Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Camry for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

225,000 miles, runs fine

troyboy4, 07/09/2012

Bought my 96 LE V6 used with 32,000 miles - today it has 225,000 and still runs good. I have been waiting for some major repair to come-up, but it has never happened. original engine and transmission - repairs have been - power steering hoses, cv boots, water pump, starter- that's about it nothing major. excellent - glad I bought the V6, I think they last longer than the 4 bangers

Wish I could buy a new one

veconomos, 01/29/2014

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

Camry forever

Toy4life, 05/27/2010

I bought mine 3 years ago almost to the day with 150,000 miles on it. I can't believe it's already been 3 years, but got me thinking, this is the best car I've owned. I've owned Chevy, Fords & Toyotas, had a Tundra before this, but didn't like all the gas on the Tundra. Anyhow, this car is like I've heard, Bulletproof, now has 205,000 miles on it, never a problem. I change the oil myself every 3000 miles & drive it 50 miles 4 days a week. It still gets, & I'm amazed by this, going 60-65 mph on the freeway, 37 miles a gallon! I use fuel/injector cleaner once a month to aid in this. The white paint is still in great shape with a twice a year waxing. Could be the million mile car!

96 Camry Collectors Edition Going Strong

Carl, 03/17/2008

This car is meant to keep going. I have now put over 255,000 miles on the car and it still runs very well. The car is very comfortable for the driver and for up to 4 passengers (both long and short trips). 188hp very peppy for a mid-sized car. The exterior looks are phenomenal, basically a Lexus in Camry clothes. Interior has held up very well for 12 year old leather. Even with today's fancier features (nav, heated mirrors, etc) I would buy this car again in a heart beat. Camry (Cam-Mou-ri = Crown in japanese) is the gem of the Toyota lineup. I am very pleased with the long life, high miles, and literally NO maintenance of this vehicle.

!996 Toyota Camry

edmunds347, 08/13/2013

We bought our Camry used with 92,000 miles on it and now we have almost 280,000 miles on it. We just had to replace the radiator and last year we replace the timing belt because we thought it was about time to. We have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. The check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs replaced. Other than a few little minor things, the car still runs great. I trust it to go anywhere.

1996 and still LOVE my Camry Collector Edition!!

Linda S., 03/12/2016
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this baby in '98 and have loved her ever since! 195,000 miles and still runs and looks great. Trying to find a replacement car as I would like to get better gas milage. Everytime I get gas I check the mpg and in 25/75 (city/hwy) have averaged 21.5 mpg. For the past 3 tanks I've used premium and averaged 25 mpg. I don't see the newer, comparable cars getting much better. I love that this car has given me no problems. Every car has things needing replacement as they wear out, but I haven't been plagued by things going wrong over and over. Only glich is that if you leave the headlights on for 10 minutes the battery goes dead. It's not the battery as it does it with new batteries, too. I can live with this... Excelleration is smooth and so is the ride. I like having lots of power when I need it. 60/40 split back seat is great! Many new cars are not offering this anymore. Because this is the Collector Editon, it comes with the Lexus Pearl White paint with Silver bumpers and it has held up and still looks new! Interior has leather seats, wood grain trim and upgraded stereo, Cassette/Tape player with 6 speakers. Toyota really produced a fantastic car with this one. Was considering a Nissan Altima as a replacement until I heard there are lots of problems with the CVT transmissions! So far, have not found a car that I like well enought to replace this Camry. Will keep her for now...

Great car sorry to see it go.

pjz3, 04/08/2012

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds. Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Can't get anything better

Psynopsis, 11/18/2009

My parents purchased our Camry used in 1997 and it has endured years of use. It never has failed me. I came into ownership of it in early 2007 and I'll admit I have abused it yet this amazing car keeps going and going! It's gone through 6 ft of water, taken off road, even slid off a road a few times during a snow storm yet it still runs strong. Currently has over 242,000 miles on it and shows little signs of aging. Quiet, efficient, and forever reliable. If you want something that will last you forever, get a Camry. P.S. I don't abuse the car anymore. :]

Best Car I have owned!

marioinarp, 02/20/2011

Great car bought used in 2007, now 4 years later have only had to replace a/c Compressor at 190,050 miles car has over 220,000 miles now and runs like NEW! Very fuel efficent on the highway. Very low maintanance. I LOVE THIS CAMRY!

Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I've Owned

Dan, 01/22/2010

My wife bought this car before we were married for $6000 w/ 50K miles on it from an older woman. It now has 140,000 miles. We have taken it on old forest service roads and through small streams, packed to the brim with camping gear and a canoe strapped on top. It is comfortable and reliable - I *never* worry about breaking down or repair costs with this car. In 90K miles we have done the regular maintenance and service: timing belt & water pump, spark plugs and wires, and oil changes. Other than that, we had to replace a seal on the final drive unit and both CV boots. Overall, $1500 worth of repairs and maintenance for 90K miles of hard driving. Simply the best car we have owned.

Great reliable car with over 200K miles

iluvdodgetrx, 02/06/2010

I have had this car about 9 months and I bought it for $700. I did some normal and much needed routine maintenance on it and it has never let me down. I have almost 211,000 miles on it and I expect many more

Long lasting

Shelby, 10/15/2015
LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 11 years now and it is still going strong! It is at 327,000 miles and has had no major problems. It hasn't needed anything besides routine maintainance and a new battery. I will be sad when my Camry's time comes. Very reliable car.

Extremely reliable car

Maz, 03/14/2010

I bought this car when it was 6 years old. It's now 14 years old and I have had no problem with it at all. It has been a very smooth, quiet and reliable car since the beginning. It does not lose any oil and even the paint finish is in good shape. I would have upgraded to a newer version had I not heard all the bad feedback about the build quality of the newer Camry models.

Love x 2

jplum46, 03/10/2012

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

Good car, not great quality.

spring1991, 06/13/2012

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it. Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Literally a tank

William Adams, 10/29/2015
LE 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had purchased a 1992 Camry 2.2 several years ago and in a 2 year period myself and my mechanic friend had gone over the car end to end and replaced everything that needed routine maintenance. Then came some minor bodywork and a Maaco paintjob. That car was a tank it was reliable and at 180,000 miles was ready for 300,000 more-until some old lady hit it while it was parked on the street and it was totaled by the insurance company and we got less for it than I had put in it. Soooooooo...my truck of 12 years finally died and I saw a 1996 Camry Le 2.2 4 cylinder ,with oil leak, for sale. The guy lowered the price to $600 before I even got to see it. We drove it and bought it on the spot. I told him I wasn't afraid of an oil leak or high mileage-295,000-because it was a Camry and would do fine after we went over this one.So all the rubber on the engine,rear main seal,crank seals,water pump and timing belt(since it was apart anyway) and a front right axle. It is clean,runs great and has no leaks at all. My mechanic said I should get another 200,000 or more out of it. It is my daily driver and work vehicle,but after going over it I would probably take it anywhere.If it is good as our 92 we had,I'm set-and this one is green so it is a tank....I sold it to my neighbor a year ago and he put a rebuilt transmission in it. The body could use some paint,but all it needs now to be totally rebuilt is struts and a rack and pinion . Once again-this thing is a tank. The body has over 300,000 miles on it and it's going strong. My neighbor thanked me for being honest and said Everything I told him about the car was true-he wanted it because he knew all the work AlI had put into it.It now has a new rack and pinion and a rebuilt transmission.It also got a new throttle body cable.Still needs struts.Going strong at over 30000 miles.Neighbor put new struts and gas tank filler hose on it.Still his daily driver.The rack and pinion turned out to be a leaky hose.5-2-20: Car is still going strong.We were just discussing it the other day. Only thing not replaced is head gasket.He said at this point if engine ever blew he'd replace it.Car is a beast!Going strong.

Great Vehicle!

thinklingsbird, 09/22/2009

I bought this 13 months ago from a friend of mine for a mere $1,500. It had about 148K on it and I've put probably 15K on it since. Within the past year I've had to change a battery, replace a cooling fan, and that's about it. Nothing major. It starts up every time and runs great. I get roughly 30mpg on the highway and 20-something around town. It's not a beauty, but it's certainly a great car for its utility.

Love my car!

Sold on Toyota, 09/25/2009

I bought my 1996 Camry in 1999 with 19,000 miles one it. It now has over 250,000 miles on it, runs like a champ and still has a very pretty exterior. I still get compliments on it! We have done basic maintenance on it and a couple minor repairs over the years, but it is our most reliable car by far and I take it on errands (less than 2 miles) and long road trips with never a worry. I will buy nothing but a Toyota ever again. This car is awesome - seriously.

review

Sofashack, 10/22/2002

EXCELLENT! AFTER 123000 MILES IT STILL DRIVES LIKE THE DAY IT WAS BORN!

Great car

fishera, 07/23/2011

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

SHE'S A HONEY

ANN MANIUSZKO, 02/26/2005

I purchased this car from a family member (who had purchased it new) in June 2000 with 15,540 miles on it. It now has 50,583 miles on it and it is OUTSTANDING!!! This car has never given me a moments trouble; it gets about 21-22 mpg around town (not bad for a V6 that's almost 10 yrs. old). I have had NO mechanical problems other than normal wear and tear. I will sell this car later this year when I replace it with a HYBRID HIGHLANDER (can't wait). I've driven Toyota's exclusively since 1974 and would not even consider another brand! My daughter's PRIUS avgs. 50 mpg and I just love driving it ... way to go Toyota!

Loved My Camry

emilydfeist, 08/22/2011

I loved my Camry! It was always reliable. I wrecked it this past saturday and i almost cried! I hit a deer but the car held up well! I had it for almost 3 years and the only problems it had was an oil leak..but it wasnt anything major..honestly i never fixed it because it never gave me any problems. I had to replace a few parts earlier this year but thats expected on a vehicle its age. Over all a wonderful car. Unfortunately the 2005 Toyota i was looking to buy has bad reveiws...maybe they should go to making it the way they used to.

Runnig great for over 125,000 miles

Momooe, 03/12/2002

I had this car from day one and has no major repairs, no leaks. The only replacement I made was the FR axle and rack pinion. The secret: change oil every 5000 m thru 100K miles, then 3000 m after.

Will always love my Camry

Kim, 07/07/2017
SE V6 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a great car this is it. I've had this car for 4 years (bought it off my brother) she has some bumps and scratches, but overall she's a bad MF!!! She has 180,000 miles and still a champ!! I'm gonna miss her when she goes. (Not anytime soon though)

First Toyota I've owned!!!

Jay, 01/26/2019
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car recently I've only had to do some tune up on it. its been a really good car doesn't run like it has a lot of miles on it runs very well for its age being pretty old good gas saver i really would recommend the 90's Toyota's to anyone that wants a cheap car that will last a long time.

96 Camry LE

Norm, 12/31/2009

I'm giving this car all #8 evaluations because I just bought it today. Using Edmunds price guidelines I bought a 96 Camry LE with some exterior body damage, but 4 brand new tires, battery and recent service. Engine runs smooth, transmission shifts perfectly. It passed an emissions test with no problems. Interior in good condition. Everything works perfectly-power windows, tilt steering wheel, radio, power antenna, air conditioning, heater, etc 164,000 miles. I paid $950.

Best Car EVER

R. Backer, 07/25/2009

Without a doubt this Camry is the finest machine I've ever owned in more than 50 years of driving. It gets 33 miles per gallon on trips and has cost nothing beyond the routine, and even that has been minimal. Reliability is 100%. I put 104 thousand miles on it so far and will probably end up giving it to my grandson although I'll probably keep it 'til I die. Outstanding car period! (Not a speck of rust on it despite being outside for 13 years.)

Just keeps on going

I heart the Mry, 10/12/2009

My mom gave me this car in 2006 with about 140,000 miles on it. Earlier this year, I decided I should probably start saving for a new car, as the Toyota was getting old. By time this car dies I'll probably have saved enough to buy a new Mercedes. It just keeps going! At 173K right now with no major mechanical repairs. I have recently had little things happen, such as the trunk "pop" mechanism breaking, but I can access it through the backseat for now. I hope my next car (hopefully I can afford another Camry!) lives up to this one's standard.

Great beater or first car (96 camry LE)

Jeff, 06/28/2006

My dad got me this car when I was 17. It was truly a bargain at $3300. Even though it had 91000 miles, it still runs great. The only problem was that a window did not work. But that isn't too bad. The power isn't great with only 125hp but it uses high revs to maintain better acceleration. It is great with gas and also very reliable. A year ago, my dad brought a 04 camry. It is crazy how much it didn't change since my 96 camry. If you are looking for a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the camry fits this description.

Get the V6!!

qafFan, 09/11/2004

Owned my 1996 Camry since May of 1996 and it has been trouble free soo far. Has about 106,580 miles on it and i plan to put another 80,000 miles. Overall power is ok but merging and passing power is poor. Wish i got the V6 when i bought it. Fuel economy is decent about 20 mpg could be higher and has bout 300 miles between fill ups. So far no major problem accept the replacement of the timing belt when it has 60,000 miles. Recently serviced at the dealer for new steering boot, brake rotors, brake pads, and a new coolant tank. Overall a very nice and safe car to drive.

It was a dream car

Jay Dee, 10/06/2005

This has been a dream car. Very few problems so far (140,000 miles). Roomy enough for our family, 31 mpg, etc. etc.

Excellent choice

wonderman, 05/05/2003

My 1996 camry has definitely been the best car I have ever bought. Even though the 4 cyl. could use more power, everything else is perfect. I have 96,000 miles on my camry and it still runs like the day I bought it. No major mechanical problems, just normal wear and tear. PERFECT CAR!!!!!

Thus was my mothers toyata camry!

Mer, 03/23/2016
LE 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car. If you have one keep ! it it will drive foreva! 96,000. Miles love it!

some problems; overall great car

edmundsmikepla, 02/16/2012

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

My experience after 5 years

Kevin A., 07/21/2018
LE 4dr Sedan

Bought car out of need. Need car now!! Which causes me to buy it and worry about the questionable stuff later. Paid 800 dollars for it. It had bad break lines, weak battery, rebuilt transmission, and 4 bad window motors and a broken door handle. Paid over 1200 dollars to fix those problems. 2 years later the master cylinder which controls brake fluid went out. Causing the brakes to be useless. Took a month to save money to get that fixed. Couple months go by and the pulley on the drive shaft separated . Harmonic balancer is what its called. Its two pieces connected by rubber. The rubber gets old and will dry up causing it to seperate. So that was the last problem. I am greatful for any car that runs at this point. But you need to Carfax any car. Do not buy a used car based on brand reputation. Some people treat their cars like garbage and you will more often than not Inherit there discarded trash. Save your self a headache and lost money and Carfax before you buy any used car

Never Own Another Toyota

NoMoreToyotas, 08/13/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July of 2007 with 114k miles. The car made it to 148k miles. Once it reached that point, I pumped approximately $5,000.00 into it. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, fuel pump, new rotors (twice in the time I owned it), 3 new sets of tires, plugs, axles, and last but not least, the transmission. I have had to replace other things, but those were the big ones. The paint job is the worst I have ever seen and the door handles have a curious habit of snapping off. I don't drive like a kid, so I think operator error is minimal. The car just died yesterday and this time, it's anyone's guess what the problem is. If you are thinking of getting a Toyota Camry, FORGET IT

Bad oil leaks.

John B., 05/09/2010

This car has had excellent dealer care and has given us nothing but gross oil leaks. Would NOT consider another Toyota regardless of their seductive ad campaigns. The oil leaks are very serious. You will have a lot of oil everywhere. Consider another used car choice.

Quality and Reliability? Think Again.

robertoduh, 08/02/2011

I bought this oh so reliable Camry in March 2010 with only 96k miles. I was thinking this car would at least run to 200k or maybe even 300k, but I found out it won't even make it to 130. I have 123 on the clock now, and in the time I had it, I poured over $6500 in repairs. A rebuilt transmission/engine, faulty airbag module, two broken window motors, and a new gas tank. The transmission went out at 100k, and the engine went out at 103k. Now with this "new" engine, it loves to stall at red lights. Not really helpful if I'm stuck on a grade in traffic. Also, the interior quality sucks. My door panels are all cracking and falling off because of weakened clips. Thats quality for ya!

Buyer Beware

ItsaLemon, 03/11/2004

My engine sludged up badly, which is a common problem with many toyota models, and the public is unaware for the most part. Many camry and other model owners have had their engines seize up. It was a miracle that mine didn't fail, and now I only use fully synthetic oil in it, which better resists the high heat in these engines. This is definitely my last toyota.

This is a great car!

Shirlee, 05/15/2002

My 1996 1996 Toyota Collectors edition 4-dr Camry is the best car I've ever owned (in 33 years). It is very roomy, dependable and fun to drive. In the Pacific NW we have alot of SUV's but my Camry drives through ice and snow like a champion.

Don't BUY

sammy aziz, 07/19/2009

I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.

Big problems cropping up

grillman, 10/30/2002

I purchased my Camry new in 1996 and it's been pretty solid until this year. It developed a major transmisssion leak and rear main engine seal leak at 85000 miles. This is a very expensive repair as the entire front subframe had to be removed to fix the leaks. Now the steering rack is leaking and this is another $500 repair. So much for Toyota QUALITY and RELIABILTY. No vehicle with this mileage should have these problems. I tried to get Toyota to pick up some of the cost for these repairs and they basically blew me off. This is my last Toyota.

cost of my car

Ammie, 06/12/2003

very reliable. economical in fuel. fast and dependable.

Camry Great NEW - SO SO Used

JJ, 08/01/2005

I bought a 96 Camry brand new and sold it Aug 2005 with 45,000 miles. Never hit, paint/interior perfect. The resale value of $5,500 is great for a 9 year old car. However, the car had some repairs, the motormounts went, cracking the exhaust pipe, the flimsy door handle cracked off in the cold and the drivers seat belt stopped working. Now at 60,000 miles it will need a timing belt, tune up plus the 60,000 binding U joint camry defect and in a few years an expensive exhaust and strut issue. Camrys are great, but don't believe the hype, they break a lot less than a similar american car, but with the added price and expensive parts they are not a good used car choice.

incredible

kayli, 03/07/2006

Have had Corolla and Mazda GLC, and neither was as reliable as this car. In ten years I've replaced tires, brakes, batteries, a starter and the hydraulic drive things and that's it.

Gas Saver & Builded to Last

Dujox, 06/17/2008

Got this car with 116,000 on it. Paid 2800.00.The same day the car overheated. Keep the car anyway. Changed the head block, radiator, water pump and most of the cooling system. Since it has been the Dream Car, seriously. Just regular serviced: change oil & filter. Great with gas and also very reliable. If you need a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the Camry fits this description, without hypes.

Still driving it after 12 years

UPDATED REVIEW, 06/24/2008

In May 1996 I bought this 4 cylinder Camry LE and added only the ABS as the only option. Now a little over 12 years later I am still driving her and she has been great. The original engine was replaced in June 2006 because some idiot decided to rev the engine past the red zone on the tachometer which resulted in it blowing up and shooting a piston through the oil pan but the guy owned up and paid to have a brand new engine from Japan installed and currently has 20,000 miles on it. The old engine did have a slight oil leak but now the new one will last at least 100K. Gas mileage is much better than my sister's 01 Accord V6 and even though the 4 is underpowered, I'll take the better gas any day

Keeps on going

scott, 07/24/2008

We bought our 96 LE Sedan ( basic LE, no additional options ) in 1999 with about 34K on it. Still own it and drive it every day, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Had to replace an AC sensor a few years back and solenoid contacts last year, but other than that noting but oil changes and routine maintenance. Still gets 30mpg plus on the highway too. Boring to look at and drive, but very economical, reliable and an all around great car.

1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

petch22, 04/26/2002

VERY RELIABLE AND WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!!

Oh, what a feeling!

Greg, 12/07/2008

This Toyota is rolling right along. I bought it with 19,000 miles as a lease turn in. I now have 203,000 miles on it and still a daily driver. NO major repairs. Just batteries, tires, water pump and timing belt. It's one thing to pay the upfront cost, but then the maintenance cost over the years is where this car shines.

51050