Used 1990 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

253,000 and still going strong!
By linda

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I got this car back in 2005 with I believe 80,000, or somewhere in the ballpark. I'm the third owner. I paid $800 for it. I remember the guy I bought it from literally kissed the car goodbye! lol. He said it was a great car, extremely reliable and amazing on gas. It's now 2016 and yes I still own it and it now it has 253,000 miles and still going. It's not as if I haven't put any money into fixing it. I had an oil leak at one time, the engine fan suddenly stopped working and had to be replaced, several hoses were worn out and it overheated one time and I had to get a new radiator. Other than those problems, everything else has been routine maintenance. This car is so reliable that I've taken it on major road trips across the U.S. However, if I were to get into an accident, I'm pretty sure I would die. It's not very safe! But it's my daily driver to and from work only.

Glad I Chose This As My 1st Car
By Jay

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1990 4dr Corolla (base model, no power anything) in 2014 for $865 as my first car. It wasn't in terrible condition but it had been sitting so all four tires were dry-rotted. I replaced the front two to avoid slipping in the winter, serviced transmission, performed an oil change, and performed a tune up. With a couple hundred dollars into it, it was running fine and continues to do so despite being 26 years old now. There is an exhaust leak, the door handle fell off once, and one night the battery terminal literally broke in half and disconnected itself while driving. Fixed it the next day with a $5 dollar one from Auto Zone and everything was back to normal. I've put ~10K miles on it in a little over a year. Being an 18-year-old boy, it definitely isn't the most exciting thing to drive for me but it gets me where I need to go with around 30 MPG as I drive like a granny in town. Purely based on value, it's a better one than any other first car I could've chosen. There was no other car I could've bought that would have cost this little and still work reliably every day.

294,000 and runs like new!
By douglasseattle

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

My car still is excellent!
The interior looks like it has about 50k and the car runs like it came off the showroom floor.
It does have a leak in the valve cover gasket which I will fix soon and a small leak in the transaxle.
Nothing that will cause a break down.

Other than required and scheduled maintenance, this car has not had any major problems.

My 03 Focus died at 91000.
I expect this one to keep going for a very long time.

For some reason the automatic was not listed as one of the corollas.
Mine is a 3 spd auto

Excellent visibility, comfortable seats, and a decent ride.

Not a sexy car, but wonderfully cheap to keep.

A great car , But it is really very outdated !
By srihari902

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Having this car for the past 9-10 years , it is a really strong and powerfull machine , although have had many minor as well as a few major replacements with it . Had to replace the door locks , the vipers (couldn't count on how many times it had to be replaced) ,ac belt ,indicators,.................... and one fine day the engine blew up !

Strong built

Keep it Simple
By Beast

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Love this car. Bought it in 2005 with 30,000 miles on it. Did not realize what I was getting into when bought this car. Drove this car to Los Angeles and back a few times. Easy. Filled up twice. For 700 miles. I mean come on. Being a '90 model, with a top speed on 110 mph. This car can actually reach that speed. I find that very impressive. Acceleration is outstanding and really just very fun to drive. Lots of great memories in the car and I recently crossed 85,000. I expect this bad boy to be with me for a while. Not a scratch. Not a tear. Everything is functioning. And body in pristine condition. Real lucky to drive this car. Will take care of it as much as it takes care of me.

Some might find this funny. But its acceleration is quite impressive. Size: it can seat 5. And if you park it next to a coupe. It will still look more compact. This car just makes you smile. Its something else. Ageless design.

Nothing...it hasn't let me down but if anything maybe AC, but hell I just roll my windows down ;)