Used 2015 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...21

Pros
Cons

Most reliable crossover on the market

MtnGirl, 08/28/2016
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is SUPER reliable. I have had zero issues with this vehicle and expect to drive it for many years to come. The quality on the interior certainly leaves a bit to be desired, but after trading in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (w 28k miles), I know better than anyone that all the fancy features and cabin comfort in the world do not make up for a mechanically unreliable vehicle. The Jeep was one problem after another, despite having very low miles. In comparison, the Rav4 has needed nothing since the day I drove it off the lot. If some cheap details in the cabin are the worst thing about this SUV, then you know it's a good vehicle. Toyota did not cut corners where it truly counts with this vehicle (i.e. under the hood), except I guess people are upset about the v6 option dissolving. However, the 4 cyl is just fine for me. Do NOT buy this car expecting a luxury ride--buy this car because you want a vehicle that will get you where you need to go no matter what, and will last you 10+ years with minimal problems. Who cares if people think it's "boring" to drive? After my Jeep nightmare, I can tell you that it is WAY more boring to sit at a dealership for hours waiting for repairs!! When you start up the Rav you know you will get to your destination no matter what. At the end of the day, that's all I care about. If you're a buyer with similar priorities, you'll love the 2015 Rav4

All the things you need in a vehicle for today

DelaRAV4, 12/04/2015
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Shopped for a variety of vehicles that could be an answer to a variety of situations. The RAV4 checks all the boxes. Oil consumption issues deleted the Subaru Forester from my list; the Crosstrek was a strong contender but the lack of room deleted it from my list as well. Vibration issues with the new Honda CR-V crossed itself off my list. The Subaru Outback had a strong lead, but something in my gut said no. The RAV4 meets most of my criteria. It's a sharp vehicle and Toyota has done its homework in tweaking aerodynamic features to maximize efficiency (vortex generators, anyone?). I came out of a Nissan XTerra, which I loved but was killing me on ergonomics, and was a poor carpooling choice. The RAV4 has a huge rear seat, room to drop the seats and sleep in this vehicle, good cargo carrying capacity, an AWD button that turns all four wheels up to 25mph on demand, a traditional 6spd transmission, great fuel economy (averaging 27mpg mixed, but I did replace the standard air filter with a K&N filter), revised IIHS crash test scoring, expected resale value, and (let's hope) Toyota reliability made me land on the RAV4. The Limited is a rough rider, but 18" wheels and a taut suspension are the reason. The sport button adds life to this machine, and the eco button drains any pep - nice to know those features are there, though. The navigation screen is dismal (best in class for navigation goes to Ford and its SYNC system - miss my C-Max, too!) Stop griping about the lack of a place to store your sunglasses - if that's all you have to complain about, life is pretty good.

Best Compact SUV Lease Choise for Us

gb philly burbs, 03/31/2016
LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We are leasing the 2015 RAV4 AWD 6A LE, replacing a comparable 2012 RAV4. We do a lot of long distance highway driving and find it very comfortable. Overall it is a step improvement over the previous model and we are happy with it, though it is no luxury vehicle. Of the other SUV's we considered, it was the best manufacturer's lease deal. We've been leasing to wait for better SUV fuel economy breakthroughs. Now that a RAV4 Hybrid is available, that is our top purchase candidate. We considered Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, and Subaru Outback. The much more expensive Outback was the best riding, best MPG, most luxurious , and much quieter, but we preferred the upright seating and compacter wheelbase of a true SUV. Of the 3 true SUVs the Toyota was the quietest (both Honda and Subaru still have unacceptable highway wind noise after all these years) and smoothest handling at highway speeds. Like its 2012 predecessor, our RAV4 was flawlessly constructed. The engine purrs and acceleration is very smooth. Handling is good considering the higher center of gravity and weight of an SUV (Forrester wins in this category with it's boxer engine). In strong wind at highway speed handling is jittery due to the high profile and short wheelbase- a lot of micro steering adjustments may be required. Mileage is decent, but not exceptional, and little better than the previous model despite the addition of an extra gear. If I keep it under 65 mph I can handily beat the EPA highway 29 MPG rating. However, on a recent 1200 mile highway drive at 80+/- mph, with some frantic stop and going around metro Washington DC, we averaged 27.6 mpg. Overall I have averaged 26.1 mpg in normal driving mode, lighting up the green ECO LED most of the way. 2017 UPDATE: Just drove 1150 miles from FL to PA with several half hour traffic crawl delays, otherwise averaging 70-80 mph with average mpg of 29.5 in eco mode. I have no problem with the electronic displays and controls. Find them useful, easy to read, and intuitive. Backup camera with guidelines is a great feature. Basic stereo sound is nothing special; works well with USB or music player, easy to set up blue tooth connections. It pisses me off that Toyota doesn't include a driver lumbar support in anything but the XLE model. Seats are fairly comfortable though better for me if I use a Back Joy Sit Smart. Some other areas where you now get less than in the previous model: no overhead sun glass holder, only one in-dash storage box and a useless shelf above it, less console storage, glove box does not lock, no cross bars (but a cheap after market purchase if you need it, and at least you get roof rails on the basic models unlike the CRV), no back seat fold down lever in the storage area, no VARIABLE control for intermittent wiper, no full size spare, plastic wheel covers instead of finished steel wheels. The extra charge floor mats are very cheap, better to get something after market. Some pluses versus 2012, ours included a rear storage cover, backup camera, the rear seat headrests can be easily folded down to improve rear view visibility, in car spare storage and upswing rear door makes rear access much easier, better MPG feedback tools, quieter ride. Rear visibility is excellent (much better than CRV). However, the forward descending body side lines throw you off when trying to align the car in a parking space. Cannot see speedometer when driver seat position is elevated.

UPDATE

jacknhill, 03/13/2015
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As an add-on to the first opinion I wrote of the 2015 RAV4: Initially I was slightly disappointed with MPG's and realized the extreme cold temps. in the NE USA were the reason.A recent road trip produced Identical MPG's as a traded-in '13 CRV: 62 MPH= 34 MPG 69 MPH= 30 MPG 74 MPH= 28.5 MPG 79 MPH= 27.6 MPG W/cruise control over 200+ miles at each speed.MPG was identical to the CRV.The RAV4 is 150 lbs. heavier too.RAV4 also fits more cargo as the wheel wells inside the back are 44"apart.The rear seats also fold down completely level,unlike CRV.Driving in city, Sport mode is a must to shift smoother.The 6 speed manual/auto is a ++. Michelins grab the road in cornering,big +++.

2000 Mile Review

adkdad, 06/23/2015
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a Ford Escape, Honda CRV and several Subaru Outbacks. I also looked into the Mazda CX-5 and Nissan Rogue. The Toyota RAV4 won out for many reasons. So far this vehicle exceeds my expectations. I'm getting 28.7 MPG average (yes AWD)! I love the seats, they seem to "grab" my rib cage and I do not sway either way when doing a sharp turn. The ride is solid like a truck. Visibility is great. There is plenty of room for 3 road bikes in the back without removing the front wheel.

12345...21