2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Atlas model:

VW Atlas SE
By Pacheco

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV SE w/Technology 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Awesome. It feels strong and safe and the panel instrument is.....a m a z i n g !

Great so far!
By Andrea

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SE w/Technology 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We bought this car back in April and have just over 11,000 miles on it so far. Here is what we love: The space! Every person that gets into our car is amazed by how open and roomy it feels. The back seat is very comfortable and even the third row is pretty comfortable for a grown adult. My husband also loves the screen and it's interface. It has a very sleek feel to it. What we were surprised by: The engine. So everyone complains that it is under powered and honestly we would have agreed with that during the first several thousand miles, but for a family car and my follow the speed limit driving style it wasn't an issue. Now my husband, really likes to get up and go. After about 10,000 miles the acceleration speed and overall performance of the engine had GREATLY improved. Even my husband was impressed with how much better it did after being broke in. What could be improved: The gas mileage isn't great, but I wouldn't be looking for a large SUV if I was really that interested in my gas mileage. We average right around what the sticker says. (Because terrain makes a difference on mpg: Where we live is very flat, but we are constantly battling strong winds.) We would 100% purchase this car again. I absolutely love the comfort and the technology features. I have had zero regrets and I am so glad we chose the Atlas over it's comparable competitors.

Air conditioning issues
By Evelyn cardona

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 Launch Edition 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Have problems with my atlas air conditioning. It's been in the shop 3 times. The air conditioning does not work properly. On 1 you can barely feel air and it throws warm air instead of cold. Dealership can't fix it right and try to lie by saying there made like that. I had it with them.

Large, gas-thirsty jalopy
By Alex Gorsky

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 Launch Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Bought one in June of 2017, based mostly, on some experience with VW in Europe. We haven't expected much in terms of reliability, but with long warranty decided to go for it. For the last year there were seven recalls, several suspension and A/C issues -- and VW tried to wiggle out of covering the warranty at least once (eventually we prevailed). Overall:
The good:
- design is solid and inoffensive
- plenty of room
- good visibility
The bad:
- reliability
- VW are experts on "decontenting": the base model made terrible on purpose - A/C controls are useless (and one cannot control the rear vents from the driver seat), the materials are nasty, the seats are uncomfortable -- in a$35k car!
- the real-life fuel "economy" is much worse than claimed. It's not a big deal for us, but we average 12g in the city and 20 on highway
- the automatic transmission is poor
- overly soft, wallowy suspension

My 2018 Atlas and it Parking Assist Malfunctions!
By Frank A. Petillo, Sr.

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas SEL back on March 2018. After having it 3 days, I had to bring it in to service for a clanking noise on the passenger front wheel. Started noticing a rattle from the passenger front end when driving over rough terrain at a slow speed. The Dealer fixed it and that was good. We also complained that the Park Assist system was malfunctioning and it seems to be temperature related. Took it in and was told the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem and it operated normally. After getting the vehicle back from the dealer, it continued to occur, this time stopping the vehicle arbitrarily and flashing all the dash light like we were going to crash!! Took it into the dealer along with video about the occurrence. They updated firmware and talked to VW and when we received the car back, it happened again. It continued to occur this time we notice it only happening at temperatures above 80 degrees. We finally get VW Customer Card involved.....they have QTM tell the dealer to replace the sensors in the front of the vehicle. Received it back with same problems. We tried to initiate a buy back with VW and was recently denied. They recommend that we bring it back in to service. I wasted enough time with this vehicle and since the dealer will not be able to reproduce it (Now that it is fall here in NJ and temps are not going to get to 80+ degrees) we are going to contact an attorney to file a lemon law claim. I wanted to be sure that I can at least spare someone of the headaches this vehicle and VW has caused for my family and I. Yes it comes with 6 year 72,000 mile warranty, but the service departments are not prepared to address issues with this vehicle. This makes the warranty useless.