Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

9 Years & 155K Miles, still running strong
By Rashod B.

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

It’s been a relatively uninteresting journey with my 2008 VW Jetta. All in all, it has been a great vehicle to own. Extremely reliable, zippy, and comfortable. The car has lived in 2 states, been in 2 serious accidents and it just runs. I’ve had no major surprises except for some weird steering wheel and key ignition issues right around 100K on the odometer. The 2.5 liter engine and 5-speed manual transmission have always worked great. Right around 150K miles, I had a bevy of normal wear and tear items replaced (axel, brakes, tires, shocks, struts, etc.). My biggest complaint is that the car is simply boring and the gas mileage is subpar. If I can get another 50K miles out of the car with no major repair bills, I’d say it was a pretty damn good purchase.

STAY AWAY!!
By Chris H.

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I baught my 08 jetta wolfburg used based on reviews, I picked this car over a acura which i regret every day..the DSG transmissions are [non-permissible content removed] and vw knows it.. they extended the warranty to June 28, 2018 or 100,000 miles..plus there is a recall on the DSG transmission but only for cars made Between Sept.08 - Aug. 09.. So I have all the common transmission issues stated in the recall but I have 130,000 (which I thought was nothing for vw) and they wont touch it..even though it's admittedly a faulty part they offer no assistance whatsoever.. they want me to pay $550 for them to change transmission fluid knowing damn well it won't fix anything..(it was changed at 100,000)..what a joke..STAY AWAY from this car or any car with a DSG transmission..its a hazard for my wife to drive with our children or for anybody to drive..it'll cost me more than the car is worth to fix..STAY AWAY!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED..

Love it
By Toddr

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car

Great car
By J chesney

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Good Value and a Good Ride
By Rob

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Pros: Fun to drive (stick shift), Dependable, Paint has stayed bright, This S model (base) has many conveniences found only on more expensive cars, such as all four windows power up and down automatically, many hooks in the trunk for attaching grocery bags, etc., two power sockets, good arm rest between front seats.

Cons: Relatively poor mileage for the engine size, Weak Brakes (most VWs).