2021 Toyota Venza Consumer Reviews

Incentive offers available
Select your model:
12345...16

Pros
Cons

Definitely a great car for SOME people!

RMH, 12/11/2020
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went from a BMW X3 m40i to this car. From the first week I had the BMW, I had issues with the brakes, the electronics, total engine shutdown, and the list goes on. Yes, it was fun to drive (when it was running) but I was tired of being a frequent flier at the local BMW service center. My family and friends have Toyotas and can vouch for their reliability, so I began researching the new Venza. I wasn't a fan of the old Venza station wagon but really liked the new body style. I test drove the car and found it had all of the qualities I wanted (Toyota reputation/reliability, excellent fuel economy, great safety features, nice ride, comfortable seats, and decent power). Before the test drive I was worried this car wouldn't have enough power, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not going to win you any races but the car has enough guts to get you moving and pass others when needed. The interior could use more storage space/cubbies, and the center stack could be better designed (the power button is in an odd spot, and the placement of the wireless charger is a bit awkward), but overall is well appointed, clean and comfortable. The seats are so comfortable - but keep in mind the passenger's seat does not come with lumbar support. There's plenty of cargo space in the back, as long as you aren't planning to haul large items on a regular basis. If you need more cargo space, the RAV4 or CR-V might be better options. I'm not crazy about the button-less infotainment screen, but found it's very intuitive to use and access what's needed. For stereo volume, I use the volume knobs on the steering well & that works well. Although Apple CarPlay/Android Auto are not wireless, they're accessible via a USB and very easy to set-up. Now, the overall positives: gas mileage (using regular gas) is incredible; the car is quiet and the ride is very smooth and compliant; the steering and brakes are excellent and the brakes are better than other hybrid brakes I've tried; the seats are comfortable and driving position is excellent; as for the negatives: although there's sufficient power, it could always use more; there is some wind noise at highway speeds; the rear turn signals sit in the lower bottom portion of the car, vs higher-up, and the headlights could be brighter. But those are minor gripes for what I feel is a great overall car.

Venza is a Lexus 350

Jack, 12/15/2020
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 2016 Rav 4 Hybrid Limited for the 2021 Venza Limited w/o the moonroof. As a big fan of the Toyota Safety features this Venza has sensors for about any fender bender & up imaginable. The cameras are awesome including the front end view & 360 look around. I like the Technology, 12” screen & navigation, easy to use.Toyota throws in the first year on Safety Connect that connects your Venza to basically an OnStar type service.You can lock ,unlock ,start the car etc..roadside assistance, enhanced navigation, etc..The sound proofing makes a huge difference over my Rav 4..Enhances the JBL sound system..quiet ride, smooth acceleration, with 42 mpg on avg so far..but I do baby it..I test drove a 2021 Lexus RX 350 (gas) prior to the Venza & couldn’t justify the 10k additional price..All in all a Safe, solid, high tech , great mpg, attractive crossover..And its got a JT vin #..Made & Assembled 100% in Japan..excellent quality control..

Perfect car for SOME people

JimB, 10/19/2020
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are an active, retired couple who love to travel. No need for 3rd row seats, looking for comfort, safety assistance, and fuel efficiency. We bought the upgraded seat package, but didn’t want the moonroof. Also opted to use Apple Play & our phones for navigation because write-ups indicated the 12” screen w/nav was overly complicated versus the 8” screen w/o nav. Wanted a good audio system, but didn’t need the upgraded one. Also, nav & upgraded audio not worth the upcharges. This car is PERFECT for us. It rides almost as well as our Lexus RX, and the seats are almost as comfortable. That says a lot. Car handles beautifully, and the drivers assist package is excellent. Makes longer interstate trips a breeze. Cargo space is not huge, but enough space for 4 adults to travel very comfortably, and carry luggage for a week long trip.

Ad
Build Your Venza
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 3 Trims
See pricing and options on your next Toyota
Prototype shown with options with available accessory cargo cross bars.

More modern feel than the RAV4

Emily, 11/10/2020
LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Less cargo than the RAV4 hybrid , but when comparing the LE trim on both the Venza is the clear winner. Automatic lift gate open with the swing of the foot. Electric driver seat, bigger console screen, quieter ride...etc. this is why I chose the Venza LE over other trims as well, you really get a lot of bang for your buck. One of the complaints of the higher trim levels is the lack of knobs for all the climate, volume and inside controls. Not so in the LE trim, it has physical and luxurious knobs!! The ride is much smoother than the RAV 4, as well. The transition between gas and electric is much less noticeable in the Venza, thanks to more insulation. Even the glass used in the Venza is higher quality than in the RAV. I got the Venza for just $500 more than the RAV 4 hybrid LE. Totally worth it.

Great economy, and style, not perfect.

Luckyme, 04/10/2021
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a loaded Limited with Star Gaze. I’ve owned other Toyota Hybrids, which all have a great place for most drivers. The Venza is returning 39-42 MPG. I’ve had Hybrid Prius’ Camrys, and Avalon. The Avalon Hybrid was so much nicer, but I like the easier in/out height of the Venza. All are good cars. The new Venza caught my attention as I was driving a 2020 Subaru Outback Touring. Somewhat mundane and irritating archaic CVT. Good car, but wanted more style and it was not too good on fuel. Driving 30K+ per year, and gas prices are going up due to new direction of politics, I decided to go back to a hybrid. The Venza is stylish, nicely appointed interior, and has enough get up and go for its size. Driving dynamics are fine for me, but not at all sporty as the style suggests. Somewhat mundane, but I’m OK with that. The Star Gaze roof is interesting, but living in Sunny SWFL, it stays covered, not open to the light. Only tried it once. The touch screen is better than the Subaru, as it reacts better to touch, but I would like some basic knobs. The interior storage is smaller than I’m accustomed to, hope I can live with it. I’m a bit disappointed in the tire/road noise, especially on not perfectly smooth pavement. It may be the Bridgestone eco tires, which I’ll eventually switch out to a better riding tire. I’ve seen other reviews comparing it to a Lexus RX? Not even close. We’ve had 2 RX’s, and my wife currently drives a ES300 Hybrid. The Venza is no comparison to the quiet, smooth ride of either Lexus. I’d drive a Lexus Hybrid, but my work does not dictate driving a Luxury brand. Overall, I’m happy with the Venza initially, but a bit disappointed in its overall package. Update after about 6 weeks: I tend to trade cars every couple years. This is the first time I’ve taken delivery on a car (and I’ve done about 36 new purchases in my life) and regretted my choice so quickly. It’s really my fault as I wanted a high MPG SUV and when seeing the Venza on line, it impressed me, so much more than in person after receiving it. Due to lack of inventory to view and spend time with, I ordered and waited for delivery. I had an earlier Venza AWD, and it was a somewhat bland, but good vehicle. I’ve owned many other Toyota Hybrids, and they are what they are. Non-exciting, efficient, highly dependable cars. Some were luxurious like our Avalons, and Lexus ES300 Hybrid. Even our past Camry hybrid seemed more composed than this Venza. And I honestly thought the Venza would be more luxurious. It’s got good looks (especially its tail end), interior is nice, efficiency at 40 MPG excellent, power acceptable. Engine drone was more prevalent than expected from Toyota Hybrids and CVT’s, just acceptable. But I found a few issues after owning for 3000 miles that just did not work for me. 1) Interior Space: This model just simply does not do well at providing interior storage or cargo capacity. Very little spaces for much of anything for driver relating to glasses, phones, etc. Not even a sunglasses holder (What was Toyota thinking in a $42K Limited). It’s smaller that the KY built Venza of the past, which is odd for Toyota. Cargo space is lacking, and that turned out to be a real issue for me. 2) Ride Quality: The Venza seems to ride harshly for a $42K SUV. Road noise was awful after coming from a Subaru Outback. Road surfaces less than smooth were annoying from this suspension, and maybe the eco focused tires lent themselves to that? Just did not come off as a smooth enough ride for trips and not too relaxing. Handling otherwise was acceptable. 3) Touch screen was challenging to work around. Needs some basic buttons or knobs to eliminate repetitive searching and adjustments. Not the best in responsiveness. Overall, its a good car, and certainly expected to be dependable. But in my short ownership, it seemed like a cheaper car (aka: maybe its sibling for other markets) with some lipstick and high heals to make it flashier for USA market. I was not that impressed. I traded for a Highlander Platinum, and find it was what I should have bought in the first place.

12345...16