Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Avalon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Best car I have ever owned or driven.

soundcrafter, 11/19/2014
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With 170,000 miles and not a single problem I can say I picked a winner. It drives like a dream on it's Michelin tires. I get 26-30 mpg highway. I love the rounded curved dash and display. I do hate looking at the cassette tape deck (it reminds me that I am getting older and soon will someday be obsolete). I keep wanting to replace it with something new, but other new cars can't match it's ride. I test drove the 2014 Mercedes, new Avalon, Lexus, infinity, BMW... The only car I liked better than the Avalon was the Audi A8 at $65,000. I will keep this car until it literally falls apart. Update: I now have 217,000 miles and still love the car and have had no problems except the recall on the airbags. Running strong and smooth.

Reliable road partner.

r_k, 12/26/2014

We are third owner of this car, we knew the second owner who kept this car really well. The only thing we've done so far is change timing belt, water pump and fluid wash. Runs like a dream and currently giving me a mixed mileage of 26 mpg. We love the robust build of the car, road handling. The opening of trunk is big and we've had no issues in carrying large grocery bags and a small wagon which always stays in it. The back seat is roomy and has large space for 4 people to sit. I like the drive of this car and will recommend it to anyone looking for luxury at the same time reliable car.

Original Owner for 14+ years/ 334 thousand miles

Ed DeMaio, 10/24/2015
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Greatest purchase of a lifetime! This car has survived a family of 4, both my son and my daughter have driven many miles with this vehicle. The rims are aluminum and did not fair well when driven into curbs. My son (20) was able to blow the sub-woofer and destroy the transmission at 180 thousand miles. Only recently has the engine light gone on for the catalytic converter. The car will drive 419 miles on a full tank of gas before the low gas warning light is lit. Today when I drive this car I drive for over 2 hours with the full confidence I had when I bought this car brand new during January 2003. Update May 2017: the catalytic converter 420 light only goes on after 2 1/2 hours of driving.

Low cost comfort

Wayne, 01/19/2010

We bought this car 5 years old and 77000 miles for $10,000, much cheaper than new. It is very comfortable on long trips, a very quiet and smooth ride. Good gas mileage. My wife felt the looks needed some pizazz, so I bought a spoiler online and had a bodyshop paint and install it for her birthday present. It adds a lot of character. A few months later, I bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 and driving one car is almost like driving the other, although the Lexus has a few more amenities. I am absolutely sold on Toyota quality and dependability, after owning 4 GM cars and one Dodge.

A Great Three Years

TOM, 08/01/2006

Three years and 42,000 trouble free miles after buying our first Avalon, we are Avalon fans. Our XLS was ordered with the "wing" to liven up it's bland appearance at least a little bit. We are even starting to think it is a nice looking vehicle! Really! We tried out a 2006 Avalon Limited recently and found the driver visibility of our 2003 to be far better so we are hanging on to our present Avalon. Highway mileage is routinely 30 mpg + and seems to be gradually improving with age.

Great vehicle =, even as a used car

Don Birkel, 12/30/2015
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great reliable vehicle with very good acceleration, great road feel. The Avalon is a very comfortable car that you can rely on.

Endless comfort and solidity

olderage, 12/04/2011

At 140k my Avalon seems like it will endure for many more years and miles. Unusual maintenance includes a steering bracket assembly and a failed subwoofer. Also, the driver's seat cushion has collapsed and the airbag light comes on intermittently. The car whooshes to speed, is dead quiet, and has expansive room on the inside. The gas mileage is not great (avg. 22 in mixed driving), but this is a large auto and its substantial feel makes me want to keep it forever. The styling is distinct and operating costs are very low. After driving an Avalon, it becomes difficult to settle for lesser cars.

A Lexus without the price tag.

jrw225, 03/25/2009

This Avalon has been the best car I have ever owned. I have had it more than a year now and bought it used but still have had no problems. It is smooth, luxurious, and every day I drive it I find myself surprised by one of the Avalon's many features. Someone put great thought into designing this car from the automatic wipers to the 110 power plug this car is perfect. I get 21 mpg on average but it is worth the extra $2 a week to drive such a fantastic piece of machinery. I'm 26 and thought this car was an 'old man car' but after driving it I will not drive anything else. Thanks Toyota!

The Avalon 2002

JPZ01, 06/13/2002

This is the second Toyota and the first Avalon. It handles very well and gives the feeling of driving a Lexus. No regrets upgrading from teh Camray to the Avalon. It really is the flag ship of the Toyota line of autos.

The Best Car Out There!! Period

ERazor, 12/03/2009

I buy them used and I replaced my 1995 Avalon with a 2003 Avalon. I will replace this one with another. If it ever wears out that is. They are the best cars that I have ever owned.

My second AVALON

c6owner, 04/30/2005

This is my second Avalon. The only thing that stopped my first was Pontiac at midships. I had 165,000 miles with nothing going wrong. I didn't even need brakes until 130,000 miles. I bought the second and am having the same luck. It is more powerfull but has 28 MPG average Vs 30 on the 1996 version. Passengers still comment on interior room and comfort after now 60,000 miles. I drive for work, and go through a lot of cars. These two have outperfomed and have been more reliable than anything else I have had. If I can stay out of the way of other cars, this one will probably go to 300K miles.

Couldn't Be Happier

seddy83, 01/20/2010

I love my car. I only intended on keeping it for a few years but I love it too much not to keep it in my family. I have not experienced any maintenance issues. Since I purchased the vehicle, I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil changes, tires rotated, new wiper blades, etc. The only draw back to the car is that a cassette player came stock even though I have premium JBL speakers. Good thing I could swap it out with one that I can link my iPod to.

Wonderful car

ambi, 08/13/2005

No doubt about it, I will purchase another Avalon. This car has more comfort in the rear and front than most of the largest. Everyone who rides in the rear seat is amazed at the comfort.

Great Luxury Car for the Money

Howard, 01/21/2006

Driving in comfort; lots of power and pick up, yet economical and affordable.

Reliable where it counts and nowhere else

Casey, 08/20/2015
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, I really like my '03 Avalon, but there are some quirks that do need to be stated. The subwoofer in the rear is very low quality. I was already not a fan of the sound system that this car came with but after 2 weeks of owning it, I decided to max out the the volume to see how it handled and ended up blowing the subwoofer. Turns out that this is a very common problem for all Toyotas that have this JBL system in it. They dry rot in the sun and weekend very quickly. When this happens, I would recommend just buying a 50 watt sub that's 4 ohms and 8" in diameter because the stock sub cost around $280 online and a complete ripoff. They're hard to fine but do exist. Another very common problem is that the windshield wiper motor will go out unexpectedly. You will know when it happens because it won't take the wiper back down to the "park" position when you turn them off. I just got a quote from my local dealer and it will cost $487 to fix that. Finally, trying to maintain this car in your driveway is a pain. It's nearly impossible to get to the oil filter with just a floor jack. Oil changes for me cost around $40 to have my local shop do it. This is a great car for someone that prefers to take it to a shop whenever something needs done. If you would rather maintain it yourself, I'd look at something else.

What a machine

freddy, 06/29/2002

I am on my second Avalon and this one is better than the first if that is posible, It is quite, smooth, and very user freindly, I change cars every 12 months and unless someone comes up with something better then at this price it is a steal.

GREAT BUY!!

Morris, 07/14/2002

smooth as silk. Ulta comfortable. Beats the price of Lexus.

Dealership problems w/ Northridge Toyota

Todd Trebah, 10/17/2002

After test driving 3 Mercedes models, I stumbled across the '03 Toyota Avalon-- was very much surprised on the quality, comfort & performance of the car. However, this dealership left much to be desired --- from misrepresenting several items that were supposed to be included in the price to guarantee/warranty specifics.

Couldn't ask for More!!!

J. Reeves, 11/17/2002

This car has it all. It contains Luxury items only found in cars costing 15 to 20 thousand more. It is a Dream Car and has the Toyota Quallity to Back it Up....

Flagship Of The Fleet (all cars in the family)

Patrick Kennedy, 11/12/2016
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Is the best investment in autos I have made. I am only sad that the dealer that I purchased the car from sold the dealership to a FORD agency. This dealer still runs the agency like it ran it back in the 1960's (one of the main reasons I began buying Toyotas since then). My remarks are the same today. The Avalon is the best automobile that I have ever owned.

Great investment

thomas hoehn, 02/21/2009

Over 100,000 and runs great, over 80,000 on the Michelin tires. Starts up every time. Great ride and lots of room in trunk and interior easy to maintain without nickle and dimeing you to death.

Best Value in the new car market

tankfrank, 07/07/2002

Quiet, roomy, well built, reliable, a solid performer. My first Japanese Designed car and I love it. No more GM cars for me.

3rd Avalon

clifz, 11/15/2002

Like this car for its ride reliability,good looks,safety features. Forward vision obstructed by pillars for someone who must drive with the seat far back.(like me).Great power,pickup. Wish they would eliminate that "style" sheet-metal crease that runs the length of the body. It's exactly the same height as the food market rolling baskets. Makes for a $400 dent removal. Really have no serious negative remarks. Of course, it's a bit pricey. Also, see they eliminated the secondary sun visor. If I wasn't impressed by this car, it wouldn't be my third in a row.

Not a Lexus

robert Sobieski, 02/20/2003

This is not the Luxury car I had hoped to get, dash is not driver friendly, should have radio/heater control on steering wheel, seats not comfortable, 4 way power seats does not give enough adjustment for comfort, computer on dash is big and ugly,lighting doesnt even match rest of controls ,needs a clock so you can leave computer off, wouldnt buy again,will trade for Lexus VERY SOON

Lexus in Toyota Wrapper

webman58, 12/09/2003

This car is a very big BANG for the buck. Traction control, Force Dsitribution braking, ABS 4-channel brakes, Navigation system, auto-lights and wipers, heated seats, SMOOTH RIDE, cavernous back seat, 6-CD in-dash changer and REAL WOOD inserts. This is a FINE car. If it is like all the other Toyota's I've ever owned the only parts that will ever fail no this car will be the AMERICAN MADE PARTS!!!! My Vote is BUY THIS CAR!!!

Wind Noise is the Problem

kprko, 10/08/2005

Wind noise from both sided leaking thru the doors will cost over $200 for new window runners. Air conditioning vents blow cold air directly on you is a nuisance. After 3 years the dash component seams are separating. Steering wheel controls are sorely missed

Love this car

SLK, 04/11/2004

We test drove this vehicle and fell in love with it. Didn't even bother with two other models with which we were comparing. The ride was smooth and noise free....two things that were on our list of 'wants.' Almost a year later and we still think it's a great piece of machinery!

Great for the family

Brian, 06/03/2007

This is a one of a kind vehicle. Either you could go for something flashy or go for something cheap, but the Avalon is a solid, yet comfortable automobile. I use it as my work car and you can't beat the ride. I'm glad that Toyota updated the looks since 2003. That was the only drawback of the older models. Overall, it's a great car.

2003 toyota avalon xls

rule, 05/26/2003

Great automobile to drive. Good comfort and very quiet on the road. Excelent quality thruout the vehicle.

Will miss you!

John T., 12/17/2017
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. Well built, no maintenance, very reliable. Bought used 2 years, have kept it 12 years, the longest I have ever owned a vehicle. Can't beat Toyota's quality. No longer own vehicle.

Best Car We Have EVER OWNED!

Marilyn Meadows, 02/08/2018
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have never had a major repair on this car. Bought it new and have only had regular maintenance (tires, batteries, tune ups, etc.) since. We have some dings and scratches but the car still looks okay. We will not get rid of this car until all four tires go flat and the engine falls to the ground

bench seat

Les, 08/20/2018
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

although advertised as a 6 passenger car, with a front bench seat, the space available to the center front passenger is only suitable foe a very short person. Otherwise it's been a great car, which we bought new.

a nice car but

qq, 01/15/2003

It is a nice car with plenty of room But the tire is too small compare with the huge body. It's like a huge man wear a tiny shoe.

Comfortable and Reliable

Buzz, 06/01/2018

Roomy and comfortable

STOP

Sam S., 07/07/2002

Toyota has got to stop making these heavy and ugly bodies. The rest of the car is excellent but the power to weight ratio is horrible. 03' Maximas weight much less and have 45 more horses.

Disappointing

Larry Bienapfl, 04/05/2003

Automatic temperature control is very inconsistent - to hot or to cold. Feet are hot, upper body cold. Brakes are poor, almost impossible to brake slowly they are on or off. Car nose dives when stopping quickly. Poor acceleration from stoped position. Doors must be slammed to close properly. Automatic wipers don't respond when needed. Poor traction in snow

2003 Avalon Review

Randy, 07/08/2005

I previously owned a Toyota Camry. The Avalon is definitely a step-up in quality. This is a more plush car with an abundance of features, ease of handling, and quiet ride. My only negative is the computer controlled excellerator. There is a "lag" that you don't notice in "direct wired" gas pedals. It is annoying when you really need to get out of the way fast.

Not a Happy Camper

DisAppointed, 06/26/2002

I finally broke down and bought a Toyota after hearing the glowing reviews from all the owners. What a mistake. I thought that I was buying a 'reliable' car. However, the day after I bought the car, it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. I checked and couldn't find any electrical item 'on'. The dealer towed it and replaced the battery. They couldn't find anything wrong either. The rest of the problems were minor compared to this, but I expected zero defects from the way everyone rants about Toyota. As soon as I find a gullible buyer, I'm unloading this trash.

Not a Happy Camper

disappointed, 06/26/2002

2003 avalon

sgray, 04/15/2003

I own a 1996 avalon also. I like my older car much better. The 2003 has blind spots. The dash is too busy,and the gas milage is better on the 1996 model.

Great w Two Annoying Flaws

rpg, 04/29/2003

Lux car equal to Lexus at 10K less.

Avalon climate control is bad design

Trainguy, 05/30/2003

The Climate Control Air Conditioning System is the ablolute worst thing that have ever been put in a quality car like the Avalon. Temp control is very inconsistant and gives heat to your feet and cold to your body. Why this system could not have been made better, or at least the same, as any American Made Automobile with a Climate Control A/C is beyond understanding. American cars have had a working system for at least 8 years that is far superior to this. I could never recommend the Avalon XLS over the XL.

sorry i bought it

cuezze, 06/20/2003

I like the styling of both the interior and exterior. I don't like the way the car handles on the hiway. It has pulled to the left from the first day that i bought it. They have aligned the front end 4 times and it still pulls. The car is not good if there is much wind it gets blown all over the road. The 2000 Impala that I traded was in my opinion a better built car.I would never buy a toyota again. I have driven other cars with a list price of the same or less and have decided that I made a big mistake.

60,000 miles later

kmmowe, 11/15/2008

No problems in 5 years/60,000 miles except warranty issue on the horn assembly (horn would go off intermittently). Dealer replaced air bag assembly in steering wheel and that solved the problem. OEM battery lasted 3 years

An Excellent Value & Lots of Room

Donn, 07/18/2002

The Avalon XLS is driven primarily by my wife, but it is our family car when we go places together, and then I usually drive. With an on-the-road price of $33,000, it is an exceptional value. Our friends in the back seat consistently applaud the 40+ inches of rear leg room -- same as in a Mercedes "S" sedan. Totally reliable, too.

Smoother than Volvo.

tabarr, 07/31/2002

After deciding to purchase a Volvo S80, we, on a lark, test drove the Avalon. What a difference! The Avalon is smoother, quieter, has more user-friendly amenities...and cost less. We drove away in the Avalon and have not regretted it. Wonderful car to drive.

Luxury From Toyota

Daniel Morthole, 08/01/2002

The car has a very luxurious interior and the 2003 Avalon is even beter. The 2003 Avalon has a navigation system, mine didn't come, even as an option.

New Owner

W.D., 08/01/2002

First foreign auto but I believe we got the pick of the litter. Had a Sedan Deville for several years and already the Avalon has made us forget about the luxury and performance of the Cadillac. Will want to give another review after subtantial number of miles are driven.

beware of paint staining

Hands501, 08/08/2002

We've had the vehicle for two weeks, and love it so far. We did have trouble with the dealer, when the detailing department sprayed tire dressing on the tires. The dressing then stained the diamond white paint. The dealership had to buff out the clear coat and repaint the wheelwells and back quarterpanels (lower portion only). The service manager commented that the paint on the white cars was easy to stain. Purchased our 2003 model for $30,000, with moonroof, heated leather seats, floor mats, and diamond white paint, but only got wholesale for our '99 Chysler LHS.

The Cadilac of Japanese cars

Avi, 08/19/2002

this an absolutly a great car. there is no other. mercedes or bmw cant compare. the ride, the convience and reliabilty are just exceptional. i suggest this car who wants luxury car with a sporty feel.

51050