Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Legacy for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Affordable reliability

vermonster, 07/02/2004
Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

At 120,000 our Outback has had few problems. Only repair issues (beyond standard maintenance stuff like brakes, suspension components, etc) has been ac compressor. Also, keyless entry and one of the seat heaters have both stopped working. Burns zero oil, and has never let us down. Not super zippy, but gets you where you need to go. Also, this isn't a luxury car, so the ride isn't as smooth as it could be. But, what do you expect in this price range. I would categorize this as super-reliable. A good car at a great price.

Very Solid Car

Brad F., 08/02/2004
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car over e-bay at 85k and I now have 104k on it. I've spent $2500 since then for all the normal stuff (brakes, tires, struts, timing belt, ect,). It lives outside and since I'm always in a hurry, I drive it hard. So far, it has taken all my abuse in stride. Since it has the 5- speed, it can be fun to drive. The ride is rough, but it handles well. The rear fenders have started to rust where the wheel well meets the rear bumper. This may be due to poor care on the 1st owners part. No other rust.

solid all-around car

caseo6, 09/16/2004
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 150000 miles on it. I was a bit leary of it at first, but I've come to like it. It was only $3600, right in my price range as it is a car for my son. The leather is in remarkable condition,as are the interior accents,power equipment, for a car with that many miles. The engine is still strong,though it hesitates slightly on take off with the auto tranny(a recall should correct this). All the paint is fine as well. It only has one problem that will cost money, the headlights have hazed over. The dealership said toothpaste will remove it.I see this car making well over 200k miles with no trouble.

97 Outback Still going strong

Len, 12/29/2004
Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Pretty good vehicle. Great in inclement weather. Stores alot of stuff in the back. Good handling, responsive. Tires and brakes last about 60k. Blew the engine at 35k, so the dealer installed a new one, and it has been great ever since, and it was covered 100%. Very few recalls (maybe 1).

check your oil often!

fawkes, 03/19/2005
LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

If your car smells like burnt oil after driving, be sure to check the oil often! I was only 3,800 miles into an oil change and the engine ran out of oil and burnt up, no warning, no panel lights, nothing (and I was watching the gauges like a hawk). Got a rebuilt one for $4600...ouch. Has grinding brakes every now and then, and needed a new catalytic converter (the non-generic one @ $800). Given, this was around 140K miles - car is at 150K now with no more problems. Gas mileage is 23-30, never gotten under 23mpg, even in stop-and-go traffic. I love to drive it around, though - it's great in bad road conditions. Love is gentle, love is kind, love pays for any number of repairs.

12345...7