2021 Volkswagen Atlas Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $2,473
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Lots of Space and No Wind Noise

Dan, 03/02/2021
SE w/Technology 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've owned dozens of cars and SUVs. The VW Atlas is a great choice for families who have taller children but don't want a domestic brand SUV or full size gas guzzler. Is the Atlas the best mid-size SUV? No, not really. The Palisade and the Telluride are better. However, the Atlas has more room in the third row and the trunk once all the seats are up and being used. If you like VW's simplistic cabins this is the one for you. I like the fact that the climate controls and the gear shift are the same as all the other cars of past. It still looks great. Let's talk dollar for dollar options. I bought a 2.0 SE with Tech, 4Motion, and sunroof. With all the discounts you get a vehicle that is cheaper with more options than all the other brands. Hyundai and Kia are still selling for more than sticker. Also, the Hyundai and Kia lower models don't have nice big wheels or a power trunk... this is worth money right there. The Atlas drives very will if not a bit harsh over rough pavement... this is true. I drove a Palisade for a week and it was much smoother. HOWEVER... like all Hyundais I've owned in the past, the Palisade becomes very boring to drive. Not sure why, but all VWs are much more entertaining to drive. So, for a car that you can get for around $37k this Atlas has nice features such as a huge moonroof, latest safety tech plus radar cruise, power trunk, Android and Apple car play, perforated fake leather seats, and automatic wipers (that's a nice touch). On paper the Hyundai and Kia might be cheaper, but in reality as of right now that 's not the case. Like I said, we have 4 kids who are all older and taller. We have a minivan for long trips, but they all fit fine in the Atlas which you can't say about most of the other Brands. Trunk space is also good for and SUV. You can cram 5 board cases in the trunk plus a small duffel bag. However, it's still not enough for a road trip of any length. It's fine though if you have less than 6 people. Gas mileage and engine performance are good... not great. I bought the 4 cyl since it had more torque in everyday driving and I don't have to tow anything....oh yes it's cheaper too. So, both engines are about the same quickness. The V6 does sound better at low RPM. The 4 cyl shifts less even on the HWY. Gas mileage is about 18 in town and 22 on the HWY. That's about as good as it gets. The V6 didn't do any better when I had it as a rental car. I started putting premium gas in my Atlas and I swear I can feel a power and response difference. But most people might not. The steering is very light...almost too light, but it's not a deal breaker. Oh yes... this car generates NO wind noise. It's almost limo like when on the open road. Doesn't matter how hard the wind blows, there is almost no noise. Overall this is a great family car. I've only had it 3 months but so far no issues of any kind. Bluetooth works fine and all the other gadgets work well. So far so good.

Would Buy Again! 2021 SEL PREMIUM 4 MOTION

shineykate, 04/14/2021
SEL Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The VW Atlas has both the roominess I need and the luxury of German engineering with style. SO MUCH STYLE! (*I've owned a Jeep Commander and a BMW X3 - neither even compare to the Atlas.) I love looking at the Atlas as much as I love driving it and I've never felt like that about any vehicle I've ever owned. I read 10M reviews before deciding to test drive and ultimately purchase a brand new Atlas in December of 2020. I had read about horsepower being an issue, but I have always felt like it was zippy for as large as it is. It's obviously not a sportscar and while it doesn't ignite like one, it's incredibly smooth on the road and quiet. I can't say enough good things - I plan on driving it forever!

Lots of problems dealership can't fix

Alex L, 05/23/2021
SEL R-Line 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Dec 18/20 - picked up 2021 Atlas R Line that we purchased from the dealership. Since then, we have had to visit your dealership 5 times (in the past 5 months) for an issue that remains unresolved. Each time that we leave the dealership, we are assured that the issues have been resolved. We now video the problems and send them to the service manager. The infotainment system seems to be the problem - we've had continued intermittent issues with the bluetooth not working for phone calls and playing music, radio volume shuts off and we can't bring the volume up, backup camera freezes or goes black, and climate control don't work. The car has had two new radio modules installed in an attempt to fix the ongoing issues. We were told by the dealership that this was not a known issue by VW and our vehicles was the only one with this problems. We approached two with the same vehicle and they had experienced similar problems. We love tlthe vehicle when it works but would not recommend buying one until these problems are fixed.

Ad
Build Your Atlas
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 8 Trims
  • $31,555starting MSRP

One Week of Ownership Atlas SEL

rtw21288, 10/17/2020
V6 SEL 4MOTION 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Just purchased an Atlas SEL. So far a very smooth ride. We are coming from a 2012 Honda CRV, and the room and storage space is night and day. Captains chairs are a must I feel if using the third row often. Wider and more seating room than Highlander. Quieter and more refined than the Explorer. Many prefer the Palisade and Telluride, but we honestly got better rebates and incentives going with Atlas. We just took a 600 mile road trip and averaged a little bit over 22 mpg. Time will tell on durability and reliability, but so far so good.

Front aid technology issues galore!

N/A, 04/04/2021
SEL Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

What else is there to say other than my car has been to the dealership 9 times since July and the issues are still not resolved!! A front camera that has been replaced but not working as the firmware is not compatible with the software of the car, lane assist that disengages on its own, front driving aides that will signal a crash is imminent with nothing in front of you and front sensors that either do not work at all OR will not stop going through a drive through or in traffic!! Dealership is great but VW corporate is dragging there feet on helping me out! Clearly something wrong with this one so either put me in a new one or buy me out!

12345...6