Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My Bubaru made me like race.
By R. Keith Connor JR

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This car 97 legacy wagon limited is a rockstar with a bit of a punk rock edge however she sold out a bit earlier in her career when she decided on some rather basic styling and comfort element but when she hits those high notes she sings like any of the more modern cars she zooms past. She has at 190k the time when she joined my band of broke down Audis and BMW has made me forget why I ever thought a German could hold a candle to her siren song she has never failed me in less than a year I have put 45k of punishment to her after a quick and dirty overhaul of belts alternator water pump flushing cooling system replacing alternator plugs with NGKs and wires giving her stomach a pump and pouring in some mobile one full synthetic she has responded by becoming what she was born to be a rocking lead diva who beats the breaks off all comers She was neglected and discarded when u received her but after a little shine detail and tune boy chowder this broad can wail. Takes all my bad habits heavy foot off roading off roads and she just keeps pushing me here's a thing that has me and her a little annoyed this 20+ year old car wants some top end seems she is governed out at about 110 gets there and just sticks like in cruise controls lots of room left on rpm gauge for her to keep climbing but no love tried uphill down hill flat but stops same speed as if someone were pulling on a leash. Please advise if there is a way to recode or bypass this stupid restraint on my punk rock girl. She is everything I always needed nothing I woulhave ever dreamed of wanting but know can't live with out.

Fantastic vehicle "LOVE"
By Joe Stock

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

The cars are great......3rd one I've owned. These WILL be the only brand I'll ever buy again. Cheap to maintain, only have to do oil changes regularly of course. But yah i live the subaru community, everyone is so nice!!!

Horrible!!!
By Benjamin Solensky

1997 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

You would think after decades of making cars Subaru would figure some things out! I had my car for a little over a year seemed to be in good condition, I drove it safe, and babied it and the head gasket goes on it! This is a problem with Subaru's and my car only had 80,000 miles on it!! Unbelievable. Anyway buyer beware, if the head gasket goes on it, its gona be an expensive fix and wow just wow. Anyway I guess there is not just one great car out there.. well if there is I haven't found it yet.. STEER CLEAR of this one though.

The Adventure Wagon
By Andrew

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Understand this isn't a Mercedes, although this car doesn't offer much in respect to the interior the reliability is outstanding for a four cylinder car. When I purchased my 2.5L wagon it had 190,000 miles on it. It now has 280,000 miles on it and is running no different then when I bought it. From the coast of California to the coast of north Carolina, this car has only needed an oil change here and there! Weather you be a first time car buyer or someone who wants a reliable car to keep miles off there nice car, you can not go wrong with this car. I will say the acceleration is terrible, I know some people have complaints about the head gasket blowing but I have the feeling its because they tried to drive the car to hard. But as long as you keep the timing belt changed and drive sensibly this car will take great care of you.
Other notes: I have a 130lb dog she fits fine in there, the seats lay down giving me plenty of storage room; in fact because I travel so much I usually get a memory foam mattress topper and it makes a perfect bed for me and her (im 6'1). This car also eats oil so just be sure you check the oil every 3000 miles or so. Another thing I noticed when I was in the desert it was sitting stationary for about 5 minutes and started to over heat... I turned it off to let it cool and it was all good. Far as the steering goes its defiantly a longer car; ever since ive owned the car if I make a sharp turn at low speeds it shakes and vibrates a lot... im not sure why but its never hurt anything. The seats padding somewhat wears out on the outside and you can feel the wire frame after a while of getting in and out of the car (im not over weight at all im in great shape... its not because im fat) but the fabric is good material and wont rip easily. also the car has a feature where it notifies you if a specific door is open... they tend to fail over time and it may be telling you a door is open when its not.. that's kind of annoying. The tailgate light also miss reads if the rear door is open or not over time, again nothing major but it can by irritating. Far as clean up goes I have a long hair dog and the carpet doesn't trap hair, its actually really easy to clean up. Also if you change elevation quickly such as going through the rocky mnts the oxygen sensor will go off causing the check engine light to come on, just have it cleared after you get back to a more steady elevation. Remember to keep the tire pressure even! this is what caused the rear end to wine when I bought the vehicle; I guess the previous owner neglected to keep the tire pressure in check which resulted in a wine in the rear end. Something else Im not fond of is the cup holders... there to small.

My Subaru
By emrose88

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car at 170,000m now still running strong at 205,000m with routine maintenance. We did replace 02 sensors around 200,000m as well as brakes, rotors, cv shaft. Other than oil changes, tires and other typical replacements this car has been a dream!

It goes like a beast in the snow, plow through almost anything. Easy to drive. It also has a feature if you push the break all the way in while having the clutch in it will hold the break for you as long as you have the clutch in- (not sure what that is called)

It's not a very big car, we have two young kids so it would be nice it was a little bigger. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing!