Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Worst car I ever owned
By Norman

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it at 65k. At 80k everything needed repair. Engine, transmisson and electrical. The 1st repair shop will repair anything but VW and Audi. The 2nd shop said the VWs are the #1 car they see and to sell it now. #3 shop said the same thing.

Not your VW Golf
By VWOwner

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned both a Golf and a Jetta and would say that for the price, your best bet is to go for a Golf which is much more reliable than a Jetta.

A decade Plus and still tickin'
By R. Lee

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This VW was the first year for the 'redesign'. The engine in my opinion sounds great. Reporters have stated it "sounded rough". Nonsense! The engine and exhaust were designed by Lamborghini designers for that very reason. The transmission performs very well and can be shifted 'manually'. The ride is somewhat 'Sports Sedan-ish' and it handles almost like one. Very competent on the road, straight or twisting. It inspires confidence. Overall, the car is a winner in my opinion. (Many years ago, I used to race cars and am familiar with those characteristics that make a car road worthy and "fun to drive'), this car fills that bill to a tee. ENJOY!!!
Unfortunately, I traded in my VW on a 2014 Factory Certified Pre-Owned Subaru Outback Limited 2.5L, Dec. 6, 2016. I needed a vehicle just a little bit higher because of my aging knees. The Subaru has proven to be a very solid vehicle, and goes thru almost any type of weather. As I write this, we are getting 31.8 MPG driving around our town and area. Pretty good I think.

Best Car Ever!
By Anthony

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

NOT A RELIABLE CAR!
By saint13

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 Volkswagen jetta GLI. At 65,000 miles, my timing belt snapped and it left me on the side of the highway. Had major costly engine damage. Since then the fabric has been coming off all over the interior of the car. It constantly needs to be in the shop. It worked great but its not reliable due to the fact at 60,000 plus miles its a mechanical nightmare!