Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 349 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

390k. 2005 Toyota
By E. Michael

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Corolla in 2007 with 45k miles. I finally let Sparkles go at 390K miles May 2018. Repairs: had to replace two bearings. First major repair was at 250k. Next major repair was at 390k. It was the timing chain which is supposed to last the life of the car. Do many cars live 390k miles? A lot of highway miles. Always got at least 360 miles on a tank. Factors for longevity -did regular oil changes, tune-ups (only 4, should have done more) and I
live in flat area of NC. My mechanic bought it from me. That should tell you all you need to know. Complaints, the rear view window, the body has wide sections on either side of the back window causing visibility problems. The acceleration was a little too strong. Comfort was OK not great but #1 concern was reliability. I'd buy another 2005. I dont have a lot of money. Next car I bought was a 2002 Corolla at a good price. Sad. It's no 2005. My daughter has a 2013. So far so good at 75k.

Just o w great car!
By Susan

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My second Toyota..just a great dependable car. Rented a 2019 Corolla and would not trade for my 2005! Get 35mpg on hwy 39mpg city...runs great.
I do maintain and take care of it and many happy years yet to come..

This car is indestructible
By DG

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new. After initial few scheduled servicing, I only do oil change when the reminder lights come on. So far, I had to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils, other than breaks and belts. I also had to replace the oil gasket. The one major fault I have is the TCC (Torque Clutch Converter). It sometimes doesn't lock and check engine light comes on. It is expensive to fix, and not a safety issue. Just provides slightly less mpg. I have approximately 215K miles. The electronics were poor in this year's model control button lights died in some places long back. Fortunately, the main dash odometer cluster never had problem. It has been weaker, but didn't die. I replaced the radio with a Kenwood HD with Android funtions. The clock died long back. It flickered for a while and then died. Actually, the clock internally works. But the power supply is bad. As I said, the car's wiring system is very poor, but the mechanical parts are strong. I also added aftermarket remote start from Best Buy. Still drive this long distance on highway and often pass others at 90+ mph when necessary.

Great little car...
By Frenebulox

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've used this car as a daily commuter and on regular trips to Florida. It performs like a Toyota - it keeps going and doesn't leave me hanging. The gas mileage has been OK - not as good as others have reported but then again I have a heavy foot. I installed a hitch on my car to accommodate a bicycle rack. The extra weight on the tail doesn't seem to affect performance or handling and has allowed me better access to the trunk when carrying bikes. I would have to say that the most impressive thing about this little car is that when the hurricane hit Florida in 2017, I was able to fit two carefully cut 4' x 8' 3/4" sheets of plywood, 5 or 6 cut 2 by 4's, power tools, a case of water and two 5 gallon Jerry cans of gas in it so I could go down and board up my mom's house. I had to do some careful planning on how I fit everything in, but the Corolla swallowed it all up and carried me at high speeds to Florida. It's a great little car.

No Frills, Basic Car. Paint peeling
By Devon

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was purchased as a used starter car. It's basic no frills car. My biggest concern is that the paint is wearing off on most of the car, and when I see this car on the road, it appears to be a problem with a LOT of them. Not sure what happened with the paint this year, but the car looks a mess now. Toyota claims no responsibility even though it is happening to thousands of their cars. I would not recommend this car.