2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Atlas model:

1 year old and 10k miles
By Desiree

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 S 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

No issues so far. I drive my vehicle on a daily. I love it. It's so spacious and comfortable. It's perfect for a family car. Its stylish and roomy my kids love it. I choose the atlas because it was the most affordable and stylish SUV on the market.

Worst ever.
By Endy

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

It is my first VW and will be my last VW. Worst reliability and service.

We love the VW Atlas
By KSM Ewing

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We knew that purchasing a vehicle it's release year was risky. We opted for the AWD SE. This has all the bells and whistles we need without having so much technology that we risk it failing. We did our research and realized the Tech version was the one that seemed to have all of the problems. I've seen reviews stated the vehicle would stall in traffic and the engine light would turn on. This is the stop-and -go technology that many people get confused on, if the vehicle shuts off to save on fuel and then you attempted to turn it on with the ignition button instead of taking your foot off the brake, the engine light will briefly come on. If stop-and-go technology isn't for you, you can turn the feature off each time you restart the thing. This is new technology and it's going in all new vehicles, people aren't use to it yet. I drive an average on 50 miles a day, mostly highway, I get 21.1 MPG, not bad considering how roomy it is. If we put a mid to higher grade fuel in it we do get even better gas mileage. We took it on a vacation in the mountains, I must say, this made me LOVE it even more. It handled like a dream, hugged the road on winding turns, and the headlights lit the side of the roads great, we were able to see any critters that may jump out in front of us in advance. The had 4 adults and 2 kids and our luggage, we had plenty of room without the everyone complaining they were mushed. The whole time we were in the mountains we had great MPGs! My only knock on the vehicle, I wish it had a better variety of colors. The only color options at our dealership was a white, black, silver, charcoal, dull navy blue and the ugly pea green/yellow. The lines on the car are beautiful and brighter, richer, colors would be best. The only colors that really show the lines are silver, white, and the ugly yellow/green, since there are tons of white SUVs on the road we opted for silver.

In shop as much as out of it!
By Brandon

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SEL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I won't leave a long winded break down of my experience... my story is similar to many others already posted: my Atlas has been in the shop for a total of 60 days as of posting this, and I was just told that they didn't expect to have "the part" until October. 60 days I have been paying for an Atlas with almost every option available, but for 60 days I have been driving a basic Golf that doesn't even have GPS. This is my wifes car, and her not having in-dash GPS is a big deal. She uses it to get everywhere, so now she is staring at her phone while driving... We can't get an Atlas loaner because they are selling too fast and they need them all on the sales floor?! Owning the Atlas in like playing Russian Roulette with your time, safety, and money. You might be one of the lucky ones, or you might not... With so many nice 3rd row SUV's on the market now, I would not take the chance. We are hoping to get our's purchased through the Lemon Law soon and will be looking at other SUV options.

2 months owned 4 engine light service visits
By Curtis mcclure

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SUV V6 SEL Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Don’t buy this car unit. They fix the engine light/fuel tank issues. I brought the car in 4 times during my 2 month ownership, 3 of them times my engine light was on, I was told by Hendrickson Frisco, tx there was no issue with the car and they reset the engine light. I lost confidence in that service department and brought it to another who explained I had at minimum 2recalls on the car including an fuel issue which could have caused the fuel tank to catch fire. Don’t trust the Frisco dealer ship they said everything was safe to drive despite reparated engine light issues. I paid 56k for a lemon. Service department and post sales support terrible. Wish I waited for the Subaru to be released.