Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I'll NEVER SELL IT!
By John Rudolph

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had this truck for 24yrs. Very little over-all investment. My wife has had 7 cars. Enough said.

Not sure these trucks can be killed.
By shelbert1

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned 2 vehicles since 1985, my whole driving life.
My 1st truck at 15 was a 1980 toyota pickup, I ran it to 550k miles before giving it to my brother in 1998.

I purchases this 1996 Tacoma as a replacement.
Was hoping for half the life of my 1st.
It did not disappointed me yet.
Just turned over 350k miles and is still my daily driver.
Would not even think twice about heading cross country.

I have replaced a starter,
clutch master cylinder,
and all bushings and ball joints (only one failed but I changed them all).
Have yet to even replace the clutch but it is starting to slip

I will buy another one if this one does give it up.

This truck is pretty featureless so really allot to praise feature wise. Its manual windows, standard transmission, For a small truck it is fairly roomy, as I am 6' 2" and I still fit comfortably.

I would like to see the door handles made of metal, For a truck that last forever the plastic handles eventually dry up and get brittle. I have replaced 2 drivers handles so far.

Engine is worn out
By christopherrum

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically.
Chemicals did help my transmission.

Great, simple, useful truck. Like a car to me but easy to throw stuff in the bed and move things. Really like the look and functionability.

More reliability with the engine and transmission BUT, I have no idea how it was cared for before I got it so this is only a partially useful review.

Toyota reneges on Frame Recall
By mmcd1

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Toyota Canada has denied any payout as the 15 yr program has ended. I had the truck in for the recall in April 2010 and now the truck is dangerous to drive and unsalable. Also my youngest daughter had been driving the truck to Toronto for school, which has obviously put her some peril with a faulty frame.
I spoke with a Customer service rep named Steven ID# 5001, who told me that it has been decided and there is nothing that anyone can do. He would not give me a name or number of anyone above him to speak with regarding the decision.
This is one of many Toyotax that I have owned and I am more than disappointed, I plan to sue!!

Honor the Recall!!

Tacoma wish it were a trophy truck
By rambo for hire

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

2.7 169,000 on it. I purchised this truck from an air force full bird col. that told me he never did anything maintenance wise, but put 31 bfg's at's, but the first week I noticed a fuel leak in the #4 injector bank bad o-ring was the problem but replaced all 4 along with other related parts. Then I noticed during the summer when the engine was hot it was hard to start, mass airflow was dirty cleaned it with b-12 works great. Then came the front wheel bearing that went, i never seen one as hard as this the best way to tackle this is to take the spindle off and take it to Toyota service department, be sure not to damage the brass bushings you have to buy a new hub for $168.00.

cup holder in front of a/c vents, keeps my beer cold. lol. all bulbs are easy to change unlike my gf car 08 accord low headlight beams poor, tire and finder well have to be removed.

I put a set of icon extended travel shocks on adjustable ride height up to 3.25 inches of lift, but noticed performance go's down with more lift. rear shocks are god awful get a devear leaf pack and and shocks i like king 2.0 triple bypass but there pricey 5100s bilsteins are popular and affordable