Used 2011 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

engine fail
By Tyler Harney

2011 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This auto had a significant issue and service recall for intake manifold and fuel injectors at 52,000 miles. Shortly after this repair, the engine failed. Was it timing chain failure? Who knows? I can't afford to replace the engine. It seems that the failure after significant repairs is suspicious. Customer care has ignored our complaints.

5 years later... tuned, fun and smiles
By GTIGR

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's been already 5 years with the GTI (6M, Autobahn). It is my daily commuter. And I take it to short, fun trips with the entire family (wife+2 kids). I thought of trading it for a BMW 2 series or an mk7 GTI (or golf R). But this car has aged like a good red wine. After everything she's done for me, I couldn't give her away. Instead, I added the upgraded APR flash files (v2.1)... fell in love all over again. The car surprises me so much that I giggle every time I put my foot down. Overall, the interior is in outstanding condition with absolutely no squeaks (and germanic fit and finish). Also, I've had ZERO issues with the only thing being ill changes every 7,000 miles. Do I do preventative maintenance before things brake? Yes, I replaced the water pump at 40k (weak link of this car), diverter valve and coil pack (the latter two updates are more related to the tune). In conclusion, take care of her and you'll be fine (true for most German cars).

Buy me, regardless of your age.
By bruce

2011 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

a great sporty little car

Timeless car...
By adoniskev

2011 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Breathtaking... Now in all my years of owning cars this car replaces my all time favorite car my old 2003 Infiniti 4 door sedan.

Taking this beauty from the lot for almost over a week I have yet to head to a gas station to fill up this bad boy.
Gas mileage is amazing!!! Not as amazing as a Prius but I think they are being modest.

It's a German car obviously and vw seems to be titled the poor mans Chanel, and that's okay why?
Well besides not having a 500 payment for a BMW or Mercedes this car is far more eye catching than anything currently on the market.
The other competitors well... They just are either too feminine or rugged for my taste in style.
Timeless is what I named her.

Beautiful red accents, beautiful 18" alloy rims... Looks like VW took some tips from the Italians. This might sound far fetched but I feel like I am entering a Ferrari hatchback... I am not exaggerating...perhaps it's the red accents with that beautiful hood that wraps around the vw logo. Maybe it because those rims are just beautiful to look at!!! Look at the rims from a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, see any similarities? Everywhere I go this car turns heads, I feel kiddish!!! To think I almost bought a fiat!!! Bluetooth, phone dial voice command, touch screen, sunroof, FWD!!! (Great for snow), brake assist, I can keep going!!! Very panoramic view drives like a roller-coaster!!! Fun!!!

No complaints!!! So far... I just had the car for over a week I'll update if I find anything. Final thoughts: I love my car, I park it far away from everyone!!! While my friends drive their BMW and Mercedes I can sleep well at night with my payments and still enjoy all the comforts of luxury without paying the heavy price tag for a name. Almost forgot has a connection for your iphone and storage space for such a small car is amazing!!!

2 years and still fun
By vincevw329

2011 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I live in the NE and use my 2011 VW GTI, DSGwSunroof as a commuter, after 2 years. I continue to enjoy driving with no breakdowns, rattles, or any problems. Mileage is up to 16000 and I recently drove a 750mi one way road trip and this car was fine, but of course small. Everything still applies from my 1 year review. I read in depth about the Bluetooth problem and there is no solution. When using the system and go to make a call with the voice, the volume is simply too loud, I've tried all different adjustments. I have had the experience to use other BT systems and overall the VW system is the best. Only wear after 2 years is the side bolster. Customer service at the dealer has been good.

Build quality is top notch. Recently drove a Mazda 3 (competitor) and was shocked how sloppy everything was. The seams line up better and materials nicer than my Wife's more expensive car. The Bluetooth works great, press the button, say the name, and confirm and your making a call or go through the menus on the display, very easy. I like the firm seats and the cloth shows very little to no signs of wear. The driving experience is the real strong suit of all VWs. If you've never driven one, go take a test drive, it's free, you'll like it or hate it. Rear seats are easy to fold down with tons of room in the back for alot of gear. While more expensive than the comp. to me it's worth it.

Software could fix that really annoying BT volume problem. At $28+ I expect a better rear-view mirror. Storage, what little there is, is small. I understand the Euro version is packed with cubby's of storage but that had to be stripped out of the U.S. version to help pay for the Federally mandated safety systems like TPMS because we're to lazy to check our tire pressure. Please find a way to work some more storage back in without increasing the price. Sometimes there is a gas pedal lag, not sure what's going on there but when it does happen, it's scary when in traffic.