Used 1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

558,000 miles
By tnt12

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This is the continuation of my 3/19/2012 review below. The car now has over 558K miles and still running great! Getting ready for my next oil change. Pushing for 600K by Jan/Feb 2017.

10/15/2016 - 581,000 miles.

4/16/2018 - I finally retired my 1995 Avalon XLS in Nov 2016 with 585,000 miles! What a great car it was!

my best friend
By rich boston

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

reliable car, not fancy, but gets the job done. 171k miles on this 1995 and it looks and runs like the day it was made. body has some surface rust on rear wheel well passenger side, but nothing else and it has spent 21 years in the rust belt of central PA. the cd and cassette/radio still works and sounds solid. trunk is large and the rear seats 3 adults with comfort. all power and everything still works including the door locks which is important in a 4 door car. manages snow/ice with no problem, makes you thankful for the front wheel drive. have seen other avalons with over 375k miles.
Have now owned Avalon for 8 months and put 6k miles on it. So far only thing I did to car was changed oil. Still running strong, will get inspected next month. Inspection revealed nothing needed. Had a hitch installed by U-Haul to carry my scooter (I am disabled). I noticed a difference in handling(not for the good), and it bottomed out if I was not very careful. These issues were solved by replacing the rear struts AND coils as these were original equipment. Bought parts online and my mechanic installed for a reasonable 110 dollars for both sides. Total cost was around 400 dollars and it did solve the issue. I plan to replace both front struts and coils this summer. To sum it up. I have enough faith in this car to invest over 1000 dollars total on struts, coils, and hitch/carrier when the car is blue booked at 1400 dollars. Need I say more.
June 2017 and Avalon is my everyday car, I have a Mustang I drive for pleasure. The Toyota has 178,000 miles now and I find it a great car for me since I am disabled having had a major stroke in 08. I have limited use of my left side and the Avalon is a forgiving car, if you know what I mean. The struts and coils helped in handling and firmness for hauling my scotter. I still have a hard time believing this car is 22 years old.

280000 and still going
By xavier

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

280000 miles. Car had 200000 when ii got it 5 months ago. Knew the previous owner when he got it at 50000 miles. This car is a damn brick let me tell you. at 150000 miles pretty much the whole front end got rebuilt (struts control arms both cv axles ball joints both wheel hubs new calipers) all those parts are still in perfect condition. 1 strut in the rear and thats all the car has recieved other than new pads and rotors. Transmission draain plug was stripped at 100000 miles and the at hasnt been flushed ever, same fluid that toyo put in 20 years ago, and it still runs great. NO RUST ON THE UNDERCARRIAGE, BUMPER MOUNTS, FRAME, ANYWHERE and the worst part is that i live in a heavy salt area/state(Massachusetts) . And for a 3600 lbs 200 hp car the thing actually moves outta its own way, surprising me and all the civics scions mustangs volkswagens/audis and all the other nissan fwd cars that i zip past. only aftermarket product is a magnaflow cat back which makes the car sound like a baby supra!

Can't Kill It!
By tallchris01

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Replaced an older Camry with this car for it's reliability and rear seat legroom.
I've had this car for 5 years/75K miles and it's 19 years old now.
216K miles on the clock.
I've owned other cars that if you looked at them the wrong way they would break down.
Not this one!
I do all the basic maintenance myself.
Running 100% gas I've done as good as 26mpg combined, and 29mpg hwy.
Even on ethanol gas, I get 22mpg combined.

A thankless workhorse that doesn't look too dated even though it's approaching 20 years old. Plenty of legroom for my 6'5" frame and tall kids in back seat. Every time I lust for something newer or nicer I quickly remember that my ownership of this car has been drama-free.

I do my oil changes. The oil filter points down slightly, so catching the oil when changing the filter poses a bit of a challenge. Yes, I drain the pan first but there is still enough left over to cause a mess if I don't stuff a lot of rags or paper towels around the filter housing. The styling is plain vanilla, but at the same time it doesn't attract attention that I don't want anyway.

Solid Car
By runeye

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Got it in 2008 with about 80 K miles and it still runs strong even at 170 K miles. The only change I made was a busted flex pipe in 2012. Interior is sketchy but large enough to fit 5 average sized adults. Trunk space is superb. Performance is good for a older car like this, acceleration is great with PWR ETC engaged and overdrive off.
Maneuverability is surprisingly active even at highway speeds. And this car can keep up with those low end luxury sedans which try to embarass you like Mercedes C class 250, BMW 5.