2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

THE WRONG MOVE
By Johnny Cash

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had a great truck in the 2008 Tacoma thought the 2016 was a beautiful truck had to have one. But the truck is not as good as it looks it has the lugging problem that all other 2016 Tacoma trucks have it also has a roaring going down hill when you let off the gas and if you are on interstate it jumps from one gear to the other like riding bucking horse. Toyota tried the new fix still same thing for 13,000 miles first they said it would get better when I took it in at 2,000 said the computer had to adjust to my driving well it has not yet so my next move is to trade this truck if they cannot fix there problem.

2016 TRD OR DCLB- Not worth the hype
By Tacoma Tom

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2016 DCLB TRD-OR for 6 months and 14,000 miles. I tried really hard to like this truck, but the engine and transmission combination in this vehicle is absolutely horrible. It can't make up its' mind what gear it wants to be in, constantly upshifting and downshifting. The slightest incline on the highway and your greeting with a downshift into 4th gear. I had to search for and find the TSB supposedly to 'fix' this (called the 'Shift Feeling Enhancement', and force the dealer to apply it. It only marginally helped. The straw that broke the camels back was the horrible highway gas mileage- western states have posted 80mph and I was lucky to get 16 mpg highway. Even in flat as a pancake IOWA we averaged 14 mpg over a stretch of 100 miles. The dealer told me to wait until after 10,000 miles to let the engine really break in and my mpg should get better. It didn't. We just traded the Tacoma for a double cab Silverado 1500 LTZ with the big 6.2L v8 and 8spd tranny. On my first tank of gas I am averaging 19mpg- 3 mpg better than my Tacoma ever did. There are much better trucks out there- the Tacoma is sorely disappointing.

Dissapointed
By mTacoma

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this truck because of Tacoma's seemingly historical reliability...however, it's been a mess of issues. Horrible transmission, low power, vibrations in the drive-train somewhere, rattling windows, shift flares, entune radio that reboots when it feels like it. Terribly dissapointed in the quality. And, to boot, Toyota claims everything is operating normally! HA! What a load of crap.

This new truck is garbage
By David A

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2016 TRD 4x4 off road, bought it with (7) miles on it about 2k it started shaking when driving on the highway I thought it was a balance issue, nope, it's been 10k miles, replaced tires, replaced wheels, balance done 8 times.....the steering wheel shakes the whole truck shakes, everything in the truck shakes it's comical, "not when it's yours" anybody who goes for a ride mentions it, it feels like a salvage truck, the dealership tells me "oh it's a truck" BS My last truck was a 2013 Tacoma it was totaled hit a center divide, the frame shifted, I fixed it that truck felt better then this "clean title"

No real issues after a year of ownership.
By Zak

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I know there are a several people that are not happy with their 2016 Tacomas for various reasons posting here. One of the consistent reasons that come up is the transmission shifting issue. I noticed the same issue after my first week of ownership. Driving from Dallas to Shreveport, the transmission was constantly hunting for gears and if I was using cruise control, the slightest incline would cause it to downshift and stay stuck in 4th gear. This was incredibly annoying, but I knew Toyota would fix it. Now that Toyota has finally fixed this issue, my truck is perfect. If you are having the transmission issue, ask your service dealer to apply the T-SB-0077 transmission update. I own the double cab TRD off road model and it performs very well on the road and trails. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably just buy the 4x4 SR model and do all of my own customizations instead of buying the Toyota upgrade models.