Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

Used Camry for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...28

Pros
Cons

The War Horse That Would Never Die

Spencer, 02/24/2017
LE 4dr Sedan

My wife got this car new before we met in 1999. It had 18k on it when I came along. Now it's just under 487k and going strong. It has been the epitome of reliable. It's had some replacement items (front struts, some axle work and transmission at 370k), but that is to be expected for a car that has been driven the distance of earth to the moon and back (477,800) and then some! The only design flaw are the plastic door handles which over time simply break off. My brother-in-law owns car dealerships and actually sold my wife this unit but even he said there's no way to retrofit a metal handle on the doors. So I just get tie wraps and loop them through to allow easy entry to the car. Weird? Sure, but I don't care. No car payments is a good kind of "weird" so I'm driving this sucker til the wheels fall off. Even then I'll just throw some spares on and go another 480k! This is to update my original report shown above. Odometer sits at 486,968 and she's still running. As noted above my Camry shows her age (original gray exterior paint has some degree of fading in spots but this is 23 year old paint, so that should come as no surprise. Overall, I couldn't be happier to drive this highly durable vehicle and hope I can still say this a few years from now.

Great workhorse, but they are beginning to show ag

C Hunter, 05/04/2018
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2015, and have since racked up about 40,000 miles on the car. It’s been a dependable work horse, with a new starter being the only unplanned repair. That being said, things are starting to fail, according to my mechanic due to age (lots of lines leaking, exhaust issues, etc), so just be cautious when purchasing used as these cars are reaching 20 years old

Excellent!

fred158, 01/21/2012
LE 4dr Sedan

I bough it when it has 224K on it. The price was so low that I could afford, but, this car has never disappointed me. I have replaced starter, battery, some shafts, now engine's get turned on in a second in winter. 4 wheel ABS works perfectly and I had never been troubled by it. Shocks make sound over humps and bumps but its ok, I'm using it in a small town with speed limit<45., so, no problem! Even replacing the whole shock and strut for one wheel would not be more than 400$. It's a great car that I got for a great price!

Ignition/ Steering Column

kturner91, 08/02/2011
LE 4dr Sedan

The most recent, and most inconvenient issue that has arisen concerns starting the car. Not the car actually starting, but the key not turning the ignition even when the wheel is straight, foot is on the break, doors are locked, and seatbelt is on. It has been taking about 4 mins. worth of attempting to start the car (even to run on the battery) before the key will budge. A very annoying and time consuming problem...especially in the hot summer.

Toyota Camry LE

jazz, 03/27/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

The Camry is by far the best car I have ever owned. It handles like a dream, and it has plenty of get up and go, especially for a 4 cylinder engine. It is very comfortable to ride in on long trips. All of the controls are easy to get at. It gets good gas mileage and is visually a beautiful automobile. It is also known for it's reliability. What more could a person ask for in a car. I test drove many cars before deciding on the Toyota and I think I'm hooked.

12345...28