Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great workhorse, but they are beginning to show ag
By C Hunter

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2015, and have since racked up about 40,000 miles on the car. It’s been a dependable work horse, with a new starter being the only unplanned repair. That being said, things are starting to fail, according to my mechanic due to age (lots of lines leaking, exhaust issues, etc), so just be cautious when purchasing used as these cars are reaching 20 years old

The little engine that could
By Chels

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Like others, I keep coming back on to edmunds to read reviews as I hunt for another car because I keep *thinking* I should do that while I can get a few hundred bucks private selling this girl. But, also like others, nothing speaks louder than paid-off-with-minimal-maintenance-costs....I bought this beast in October, 2015 out in Portland, Oregon where they don't salt their roads. So at 254,000 miles, she didn't look a day over 40,000 miles. And only two owners and the first ten years of her life being highway commuting, I figured I'd take the risk and buy her in cold hard $1300 cash as a private sale. I immediately put a few thousand more miles on her driving cross-country to my new home in Maine, and am now watching the odometer click to 300,000 and couldn't be more proud. Sure, she's not the prettiest car, but she's earned A LOT of respect. In the 2.5 years and nearly 50,000 miles I've put on her, she hasn't needed more than the typical oil changes, brake tune ups, and headlight and windshield wiper replacements. I've had to put a few hundred in each year to make her pass Maine's strict safety inspections, but I'm still not anywhere close to horror story mechanic bills I have heard from cars far newer. I'm looking to get a new one only so I'm not found scrambling last minute when something finally causes her to go her last ride, but I think that's just me being paranoid as there is nothing as of right now specifically causing me concern. Overall this is by far the most reliable car I have ever own. There's a reason you still see a lot of them on the road! Plus, the wider body has allowed me to fit all sorts of things in there, including a bike in the back seat area.

Rock Soilid Dependability!
By TonyVee

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my '98 Camry for 12 years. Bought it with 54K as a 'between cars' vehicle. This thing has been nothing shy of amazing and hands down the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned! Nothing fancy here, but everything works as it should and as long as the A/C and Cruise Control continue to work, I'll be hard pressed to sell it. Other than radiator, struts and routine maintenance, everything on this car is original and works great! Even the paint has held up well, every time I wash it, I feel like it's 1998 all over again. I've recently taken this vehicle on two long distance trips and it handled flawlessly. Can't go wrong with Toyota reliability.

Still running. from the Halcyon Days of Toyota!
By james Reed

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

This car has needed essentially no unplanned repairs since I bought it 20 years ago. It has performed essentially flawlessly for 225,000 miles. I changed the oil using synthetic about every 10K miles; the spark plugs were changed only once. The timing belt had to be changed once, and the starter motor died once. That's IT for 20 years and 225,000 miles. I repainted the body when it needed it at 15 years...it lived uncovered in the San Diego sun every day of its life. Once upon a time, a rock hit its windshield. Replaced easily. Flawless handling, great ride, supreme comfort for driver and passengers. Car happily accelerates to 100mph whenever asked..even at 20 years old!

Great first car for anyone any age
By Camryman08

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in august of 1998 new. It is an extremely easy and comfortable car to drive. Only problems i had was the starter going bad but a quick visit to the toyota dealer changed that back to new! The car is very peppy and acceleration is adequate if not good for normal driving. You can tell the engine is lacking power when accelerating from a stop up a hill, but otherwise it manages to merge on the highway and pick up speed nicely. I added a k&n air filter to mine and it improved acceleration at lower rpms so i really recommend one of those if you think the 2.2 4 cylinder is lacking power. Otherwise, this car has great visibility. Paint is still great and shiny after countless Denver hailstorms and snowstorms. I really recommend this car to anyone who wants a comfortable, safe, easy, and peppy ride.