2020 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Incentive offers available
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Buyer beware! Several issues with the 2020 RAV4

Chris, 06/24/2020
TRD Off-Road 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

I purchased the 2020 RAV4 TRD off road trim. I loved everything about it (on book) but to be honest this has been a frustrating experience overall. The day I purchased the vehicle it wasn’t bad but since then it’s been unpleasant to say the least. First off I wanted the vehicle so it could tow a small camper, boat, etc (said this several times prior to purchasing). After purchasing after market stuff at the dealership and built into the loan (which were Toyota specific tow hitch, roof racks, and protection plans) I felt that it would do what I needed. Finance was frustrating because I felt very pressured to do all the added protection plans (like many dealerships do), and I felt a little cheated afterwards because I wanted 2 things and my monthly price was higher than expected - that is a dealer specific issue though. What is more concerning is that after purchasing the car, I find out that the hitch they built into my loan is a class 2 and could not tow what I wanted (they couldnt find a toyota class 3 hitch to install) - when looking online and selecting the hitch, it is only a class 2 (hitch weight no more than 300lbs). Toyota states that the rav4 TRD can tow up to 3500lbs which was all I needed. Per the RAV4 manual - the tongue weight should be distributed so that the weight is 9% to 11% ((tongue (or hitch) weight / gross trailer weight) x 100). So I could have a trailer that is 3200lbs and a hitch weight of 350lbs, that would fit within that specification. After speaking with sales manager it seemed sorted out but not before I was told it could void the warranty (with no explanation beyond that) by the guy who sold me the car which was highly concerning in a new vehicle. However the hitch that Toyota wanted to put on could not allow that hitch weight to be placed on it. I have since placed a class 3 after market on the vehicle but it was very difficult to get the dealership to do it. Since then I still have issues with the audio system and steering issues that haven’t been resolved. With the steering issues - what I have noticed that the car will randomly veer to one side or another as if a tire is flat or the alignment is out. Fun fact - when I bought the care it was out of alignment in the front end! I have now had two alignments done on the vehicle and it is STILL happening. I drive flat roads and haven't even hit pot holes to cause that to go out of alignment. Lane keep assist randomly tried to jerk me off the lane one day while driving on the interstate (brand new pavement and lines with nothing else for the computer to track - almost got in a wreck because of that) - I was holding the wheel and it just jerked hard to the right out of my hand. Still trying to figure all this out, two dealerships havent been able to figure out why this is happening. With the audio system - I have the upgraded JBL system (thinking that it would be great). Well when listening to audiobooks (and to a lesser extent podcasts) which I almost exclusively listen to there is a sharp/high pitched noise (almost like a screech or dog whistle) noise whenever a word has an 's' or a 't' - no matter what app I use, what type of phone (android vs iPhone) or male vs female narrators it keeps happening. Same issues as before - no dealership has an answer for this and Toyota states that they cant hear it when we record it, despite the service manager telling them that he hears it. For someone who commutes a lot and likes to listen to audiobooks and podcasts this noise makes it very unpleasant to listen to these entertainment sources. I have a case with Toyota Customer Care center but its now been 4 WEEKS dealing with this mess. I really have no faith in the safety and drivability of this vehicle and even when I do drive it, I cant listen to the things I want to without the grating noise! All in all - I regret this purchase, and advise others to really do their research and take LONG test drives to really make sure they aren't experiencing these issues.

Shakes, jerks and bucks

Lynn Teolis, 02/15/2020
LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

Complained to dealership that after stopping and starting vehicle jerks and bucks. I was told to push a button in every time I stop and start. I have been doing that since purchase date. It doesn’t help. Rough, jerking ride. We were never told about that feature in car until after we bought it and complained. Don’t feel safe in car and hate car and ride!

Gutles

R b, 03/10/2020
XLE Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

This has no power at all. Step on gas and it thumps waiting for the transmission to change. Don't try and pull out in lane quickly, you won't make it with this gutles thing

Ad
Build Your RAV4
Build and Pricetoyota.com

Lots of cheap “short cuts”

Yvonne R. , 05/21/2020
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

Owned several Rav’s thru the years. Just bought the 2020 Rav XLE. A short test drive isn’t long enough. The front driver’s seat not nearly as comfortable as other year’s models. Sticker price was around $30K. Really, a plastic steering wheel!?! Can’t leather wrap the wheel on a $30K car...😏 . Today, I went to put something in the “pocket” behind the driver’s seat. Guess what?!? There isn't one. I guess over all, I should have checked the car out from top to bottom before buying it. I trusted the Toyota team to put out a good car. My disappointment just keeps going. Really takes the pleasure out of getting a new car.

Not the good value you think it is

Toyota to BMW Convert, 06/21/2020
Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

Before I get started, let me say my family has been lifelong Toyota owners. The first vehicles I drove were a 91 Previa minivan and 95 4Runner Limited. I drove an MR2 Turbo until I wrecked it. I have a Mazda3 as my beater, but have a 2016 Tacoma for my daily driver. The Tacoma is far from fully loaded, but I love it and I feel it has great craftsmanship. I decided its time to simplify and trade in both for a crossover. Of course, the RAV4 was on my list to test drive. I have no need for AWD but I wanted all the bells and whistles, so I went for a Limited FWD. First impressions were cheap cheap cheap. The synthetic leatherette looks like plastic. The plastic wheel wells are tacky. The fit and finish were not even up to par with the 95 4Runner Limited I drove 13 years ago. On top of that, the passenger seat isn't even power adjustable. But it meets all the practical needs I was looking for so I take it for a spin. The road noise was terrible and the drive underwhelming. I expected it to be underpowered based on specs, but actual driving left me even more disappointed. I had the money to spend up to 40k, so I decided to give the BMW X1 with a premium package a go knowing I would have to negotiate it down. The experience was night and day. If you can shell out 5k extra and can sacrifice a little second row seating space, that is the way to go. Needless to say, I purchased the X1 for the very reasonable price of 38.5k. Not to mention, the treatment you receive at a luxury dealership is exceptional. The annoyed newbies at a standard dealership only added to the turn off. To sum up. If you are gonna go baseline because you have a low end budget and need to shuffle people and stuff from A to B, this vehicle is probably fine. But if you are going high end, you are wasting your money. The best way to describe this vehicle is "polished turd."

12345...9