Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Legacy for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

1997 Legacy GT Loveland Co

TCJ, 06/09/2005
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought new in may 1997; have had all service and maintenance done by dealership where bought. Never have had one problem of any kind with car. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned as well as being sharp looking and fun to drive.

What Could Go Wrong Next?

BMA, 01/24/2004
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The alternator went...the antenna will not retract automatically...the dash lights behind the heating controls do not work...the radio would turn on only when it felt like it and would sometimes be off for days...the wiring to the headlights had to be completely redone by a dealer...the driver's side door lock does not turn...the left rear passenger window control does not work...burning oil smell coming from the engine...and this week while driving at night the whole dashboard suddenly went black!...stuff like this is all too typical for this car! Not acceptable. This is my last Subaru.

Nice ride- love the AWD

mjd, 02/16/2004
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the 2nd Legacy GT sedan I've owned and both have been solid rides. The interior is laid out well and functions well. I live in Wisconsin and you can't beat the AWD for making sure you can get around in the winter. I have the 5-speed and it beats the automatic, but more power would make this a GREAT car.

1997 Legacy L AWD

bryan medlel, 07/23/2006
L 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Bought it with 223,000 miles on it. Redid the cam seals, timing belt, fuel pump, fuel filters and put a new head on it. It now preforms as a new car only at the $3000 I paid for it and with the $1500 I spent to re work it. I feel as though I have a $10-15000 car and I expect to get 400,000 miles with it easy, with regular oil changes and belts. I rate it a 9.25 now. For $4500 find anything better. Let me know, I will take 10 of them. Hope this helps. Only fault as of now - check engine light is on due to fuel heat sensor unit is bad. Being able to do the work myself it does not bother me. I would drive to Alaska.

Common Problems

EOW, 06/17/2004
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Reading other reviews proves I am not only one. At 16000 miles had to have engine replaced due to bad cylinder. Also the auto antenna sticks constantly. It is erratic, can't make up mind whether up/down. Also the ride is like a truck, very noisy. Mechanic at dealership says it is the tires which are original wide tires. It is VERY good in snow. Design of the cup holder is extremely poor which has been changed in the latest ones.

12345...7