Used 2017 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Highlander for Sale
Select your model:
12345...26

Pros
Cons

Spacious cabin and features for the little ones!

Rustin Shakelford, 12/19/2016
LE 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that I've enjoyed more than my '69 El Camino. The roominess is perfect to those long drives to Florida from Virginia and the suspension seems incredibly smooth. Also, it has 5 USB chargers which judging by the lack of bickering between my grand kids, is a great thing for keeping them pre occupied on their I-Andriods and bluetooth players. The engine is also smooth as silk and has the peppiness I need when pulling out into Florida traffic (people drive like animals)!

Growing Appreciation and Satisfaction

Jim, 05/20/2017
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Bought this car as a downsize. Traded in my 17 mpg Sequioia. This car is MUCH smaller, much easier to drive, and much more "car like". This is my second review. The car is roughly 5 months old & has 3600 miles. No mechanical problems thus far. The ride is comfortable. The front & middle seats are very spacious and comfortable. The dashboard display is clear & intuitive. Ride comfort is very good, but to be fair, roads where I live are very smooth. Those who have criticized this car's acceleration are misguided. We drive with the car in "eco" mode. Acceleration is MORE THAN ADEQUATE!!!! Step on the gas, and the car moves. Overall mileage has been spot on EPA estimates: roughly 22 mpg, with a bias of 65% to 75% city driving. As for highway mileage, we took our first "semi-long" highway drive the other day, 300 miles round trip, 95% highway driving, set the cruise control at 68 mpg, and realized 28.4 mph upon fill up. So, a 290 hp 3 row SUV, with full time all wheel drive, with air conditioning running the whole time, returned 28.4 mpg over a 300 mile trip. Need I say anymore about fuel efficiency? Pretty impressive, in my opinion. If this car holds up like previous Toyotas, it's a no brainer, and should be on anyone's short list of 3 row. mid-sized SUVs. 11 months and 9,000 into ownership, we have only grown to appreciate this car more.

Very Disappointing At This Point!

Greg, 01/10/2017
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Our new Toyota Highlander with the XLE package has been in the shop even before we received our license plates! We did have 5 1/2 weeks of "new car happiness". Then, while out of town, the tailgate would no longer close (automatically or manually). Then the automatic open/close completely ceased working as well. It is designed so you can manually move the tailgate up and down, but with the latch in locked position and refusing to open, we could no longer secure the door closed. I removed the access panel for the latch and tried to open it, unsuccessfully After calling and speaking with service departments at two dealerships and to a Toyota phone rep, we were still unable to resolve closing the tailgate. In fairness, the service departments did several steps of troubleshooting with me over the phone. But to no avail, - during our 140 mile trip back home, I secured the tailgate with a rope connected to the locked latch. I visited the dealership after returning home. They said the latch has malfunctioned. They also could not open it. The electronics for the auto opening & closing tailgate and the struts (lifters) may also need replacing. They ordered a new latch and said they would replace one thing at a time and troubleshoot until resolved. No time estimate was given since they couldn't tell how many components would need replacing. I asked about a loaner vehicle, while the work was to be done. The dealership said that they don't have loaners, but they do have rentals. They said they were unwilling to "loan" me a rental, because they'd have to bill Toyota for the rental fee. How's that for taking care of your customers!!

Slow & Unresponsive!

Ray, 09/09/2017
Limited Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I have Leased/Owned a 2012, 2015, and now a 2017 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD Limited Platinum. Even though the 2015 and 2017 models look somewhat similar (...minor changes in the lights) their power-train is completely different. The new engine is good (more power, and yet more efficient) but the new 8 speed transmission is just TERRIBLE! It changes gears too quickly and it seems like the car is always under-powered. When merging onto the freeway, changing lanes, going up-hills, or ... there is a significant lag between pressing the accelerator and the vehicle responding!!! Very disappointing... Much different than my 2015, or even the 2012 model. Also, I get about 19-20 MPG for combined driving (... i do live in a "hilly" area though). I hope this helps!

The wind noise!

Wayne, 02/17/2017
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Love my new Highlander except for one thing. When I go past 45 or there is a strong crosswind, there is a whistling noise on the front passenger window, nothing on the driver sider. Dealer said it's a "normal characteristic" of the car because it occurred in a 2015 Highlander also and there is nothing they can do till Toyota issues a "TSB, " Technical Service Bulletin, on how to fix it. Wind noise would be ok but whistling noise is fairly annoying, especially at highway speed. If a quiet cabin is not an important criteria then this is a great car. Otherwise, I would stay away till it's fixed.

12345...26