic - all for a price which is gas milage... On the highway - from Las Vegas to Loma Linda, CA - less than half a tank (going an average of 80 mph). The car loves 80 and up !!! Handling is another WOW ! I have those sporty tires and rims - makes a big difference !

Unacceptable repair costs!!!
By angie

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

There are many problems involved with this car, including faulty cylinders, throttle body mailfunctions, and wiring!

So much potential!
By Carson C.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 Volkswagen Jetta S in 2013. It was a certified used vehicle purchased from Volkswagen Van Nuys in Van Nuys, CA, and it only had 27,000 miles on it. Since I've owned the car, the resale value has tanked. It now has about 85,000 miles, and is only worth about $8,500 max (and that's including all the upgrades). I've had many electrical issues with the car...such as: 1.) In 2014, the fuse panel under the engine melted, 2.) In 2016, my front driver seat almost caught fire, as the seat warmer burned through the seat & caused black marks...luckily, I noticed before it turned into a fire, 3.) In 2016, my fuse panel inside the car melted. Although Volkswagen considers some of these "safety issues", they will refuse to take care of the problem...which is why it is unfortunate, but I will never purchase another Volkswagen again. I will give this car credit -- it handles very well. The only other negative about this car, is that I feel as though the car goes through gas a lot faster than it is supposed to. I even borrowed a 2015 Volkswagen Jetta while mine was being repaired, and the car would say "125 miles until empty"...5 miles later, it would read "110-115 miles until empty", and so forth. I would not recommend this car to anyone over 5'8". I am about 5'6"/5'7", and even I sometimes will hit my head getting in and out of the car.

Great daily wagon for me
By PJ

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The car is loaded and a blast to drive.Driver airbag module was loose fit from clockspring causing constant airbag light .I fixed with dab goop .Check enging po956 code from $15 purge valve from overfilling gas .Buy yourself a U291 $10.00 scanner or get codes scaned at a parts store if it ever has any.It can reset what dealer charges over $100.00 to do . The panoroof should never be operated with sunshade closed . It will come unglued .I fixed mine for $ 250 Dealer will charge a fortune to drop headliner and replace.(unnecessary) All my problems may be related to the car was a bank repo and sat 2 years in impound .Front brakes lasted 65000 rears 40000 Just replaced origional tires at 65000.Not as good of a car as my 2004 Camry but a whole lot more fun.