Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews

$724 - $1,858

Used Jetta for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Mk3 jetta / alot Of miles Per gallón

John Gianni, 10/12/2015
GL 4dr Sedan

I got this Car for 800$ and put On it Around 2300$ But is a great invesment. Paint , socks,breaks, radiator,hoses ,housing hose, Water pump,timing belt,custom rims & tires michelline/ rims and tires same size like original recomend , front windshield,interior small parts , and clips, Many i got On eBay , junk yards ,México, vw parts - this Car is very economical To use San Diego To los Ángeles Around Trip 25$ On gas I fix it With my friends Looks Good - restored was The best desicion 1998 jetta manual Gl No words To describe is a old car But give me All i Need We have 5 cars and VW jetta MK3 family We love it !!

I love my Jetta!

amnotafish, 03/09/2002

After two years in this car I'm still in love with it. I drive this car hard and fast and it keeps up with everyone. It hugs the road and feels much safer than other cars I've driven. I get a lot of complments as well- especially from Jetta owners '99-'02. If something (god forbid) were to happen to this car I would have to find another. The '98's are far superior to the newer VW models and kicks my friend's Civic to the curb!

I love this car

Midori Alexandros, 03/27/2008

It has been a great- car. We have had to do a lot of mechanical repairs to the car, who ever sold it did not do them and that was probably why they sold it in the first place. We have done timing belt/tensioner, both drive axles, breaks, struts, engine mounts, and turn signal switch, spark plugs, plug wires, and had the engine detailed. The car has been excellent with no mishaps.

a big bottomless hole in my wallet

okayt, 01/25/2012

I bought this car 2 years ago. The muffler fell off twice in 1 week right after I got it along with the siding (back on w/ double-sided tape) & the spoiler. Had to fix the ignition switch, buy a new radio/cd player. Several sets of new tires. Blinker/brake light problems which only worked for a year & stopped working again. The 2 back windows are being held up with pcs of wood. The power locks don't work from the inside (they'll lock me in). AC adaptor doesn't work & I was told they couldn't fix it. The glove compartment handle snapped off. & now it's back in the shop for some unknown reason. If it's more than a couple hundred I'm buying a new car & never buying a Dub again

Too Young To Die

Vector, 06/05/2008

I purchased my Jetta in 2001, with only 17k. In the 7 years that Ive owned it, the rubber on the sides fell off, the cruise control went out, the keyless entry stopped working, the airbag light goes on and off, and worst of all the transmission is dying at 86,000 miles. The repair shop (a costly VW only shop) could not fix the cruise, the key or the airbag light. They said that I will have to get a new tranny, which would cost more than the car is worth. It takes a lot of effort for it (automatic transmission) to get up to 20 mph (gets up to 50 rpms), and it jerks into second gear. Once it gets to 60 mph, it's ok but it takes a lot of work to get there. Not so much fun to drive now.

Poor Quality

vw_stinks, 04/08/2002

My 1998 (44,000 miles) Jetta is a big disapointment. While it is a fun car to drive, it is hard to keep the car long enough to have too much fun. Since owning this vehicle I have had t the following problems: - 3 out of 4 power windows FAILED - Power Sunroof FAILED - Body molding FELL OFF (on both sides) - Power Steering Pump FAILED - factory battery FAILED after two years - Power Door locks intermitantly FAIL

Nice car if your pockets run deep

Frooch, 05/07/2002

No doubt about it as said above the car is fun to drive. Unfortunatly fun to drive comes at outragious cost. Maint. on these things thru your dealership will not come cheap. Waterpumps, belts, anything else with more than 3 hours labor will cost you heavily. As said above my sunroof has broken twice, 2 of the four window regulators went, 2 moldings fell off, my cd changer blew out twice and my foglights die (then physically fall off). Last but not least, after 67000 oilchange documented miles my engine blew. Reasonably priced fix of $6000- haha. The guttyworks of the car are simple to explain... garbage!

Driver Found

Tony, 04/12/2009

I beat the crap out of this car on a daily basis,driving it all over the Tri-state area and it has never left me stranded.Just keep up with the maintenance and they are all go! Repairs seem to be easy to do.Most of them I can do in my driveway.Could you expect anything less from a Peoples car.

Could have been a contender.

Bing, 10/06/2009

I like the way she drives.. I bought the car with 106k miles on it. Salvaged the ailing (automatic)transmission with transmission conditioner. The window regulators are garbage. They break often and run you over $350 a pop to put in. Don't let a substandard shop work on the car. They will cause you more problems. The car has broken motor mounts, they cause a shimmy when accelerating and cause the CV joints to wear quickly. The engine and Transmission still run really strong with 170,000 miles. Just don't think the rest of the car will last. With TLC early in the life of the car I think it would be running and looking great in every facet.

Good car

German, 01/12/2010

Good car, great on gas will buy an other vw again.

Another great VW

trav87, 01/27/2010

I bought mine used from a local VW dealer, and abuse the snot out of it. I autocross and do hill climbs with this car, as well as daily drive it. Normal wear and tear items get replaced, and regular maintenance keep things going strong. As with any used car, parts tend to wear out faster than new, so be prepared to spend money keeping them going. Do your homework and never buy a used car without having it checked out!

Great little car - GT should do more...

oregongirl225, 01/13/2004

I really like my 1998 Jetta GT, there are a few things that I think VW could have made better, like the shifting is a little harsh. Sometimes takes a while for it to shift. Other than that its a great car... once it shifts normal its fast.

Great Car

great car , 08/24/2005

I bought the car used with 103,000 miles on it in 2004. The paint is still very shiny (exclusive to wolfsburg painting techniques) and the suspension, wheel bearings and other components were still in great condition. The car has decent pickup for a 4-cyl. (faster than my honda) and the 5 speed transmission works beautifully. The engine idles very smoothly and is very reliable. My clutch did however go out at about 107,000 miles which is normal. I get many complements about my car and I love it. The only problem is the door trim, which any able bodied person can fix for 4 dollars by buying a tube of automotive adhesive. Install NEUSPEED products!

Not again!

JLS, 07/17/2006

Although my 1998 Volkswagen Jetta was two years old when I purchased, it had low mileage (it still has low mileage) so I was enthusiastic. I loved the style, the way it handled, and the way it drove. BUT it is a piece of junk. I have had to replace every window control on it, the axels, side trim, throttle body, it quit on the interstate when the coil went out, and on and on. And it is expensive! To have the transmission serviced was $500! I will never purchase another VW of any kind. I still have it because I have too much in it to be able to recoup any expenses but I am going to have to do something with it.. I can't afford to "drive" it!

This is a fun car to drive

B4B, 10/11/2007

I purchased this car new in 1998 and have been religious about maintenance and fixing things before they become expensive problems. I've driven 160,000 miles with no major repairs and still enjoy driving this car. If you stay up on maintenance (yes - brakes, struts, engine, etc.), this car will reward you every day - it is a fun and responsive car to drive and blast through turns. There is a certain "structural integrity" to the Jetta that Hondas and Toyotas lack. It handles well, has a responsive engine for its size and is great to drive. Great on gas too - I get 31 mpg highway.

never buying a VW again

no more vw's, 12/09/2009

car ran well for about a year before everything went wrong. Bought with 76,000 now has 130,000 miles Muffler fell off about 7 times resulting in lots of repair costs. When everything seemed ok the distributor went and needed new wires. After that the spark plugs had a problem resulting in gas killing my catalytic convertor and o2 sensors that =$1,200 worth of repairs. Had steering problems and a few days ago the clutch broke and stuck to the floor. Quick fix for about $200 bucks but warned that the clutch will go very soon. Body is rusting faster and faster where it is to the point that you cannot even jack the car up without the body crumbling. Replacing car ASAP and never buying VW again

Love It!

Frankie, 10/10/2008

I just bought this car a couple months ago, haven't had it too long. My first vw. But i love it! Had to have two of the regulators replaced when i got it but no surprise by all the reviews i keep reading. The back right Bose speaker blew out. The clutch is starting to wear out too, but i think the owner before me drove dirty. So once i get a new clutch ill be running smooth again! Wish my car had the heated leather seats though..

the worst car I have ever had

funkykat, 09/25/2003

The first 1.5 years were great but now,I have replaced exhaust 3 times, clutch rod broke, tried to use hazzard lites, didn't work, have replaced both front and rear brakes and rotors, car now does not like to start in wet weather. horn is malfunctioning and had to pull the fuse to stop it. window washer feature comes out in a small stream of fluid. coolant needs to be purchased at the dealer so it is inconvenient and unsafe. it is not the car to have if you don't have one to rely on while it is in the garage. and it will be, all the time. I will never own another VW

Do you really want one?

redjetta98, 10/27/2005

The Jetta is an interesting car in the beginning when you get it and step on the gas and let out the clutch it feels good you want to drive it. However as you begin life's journey with the vehicles things start to break such as the back rotors which wear out every 40,000 miles because of a "design flaw" the window cable, not the motor, fray because of a "design flaw", the O2 sensor fails because of a "design flaw". Bottom line the entire car is a design flaw and is made with cheap parts which snap together in some instances. Don't be fooled by its good looks, these cars are money pits. Why do people still own them? Most likely they owe more than what the car is worth and are just trying to get by.

VW Jetta GLS is an awesome car.

qjernst, 04/01/2006

I got this car used with 64,000 miles on it last summer. It has decent acceleration and handles like a sports car. The 2.0 liter engine gets OK mileage but it could be better. I have had a few problems with this car but nothing major (eg: new window motor, cruise control doesn't work right). It gets around well in the snow and is perfect for tight parking spots. The interior is very comfortable considering its small size and the buttons and controls are very user-friendly. The automatic tranny shifts great, the engine is good, and the ride is smooth.

Pretty happy with this car

Gediminas, 07/28/2008

I bought this car in 2000 with only 34k mi. I am very hard on cars, and this car has stood up to my "abuses". This car wasn't perfect, though; the crank sensor and cruise control went out on me. Gas mileage is pretty good, but could be better. Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident in 2002 and the car was never the same. The rack boot and front axle needed replacement on 2 occasions, and the heat shield rusted off. Tires were wearing unevenly, and after the latest repair bill (which involves all the above), I have to say goodbye to this venerable car. Outside of those issues caused by the wreck, the only thing I had to do was change the oil and this car was ready to go. I'll miss it.

The engine won't quit

NotherJettaOwner, 12/20/2007

We bought this Jetta back in the beginning of 2001 with nearly 48k on it. This year, I took an outside sales job and I've pushed it from about 137k to 160k and counting. Its days are numbered, as I haven't done much upkeep outside of oil changes, but this sucker still doesnt burn a drop of oil. The coolant is starting to leak a little. Both windows on the driver side are off track and are held in place by pieces of wood propping them up. Radio reception is awful. Transmission will stick going uphill from time to time. We superglued the rubber molding to keep it in place and that has worked pretty well. Knock on wood, the car has never left me stranded.

I Hate my Jetta

Luvzh2o, 11/07/2008

My car has been nothing but an expensive project since I bought it 2 years ago. Fist I had to have all 4 struts replaced, and new tires and alighnment. A few months later it needed a new exhaust and still is having cat issues. I have replaced both front axels, the brakes, new timming belt, and water pump. I have learned how to fix the Windows cause I have had all 4 break on me and its actually simple to replace the regulators, but getting the window back in to possition is a pain. The crank shaft possition sensor was just replaced and now its going back to the mechanic today, there is something wrong in the front end and it needs the valve cover gasket fixed and is leaking oil. What a pile!

Love my Jetta VR6

Johnny Max, 05/08/2002

A very reliable and fun car to drive. The VR6 enigine is very zippy as I hug the turns like a high priced sports car. Many cars on the road give me a double take as my Jetta zips on by them with ease. For the price this car rocks!

Did not enjoy this car

Not a Fan , 05/11/2002

This car has been a major disappoinment. I leased this car new in 1998 and have been trapped in a four year lease! It was great for the first year, but on the one year anniversary of the car, the electrical system shorted out. Since then, my dashboard shorts out and I have to hit the dash to get the lights back on. My stereo gets louder as I try to turn it down. Then my wheel covers ended up missing. To top it all off, my exhaust system fell out, and was not cheap to replace. Now I have an unidentified rattling coming from the rear of the car. I also found that I did not have that great of a gas mileage. Oh well, live and learn. I'll never buy VW again.

Migraine

George, 03/04/2009

I purchased the car with 96K and now have 133K. Repairs so far include: timing chain & belt clutch all 4 window regulators struts, ball joints, control arms - entire suspension AC all hoses sparkplugs now I'm looking at fixing the heater core, which is ~ $700. Also worth noting the radio gets minimal reception, CD player died soon after purchase, electronics are quirky (turn volume down and it goes up), cruise control doesn't work. When there's nothing wrong with the car it drives fine and is fun, but the maintenance is horrible, and I take it to the best and cheapest shop around (Black Forest Industries). Probably put in ~$5K in 40K miles/2.5 years (paid 5600). Never buying a VW again

Nothing but problems

Brent, 01/17/2008

Ever since i have owned this car, i have had to keep putting money into it. New spark plugs, new transmission, window mount broke twice, faulty wiring, engine mount broke, emergency break light stays on some times; it is by far the worst car that i have ever owned. I will NEVER own another volkswagen again.

Absolutely not!

SMO, 07/16/2009

So I bought my nice 1998 jetta in 2008 for a graduation present to myself. Granted the car was 10 years old and I did get it for a deal (sort of)...IT stinks! so far since I've had it (less than a year) I've had to replace the wheel bearings 3 separate times because they've broken while I was driving and I've also done the breaks and rotors twice. On top of that I had to replace the exhaust, all the window motors are messed up, my automatic door locks don't work, the window cable broke, my 02 sensor failed, my cruise control doesn't work, the wiring causes shorts in the lighting and sensors, and my side panels had to be reglued in place. All of this at 120,000 miles? I miss my dodge stratus!

FOURTH JETTA IN THE FAMILY

Doug JR., 06/09/2002

THIS IS THE FOURTH JETTA IN OUR FAMILY. I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE MORE RELIABLE THAN MY PARENTS 2000 JETTA GLS. THE ENGINE IS NOT VERY POWERFUL, BUT ONCE YOU REV IT UP, IT SPRINGS TO LIFE. ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME JUST SHOULDN'T OWN A VW. ONCE YOU DRIVE A JETTA AND LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT EFFECTIVELY, YOU CAN STOP HEARTS. P.S. FOR ALL OF THOSE ANTI VW PEOPLE WHO THINK I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT KEEP THIS IN MIND, I HAVE HAVE TWO PORSCHES 911 & 928, A 328I BMW, AND THIS JETTA. I CHOOSE TO DRIVE MY JETTA DAILY. AND I ALWAYS HAVE A SMILE WHEN I GET HOME!

bullet proof for the most part

kolt, 10/19/2009

I have owned my jetta for about a year got it with 137k replaced the struts pads cleaned the rotors replaced the belts and got a new exhaust. Given how old the car was with the miles all that should be expected I now have 160k plus and I'm replacing the clutch and motor mounts but the car Neva has left me stranded always starts is sweet in the snow and will eat a stock civic. With mods will keep up wit fast cars. Relatively cheap to fix if you can dyi. Its got a good amount of torque for carrying hills but not so much top end for speeding tickets if your looking for a decent looking out side a very Nice inside and and decent lil 4 banger this is what your want v-tec virtually tourqeless economy car

Beg to differ

gys98jetta, 11/23/2009

Great to drive to Sacramento and back and to work and to all my friends houses and then do it all over again.

They got it right--except little stuff

Melweena, 06/18/2002

Overall, I've loved owning VW Jettas. The A/C and Heat are quick to the rescue in tough Wisconsin weather, and the tork in the engine is enough to keep up with quick lane changes in downtown Chicago. If it weren't for just a few cosmetic issues, this vehicle would be superb!

Would Do It Again

JettaDriver, 07/08/2002

I love this car even with its problems. For the money the Jetta is fun to drive, has good power and looks great. The car feels solid and well made for just $16K. Once I learned how to drive the car right, I had plenty of power. You just gotta know how to use those 115 horses. The issue I have with the Jetta: expensive to maintain, battery exploded at 24,000 miles, switch for air cond sometimes doesn't work, wheels covers and reflectors fall off, 3 front and rear wheel alignments, parts are expensive, VW service departments suck, options and add-ons are too expensive. Overall, I love this car.

VW K2

VanWeston, 07/23/2002

this is a great Car very fast. much much car for the money. manny goodies. turns heads I love it

Stay Away

Jetta GLX Blues, 08/05/2002

Stay away from this car. I bought it last June and since September my repair bills have topped $5,000. They are lemons. A lot of little things go and labor kills you. It feels like it has spent more time in the shop then with me. Trust me, they look nice and will run for the test drive, but once you leave the lot, get ready for some headaches.

Great Jetta!

Silazius, 08/28/2002

Very fun to drive. VR6 is a great performer. Fit and finish inside is very good. Exterior fit and finish is excellent. Have had some problems with the fuel oxygen sensor, esp. when there is heavy rain. Also had to have the ignition switch replaced!? This is one of the last old style body types before they "Passatized" the Jetta. Ugh!

No regrets! Great car!

kraziman, 09/19/2002

I bought this car new in 1998. It has always been very fun to drive. Despite it's cramped rear seat, lack of good cup holders (seat adjustment levers hold sport bottles perfectly!), and it's little quirks and rattles, I love this car and would do it all over again. It now has 64,000 miles on it and I would drive it cross-country. It still has awesome power with the VR6/5- speed combo. One tip, let VW install the CD changer. That was my only nightmare and it was because I took it to an after market place.

Bought out the lease

Rickpw, 10/09/2002

I've been driving this 1998 GLX VR6 five-speed Jetta for four years on a lease. I like it so much, I decided to buy the car at lease end. It's still way fun to drive. Every friend who's ever driven it says, "wow, I love driving this car." The pick-up is great and sporty. This GLX is a completely different beast from a regular Jetta, but you probably already knew that. I'd recommend the leather seats, which are especially nice heated. My only problems have been an electrical repair. Also, the tires, because of the sport model, I recently found out are quite expensive! I only have slightly over 50,000 miles on the car, so why not keep driving it?

excellent jetta

xoashyxo, 11/07/2002

this is a wonderful vehicle and i wouldnt change it for the world.

Disappointing Jetta

Pops, 07/10/2002

Lots of problems early on with car. Automatic trans problems. Rear brake problems. Power window problems. Remote alarm problems. Alternator ceased at 30K. Exhaust down-pipe has broken two times.....On and on. Very disappointed in the realiability of this car. I have had many VW's before but this is my first brand new one. It will also be my last.

This Car is for Suckers

Graham25, 12/08/2002

After years of wanting a Jetta, I bought one and...well....be careful what you ask for. The car was great until it the 80,000 mile mark and then small things started going out and then big expensive things started breaking like the clutch. After only 3,000 miles, the clutch has gone out again and VW is refusing to guarantee their workmanship and pay to fix it. I will never buy a VW again and am filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General's Office.

Great Pocket Rocket!

VNMVR6, 12/27/2002

I have owned this car for almost 5 years and it hasn't let me down yet. It runs very smooth and quiet. Quick acceleration. Only problems I have had are the usual VW problems - window regualator failure & loose door molding. No major mechanical work has been needed and my car has 75,000 miles on it! Continues to run strong.

I love my GLX

christi4673, 01/03/2003

I love this car...it is fun to drive and is really peppy. It is such fun, after driving mine, my sister, brother, and 2 co-workers went out and bought one. It has had the typical VW window regulator problem, but it was no big deal to fix. (HINT - don't go to the dealer unless it is under warrenty!)

I do love my Jetta

SarahZ..., 01/26/2003

I have wanted a Jetta for years, and I finally got a 98 this past December. I love it. Its fast, fun to drive and seems to be very reliable. I think the cup holder situations stinks, they are way to small. And the fact that the GL has roll down windows also stinks, I had a 90 Oldsmobile with power windows! Anyway, I so far love this car- its almost everything I want in a car. I love the german feel and design.I love the way the car shifts. I have been told VW's are very expensive to maintain... and I believe it. Well wish me luck-

Fun to Drive but pricey to maintain

vwscal, 09/05/2003

This car is a lot of fun to drive and responds / handles beautifully. I don't think anyone can dispute that. But this car is expensive to maintain! Every repair is pricey! The moldings on my car fall off anually. I've had window regulators repaired and the ignition switch replaced and have had numerous electrical problems that took numerous visits to diagnose and fix. A lot of other interior things to numerous to list that scream - poor workmanship.

1998 Jetta Gt

Jennifer , 07/22/2003

This is a great little car that is extremley fun to drive. Nice exterior styling with Gt upgrades- tinted rear lights, spoiler, alloys silver racing dials. Very, Very safe car. I've been in 2 head on collisions with this car at speeds over 60 km/hr and have walked out of those accidents with a couple bruises. The car goes nice on the highway and the fuel efficiency is fabulous.

LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP

spietrowski, 08/08/2003

The pluses of this car are that it is very fun to drive. The engine is powerful and acceleration great. It feels solid on the road and handles well. HOWEVER, never again. In the 6 years I've owned it I've had to fix: various front end problems, the transmission, window regulators, security system, damaged hoses and now the ABS

Should've bought a Honda

Guni, 08/21/2003

After having an 89 Accord for 10 years it was time to try something new since the body design on the Hondas began to look like suppositories. I really liked the style of the VW. This is not enough reason to buy a VW. Within 3 months the transmission acted up and the dealer tried to tell me it wasn't covered under the bumper2bumper warranty. A year later the ignition coil cracked and had to have that replaced which the dealer did do but the cleaning ($200) wasn't covered. Now there's either a bearing, the tension pulley for the timing belt or the AC compressor has gone. Never had these problems with my Accord. Not worth the headache.

Great VW

Jeremy K., 08/27/2003

I've owned this vehile for almost 3 years now and have felt nothing but love for it. I have to give a little extra care here and there but over all she's one awsome peice of work.

give it a

bgs, 09/11/2003

Extremely reliable, comfortable and enjoyable to drive car, nice design inside and out, "feels" like a more expensive car than it is. Lacks a bit of power, bit sluggish on take-off. Small problems become annoying - moldings come loose, door handles stick, antennae needs to be tightened. Should note previously owned 92 Wolfsburg Jetta had none of these problems.

51050