2017 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Really needs more supportive front seats!
By Rick

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We recently took our 2017 Subaru Outback for a 300 mile drive. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'7" and we both had problems with the the lack of support under the thighs in the front seats. They seem to be very short in length and don't have enough bolstering in the front which caused both of us discomfort in the legs, and also in the low back (the latter especially for me). I noticed the new Subaru Ascent has a driver seat extension for better thigh support (but not for the front passenger??). Would love to get 2 of those seats in the Outback. The engine really needs at least another 30 horsepower, really noticeable when on hills.

2018 Outback Touring - infotainment system bad
By Phil

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 3.6R Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

BEWARE!!! I am on a list of 20 Subaru Outback owners and growing at my dealership waiting for a replacement infotainment system that started going bad the second day of ownership. Eventually, it just died and they will not replace a new car unit with a new unit, they only will install a rebuilt unit and they do not have enough used units to rebuild for all the bad units so the wait goes on for months with no delivery date insight. It is my understanding that this unit is also in the 2019 Outback. Subaru is installing potentially defective units in new cars that they know they have an issue with. Other than this issue which leave you with no navigation, radio, phone or other entertainment features, it is a good car and I would recommend it as long as not having the infotainment system is not an issue for you.

Subaru ignores oil consumption problem
By Decolliber

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

In April 2017 I bought a 2017 Outback from Dave Wright Subaru in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. After about 5000 miles it became obvious to me that the vehicle had high oil consumption. I carefully measured oil consumption from 7000 to 12000 miles and found consumption to be 1/3rd quart oil per 1000 miles. I contacted the customer loyalty manager, sales manager and a few others at the dealership. One person responded, saying that it was too close to a weekend for anyone to answer me. So I waited. After one week I contacted the same people again and received no answer at all.

Subaru settled a class action in 2016 over oil consumption, and agreed to fix the affected vehicles if oil consumption was greater than 1/4 quart per 1000 miles (as I recall). But now the policy is to refuse to answer complaints? I have written to SoA Corporate HQ but will be amazed if I get a response. Given Subaru's other major engine issue of leaking head gaskets (which most owners can expect to experience at around 90k miles), I am done with the brand.

Just Don't See All The Love
By JohnO

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Taking a weekend trip from Boston to Washington, DC. Decided to rent and save the miles on my 2016 Kia Sorento SXL. Went to Enterprise to rent an SUV for 4 adults and a lot of luggage. Enterprise Car Rentals lists the Hyundai Santa Fe or comparable vehicle. The 2017 Suburu Outback is a comparable vehicle, according to Enterprise passenger and luggage specs. Due to the highly favorable reviews the Outback was a crossover I considered when I was looking for a new SUV. In a word I don't understand all the love. Yes, the Outback is safe, handling is good, has a great reliability record, exterior styling well if you like a station wagon on steroids ok, the interior was a blant black. However from a ride comfort factor it is just poor. Spending 7-8 hours in the back seat of the a 2017 Suburu Outback is tortuous. The seat back is too erect, the back seat is too short and very firm generally one of the most uncomfortable car rides I can remember. Having rented a Suburu Outback I am delighted I selected the Kia Sorento.

This coud be a great car, but it's just OK
By Keith

2017 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Side sensors often don't work and it takes four to five restarts to reboot. CVT transmission sucks and could cause accident because of lag time when shifting from reverse to drive or vice versa. Bluetooth is abhorrent a problem since day one dealer unable to fix told me it's my phone but has same issues with my wife's phone. Screen can be difficult to see is bright sun. Bridgestone original equipment tires were worn out after 30,000 mile and have no warranty on them. Mileage never lived up to claims either.