Used 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Be warned
By Linda C.

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car to go to Chicago every day because of it's safety and small size. I have two big problems with this car and they are: 1. comfort of the seats- I needed to use a back cushion in order to be comfortable and 2. cabin noise is awful. You can not use the voice control because the cabin is too noisy. I had to use my ear jacks to hear on my cell phone. I would have kept this car forever if it was quite. The other problem is the outdated navigation system. I tried to use it but it wasn't worth the frustration. I just used my cell phone. If you are using it to run around town or you live in a snow belt this may be the car for you. If you are looking for a quite comfortable car look elsewhere.

AWD vs. MPG
By Christopher Shawn

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the car when I lived in Pennsylvania, and it was great for winter weather. When I moved to North Carolina, I no longer needed the AWD and wanted something with better MPG. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle for winter driving and isnt concerned about fuel mileage.

Fun and outdoorsie
By Justin Robertson

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Small, quick, and great on gas. The Tech is really great; the audio can play from an SD card, AUX jack, Bluetooth, and even from a USB slot hidden in the console. I literally just copied 20+ gigs of music to a (low profile) USB stick, and i have ALL the music i own with me all the time without having to use my phone while driving. AWD means i can take it camping and hiking. Exactly what i wanted.

Keeping my fingers crossed
By Chris C

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased mine brand new in 2014. It has 8 miles on it out of the showroom. I live and work in NYC and have had to deal with every possible condition that you could encounter driving in new york. I have driven with ease and confidence in every blizzard we have had here since I purchased the car. Around town and at city speeds my XV is super quick and agile. that 0-25 mph range is key for city driving and where i think this car shines. On the highway, despite reviews I've read before and after buying this car, acceleration isn't terrible. I believe that for the average driver its just fine. Having said that, there have been less than a handful of times where I would be merging into highway traffic and the engine would just make a lot of noise but barely get the car up to speed. There have also been times where I would merge under the same circumstances and it would go like a bat out of hell. The engine/transmission in this car have a lot of character. I've had to learn to know what to expect from it under any given situation. it will not always act the same but if you pay attention you can use your familiarity with the vehicles' throttle response to get it to do what you need. It also helps having an understanding of this cars limitations. Understand this is not a race car and is not sporty by any sense of the word. The only issues I have had with my crosstrek is that I've replaced or patched every single one of my tires. Not necessarily Subarus fault. The cabin is loud at highway speeds but no more than similarly priced cars of the same year in my opinion. Gas mileage has been good considering its full time awd, but obviously below that of a equally spec'd FWD car. My warranty just expired so im hoping nothing starts to go wrong all of a sudden. This car has been nothing short of fantastically reliable and I hope it continues to be.

63,000 Mile Review
By TD

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Anemic engine, poor gas mileage. Paint cracks and chips easily. Had hood repainted at less than one year, and two years later full of chips and cracks. Looks like a jigsaw puzzle. Noisy interior, horrible acoustics. Navigation horrible. Speakers horrible. Leather is cheap and tears easily, especially center console. Poor visibility due to high side door panels and hood.
Dashboard acts as heat reflector, very uncomfortable in summer. No spare tire due to hybrid battery. At 47,000 miles, hybrid controller glitch activated multiple trouble lights. Took over a week to diagnose and flash update even though it was a recall issue. Auxiliary battery and ISG failed at 49,000 miles "while driving". Very dangerous. Both are part of hybrid system, and although warranty states hybrid system covered to 80,000 miles, was informed by dealer neither item covered. Contacted headquarters and got most of it covered. At 59,000 clicking sound when turning. Sounds like it could be front strut mount https://subaru.oemdtc.com/333/popping-sound-from-front-strut-mounts-on-low-speed-turns-2012-2016-subaru . I baby my car. I maintain the exterior and interior by hand frequently . I installed bug deflector on hood. I drive conservatively, use 91 octane, and have it serviced every 5000 miles. BTW, must use synthetic oil that cost 3 times regular oil, but, unlike other vehicles on synthetic oil, still must replace at normal intervals, i.e., 5000 miles. Hybrid only 13 hp, mileage and power still poor, and is weak link in reliability and requires going only to a dealer for repair. And battery for hybrid used up space for spare tire, so no spare tire.