2019 Volkswagen Arteon Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$35,845

Save as much as $5,662
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A refined sport sedan that can bring the muscle!

Anthony, 07/07/2019
SEL Premium R-Line 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD w/19" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased one of the first available fully loaded SEL Premium R-Line Arteon in New England. I was drawn by the shape, design, and performance of the Arteon. Car and Driver magazine selected the Arteon as one of the 15 most beautiful cars for 2019. If you don’t want the looks and stares from people or for them to come up and ask you about this car, I would say buy something else! When you get tired of the “comfort mode” and want performance just put it in the “sport mode” and use the paddle shifters for a more aggressive driving experience. The Arteon was rated at 27 mpg on the highway, but I have found surprisingly good fuel economy on the highway. Over the first 3K miles I am averaging between 32-34 mpg. It has an amazing cargo space with more than 27 cubic feet and with the seats down more than 50 cubic square feet. My favorite features include: the digital cockpit, 4Motion all-wheel drive, ventilated and massaging driver’s seat, 700 watt Dynaudio sound system, 360 degree camera, Apple Car Play, adaptive chassis control, and adaptive cruise control. All in all I am very pleased with the car. I would say it is not a true performance sedan, but rather a semi-luxury sedan that can be aggressive when you need it to be. It comes with a 6 year/72K miles limited warranty which is one of the best available. On the down side, I needed to buy a 12V-to-USB converter for the rear seat, as there are no rear seat USB outlets.

Premium At a good price

Angad Singh, 06/18/2019
SE 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The Arteon is a beautiful car for enthusiasts looking for a spacious sedan. Based on it’s size it is right up there with the Audi A5 Sportback. The power is sufficient enough to coast through a highway at good speeds. The 260 Pound feet torque at low rpm makes it easy to take over. The car is huge on space. I am 6 feet tall and never had an issue with the space. The back seat is humongous and it could easily fit 3 at the back. The boot is spacious and stylish. The digital cockpit will be a nice addition along with an already excellent 8 inch infotainment screen with  Carplay standard. It is easy to maneuver in the city and an excellent drive on the highway. It’s a true Grand Touring Car.

Great Looking & a Pleasure to Drive

Dan G, 08/10/2019
SE R-Line 4dr Hatchback w/20" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My 2019 Manganese Gray Arteon SE R-Line is not only a good looking sedan but an overall pleasure to drive. The MSRP is a little steep on this car but you should be able to get a good price with a little effort making this a bargain for the quality and features that comes with this car. The engine is more than powerful enough to meet your everyday needs and effortlessly accelerates when needed. I was originally worried about driving on the 20” Rosario wheels but the suspension and multi-mode DCC adaptive chassis control make for a smooth drive unlike any of my previous cars. In addition, I have not experienced any Turbo lag as noted by a few professional reviewers who stomp on the gas expecting once again the performance of a VW Golf R - the Arteon is a GT not a Sports car. I was also impressed by how well the stock sound system performed, ease of use of the infotainment system, and all the space available in both the front and back seats along with the in creditable 27+ sf of rear cargo area available due to the Arteon being a Hatch/Liftback – who needs to drive a compact SUV when you have that much space in a great looking sedan. I am extremely happy with my purchase and once again have a smile on my face being in a car that is a true pleasure to drive.

Ad
2019 Volkswagen Arteon SE

Love it

First VW, 11/02/2019
SEL Premium R-Line 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD w/19" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought mine a week ago. Switched from an SUV. The digital display is beautiful, and the car handles great. Tight cornering, and the drive modes actually change the experience. Style is unique. Fun to drive, like it way better than the Accord. I can even fit 8' pieces of trim from the hardware store. Buy the SEL Premium w/OUT the R-Line. Save a ton, get better wheels, and only give up HUD. Only complaint - premium fuel and poor-ish fuel economy.

Almost perfect car for the price

Arteon Owner 3485, 01/01/2020
SEL R-Line 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD w/20" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

First .. don't be fooled by the MSRP prices. Dealers very willing to heavily discount. More than 10% as we closed out 2019. With the discounts we are at pricing similar to a high end Accord or Camry or an Outback. And much nicer car than these with much more exclusivity. Why compare to an Outback? Because interior cargo space is in similar ballpark. Not as big but incredible for a great looking sedan like vehicle. The car is beautiful from almost every angle and the interior is first rate. Ignore some of the reviews saying interior is not up to Audi standards. I liked the Arteon more than the Audi A5 and the leasing costs were much much less than the Audi. Power is amazing when you use the paddle shifters. Just OK when the automatic transmission does it. I love the car. Rides much better than the Volvo S90 I just turned in, off lease. Only real complaint .. initial quality is just OK. Two weeks after delivery I have it in the shop for some minor fixes including an annoying vibration sound. But VW is great. They think it is the sunroof and are considering replacing the roof to eliminate the sound. Overall .. I highly recommend the car. Incredible cargo space, very fast if you do the shifting yourself, beautiful interior and exterior and pricing in hi end Honda and Toyota range after discounts.

More features than many $50k; ignore the MSRP

J.Small, 01/13/2020
SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I searched and searched for a stylish sedan with important features like AWD, suspension- and steering-adjusted driving modes (not just transmission shift points), keyless entry, driver memory, a real back seat, etc. and couldn’t find anything that wasn’t priced over $50,000. Then I was surprised to discovery that no one (within a 200 mile radius) actually sells the Arteon anywhere near the MSRP or invoice. So many reviews of the reviews of the Arteon compare it to cars that sells for $10,000 more (actual sales price, TMV) or that are no where nearly as stylish or sporty. Not to mention the 6yr/72k warranty. I also find it strange how reviewers don’t seem aware of many features. Most seem to cut-and-paste generic descriptions f the Driving Modes, reading as if they simply change the way the transmission behaves, though mention is sometimes made of the adjustable DCC suspension. But no one mentions the way the steering can be adjusted in the Driving Mode, let alone the behavior of the climate control and adaptive headlights. Even VW seems to hide details on its website and brochures. For example, try to find a description of the auto-dimming and auto-folding side mirrors. How about the auto-recline seat entry? I tried to spec out and Audi A4 with comparable features before realizing the Arteon has equipment that cannot be found on a fully loaded A4 (remote start, for example). I would agree that some of the interior details are not as nice as, say Volvo’s or Audi’s, but pretty much on par with the entry level Mercedes and BMWs. But I also think the Arteon virtual cockpit display is vastly superior to those in other luxury brands. I also agree that the silly R-Line appearance package be avoided, and the oversized wheels just roughen the ride and make road noise louder. Not a smart move for VW to provide R-Lines to reviewers! The Arteon is not a sports car. It’s a sporty sedan. Once properly setup (not just selecting the Sport mode), the Arteon provides a near perfect balance of not only sport and comfort, but also utility with spacious rear seats and a huge hatch opening trunk. I

IT'S A "BO DEREK!"... (an absolute "10!") LOL

T Ryman, 05/13/2020
SEL R-Line 4dr Hatchback w/20" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm now 6 weeks into my lease of a new 2019 VW Arteon SEL R-Line. I've read every YouTube and car magazine review, test drove the Arteon and sedans like it multiple times... and then saw the deal being offered directly by VW (the best way to go into a dealer for a lease or purchase). The "incentive" offered on this model, spec'd as I wanted it (SEL & an R-Line), was $10,200(!) off MSRP (or cap reduction for lease) of $43,225. Sold. Sold. Sold! I have not seen a 2020 Arteon in any Phoenix VW dealer yet, so their inventories are of the 2019s. Everything about this car is top shelf. Fit and finish is superb, as you expect fr the Germans, gas mileage has exceeded the EPA estimates, and handling is like a car costing $20K more. The tech and safety is state-of-the-art, and oh yeah... the bumper-to-bumper warranty on the 2019s is 6 yrs/72,000 miles. What?! Lol. Pure joy to drive short or long distance (in whatever mode you're feeling: Economy, Comfort, Sport, or "Custom") and, I have effortlessly done 120mph when these flat, never-ending Arizona highways are Covid empty. Might even buy a SirriusXM subscription after my 3-month trial runs out... the music system sounds that good. Also enjoy the large sunroof, the paddle shifters when I gotta beat the BMW 3-series anything, and the digital dash ("gauge cluster" - those Germans!) In conclusion, no I do not work for VW, or any company related to, or working with VW in any way whatsoever. I just think it's an awesome car, (now) at a great price. Like one of the other reviewers commented, its a stunningly attractive body shape, unique, with folks constantly admiring it, asking me about it, saying, "that's a VW?" I smile, nod, and remotely start & unlock the car. Prost! ("cheers" in German).

SEL Premium - Excellent Value

Saltydogmarsh, 03/12/2020
SEL Premium 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My soon-to-be-wife convinced me that I needed a nice car for work. I’ve driven Porsche sedans and coupes, and had a Mercedes C class in the driveway before. People tend to make snap judgments over having a luxury car in the parking spot. But, no one wants to see their boss in a crap car. For me, this car fit a perfect niche. Excellent style and handling and unpretentious branding from VW. I am absolutely loving this car. It handles like an Audi car and deserves luxury car credit.

Arteon-a piece of art

VW Fan, 03/22/2020
SEL R-Line 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD w/19" Wheels (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

If you are intrigued, don’t wait. This car is fantastic. It’s everything I have been hoping would return to VW. Comparing to Passat (I have only driven Passats since the 90’s except for my Phaeton), the Arteon is more upscale and has a lot more options. The critics are wrong about this car! I’m glad to see the Arteon is bringing back some of the things that I have missed in the Passats as they were being Americanized, The Arteon is by far the best VW since the Phaeton left in 2006 ( I still have mine). I think the Arteon must be VW’s answer to bringing back the Phaeton. The Arteon is a better alternative than its Audi counterpart. The reviews on the 4 cylinder engine have been mixed but it is perfect for everyday driving and provides enough ooomph to satisfy the average driver. Also the MSRP reviews are mixed but I was able to secure one with 10% off and 0% financing so I was happy. The warranty is unmatched. You can’t compare this car to an Accord or Camry or Stinger. Just not in the same class. This car has a class of its own (that’s what I used to say about the Passats from 2000-2006). Fantastic drive and ride and it’s a looker for sure. I test drove it three times before I bought....glad I did.

Fabulous car

Jff, 05/18/2020
SE 4MOTION 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I find the value quotient of this car to be compelling (albeit at the highly discounted price I paid). Many small things are provided on this low trim level. A rear seat ski pass through, power emergency brake, sun glass cubby, angled easy insert seat belts, exact read tire pressure monitor, oil temperature gauge, covered cup holders, and automatic air recirculating are all nice touches. The car is gorgeous! It handles well with excellent steering. Ride quality equals the Audi A6’s I have had. The hatchback design creates a huge and versatile cargo area. The blind spot warning indicator in the mirror is the biggest and most noticeable I’ve come across. no need to pay for a Navi with apple CarPlay. Gas mileage is better than expected, beats EPA figures, and is over 30 on the highway. What’s not to like: could be a little quicker/sportier, could have larger glove box and cabin storage, could have higher level plastics if you are a car plastic connoisseur.

51050