Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Legacy for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

A car that keeps on giving

nikki, 11/24/2007
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I owned a 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Edition until I recently got in an accident. This car had it all: leather interior, sunroof and a moonroof, front and rear spoiler, interior wood trim, tinted windows, keyless entry, fold down back seat to the trunk, fast, comfy, strong, easy to drive, safe, and definitely reliable. she was at 172,000 before I totalled her. I am sure she would have gone another 100,000 miles with no problems. If you are considering buying a Subaru, do it. I promise you will have no regrets and will be satisfied with your purchase.

Like a pet

Froggy, 07/27/2008
L 4dr Sedan AWD

We loved this car so much that we gave it a name (soobie). Until we bought our new 2004 Legacy, it was the best car we ever owned. It was economical (5 speed), reliable (few repairs in over 130,000 miles) and safe (I got rear-ended at a stop light. The car that hit me had to be flat bedded. I drove to work.) I eventually sold this car to a friend, reluctantly, and when we heard that it was eventually totaled in an accident, we almost cried.

OK, till 130,000 miles

LarryNH914, 02/09/2004
L 4dr Sedan AWD

After 130,000 miles watch out, water pump, oil pump, engine seals etc... frequent engine repairs. I thought the 2.2 was tried and true. The engine just went totally kaput at 150,000 (siezed camshaft). If you think perhaps that maintenance is an issue, my Hyndai excel (at $5000) went 170,000 miles.

Great all-around fun to drive car

rgt4810, 05/09/2002
GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I love the all-wheel drive all year round. It really works on wet rainy roads along with snow and ice. Car has good power and handles excellently. The Build quality and interior quality are on par with other Japanese cars. Had the alternator replaced on a recall. I had the same problem of the lights going out on the heater control panel. I bought 3 new bulbs (I didn't need all 3 but thought I would change them all while I had it apart) and replaced them in about an hour. I reccomend the 2.5 liter motor because it has a better maintenance schedule (spark plugs at 60,000 vs. 30,000 and timing belt at 115,000 vs. 60,000).

What's breaking next?

Jabberwocky, 09/07/2008
Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought for $3,000, sold for $400. Transmission went out 1 week after purchase. Put another $1,200 in it trying to keep it running for my wife. Still drivable, just not on highway (it would not go above 40 mph). Head gasket blew after 3 months. Found out later that all wheel drive was never really working (no power going to the rear wheels). Power steering went out. Stereo stopped working. Hatch lock broke and would not close.

12345...7