Used 2001 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Outback for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

LOVE MY CAR

Dawn, 07/08/2015
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new and wouldn't trade it for the world. I now have 175,000 on it and going strong. Few minor repairs like o2 sensor and knock sensor, but great car... July 2017 update... still love my car.. still going strong... SUBARU best in the world.

snow job

yardshark, 12/08/2006
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was totally "snowed" by Subaru and others who have owned Subaru's. "Oh, they're so reliable I have 2 of them". "They're bullet-proof". So I bought a new 2001 Outback sedan for the "reliability" and the AWD for snowy weather. At just over 50,000 miles, one head gasket blew and while testing the system, they found the second one ready to go and had to replace it too. The repairman told me I wouldn't have the problem again when I told him I would not buy another if this was going to be a problem every 50,000 miles. Now at 120,000 miles, the head gaskets have once again gone out. This will be the third set of gaskets for something "bullet-proof" and "extremely reliable".

Head Gaskets Replaced - 100% Warranty

suesailor, 02/19/2010
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '01 Legacy Outback Sedan was just diagnosed with leaking head gaskets when I had the oil changed. The car has 87k miles and is almost 9 yrs old. So I took it to my Subaru dealer in San Rafael, CA. They confirmed the head gasket problem, called Subaru headquarters, who agreed to a 100% parts and labor to install new head gaskets!! While they had the engine out they installed a timing belt ($84) and 2 drive belts ($35). I am ecstatic that they would warranty my 9-year old Subaru. Way to go! And it only took 3-1/2 days to fix.

Last Subaru I'll own

Enough, 08/27/2005
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru. I bought it because the first 2 were bulletproof -- no problems. We are at 77k miles now. The head gasket had to be replaced at 72k. Yes it was covered since the car had the coolant treatment. Asking around after it happened, this is now a common problem with the 2.5 engine. Now, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. According to a local transmission shop (not the dealership) 77k on this transmission is good! He often sees them with less. Often? Somewhere Subaru lost the reliability that kept me coming back. The company has refused requests to repair the vehicle. They've offered token gestures like a rebate on a new car purchase. I'm done with Subaru.

We LOVE our Subaru!

newbury, 08/10/2006
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has never broken down. We use it for both local and long distance driving, and have never been disappointed by performance in the New England weather. It handles snow and rain without a hitch and has been very reliable during icy road situations (the AWD works like a champ). We love this car, and plan to keep it for a very long time! :)

EXCELLENT CAR!

Ryan, 03/13/2002
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is just excellent. You cant find a better car!

Best car I've owned!

kk, 05/03/2008
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fabulous car and has gotten me across the country 6 times in all sorts of weather, never letting me down. A recent outpouring of money to the head gaskets, radiator, water & fuel pump, altenator, timing belt, and thermastat has given me reserve on whether I'll purchase another.

Outback rocks!

oareagle, 09/25/2002
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Got the Outback limited sedan for a steal at just under $18,000 because it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for almost a year. I personally like the sedan design better than the Outback wagon design. It's a great car, with a classy, comfortable leather interior and a rugged all-wheel-drive system that doesn't mind a minor trail or two. It's not as fun to throw around in the slalom as my 2001 Forester, but part of that can be attributed to the fact that my Forester is a five speed, and you're stuck with an auto tranny in the limited sedan. The standard Firestones also don't grip as well as the Michelin X-ones I put on my Forester.

Subaru AWD Sedan Limited

Cletus, 10/01/2003
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall very nice vehicle. Interior/Exterior design and styling are great. Highly recommend

Great car and an attention-getter

Outbacker, 10/28/2004
Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car all of the time. I sell insurance; so I am on the road alot. This is one smooth running car. I will be driving over eighty without even noticing it if I am not carefull. i wish that it was a little bit faster from a dead stop, but it such a good running car on the highway. My back does not hurt over long distances with this car as it has with other vehicles. I nearly always get lots of attention when I am in this car. It is a rare car and looks great. People of all ages will stare at it or say something good about it. My first trip to Florida got me 30 MPG on the highway when I set the cruise at the speed limit. Great Car!

51050