Used 2016 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
Select your model:
12345...34

Pros
Cons

Love My Car - Has a Few Quirks

Donna P, 11/15/2016
2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been driving my Subaru Forester for almost a year now. Pros: Safety is huge - my work responds to accident scenes and I've seen a survival in this vehicle I wouldn't expect in others. I loved the way it drove in the snow last winter, it gripped the road while others were skidding out all around me. I was able to drive through a foot of unplowed snow uphill! The back seat has enough leg room for my babies (who are each 6 feet tall). The gas mileage is great, visibility is great and I love the huge sunroof. Cons: The new touch screen has issues. Once in a while it won't work unless I turn the car off and turn it back on. Sometimes my phone isn't recognized by the bluetooth. I wish there was moor light in the rear cargo area. There's a strange pause when I shift gears. It feels questionable when I take corners faster than I should. Overall, I'm happy.

Too much glass not enough tint or AC

Cheryl, 06/28/2016
2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The NAV system is virtually useless. It has so many safeties that your copilot cannot operate or change the settings unless you pull over and stop the car. The audible directions are horrible. You will be getting on and off Interstates until you cut it off. Requires way too much setup. Google Maps and Nav are much more efficient and trustworthy. Your copilot can recalibrate your smartphone nav while underway. Not so this machine. High level map and GPS coordinates are the only useful items. I do not have the oil issue that others have mentioned as of yet and hopefully won't but it is obvious that this machine is a rolling greenhouse. The glass and there is lots of it for optimum visibility is more than the AC can handle. Especially if you have a moonroof. You can feel the heat coming off the overhead with the blind shut. Not sure I would buy it again, we were not happy with the local dealership either.

First Subaru and loving it!

Debbie Covington, 11/16/2015
2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I had been looking to buy an SUV for awhile and looked at several. I hadn't really thought about a Subaru, always thought they got lousy gas mileage. But after reading reviews on them I realized they were up there with the other SUV's and beat most of them. I am hoping mine gets a little better but I have been averaging 26 miles in town driving so it's not bad. Haven't really had it on the highway enough to know how it will do on trips. Only had the car about a month now so it should get better. I love how big the doors swing out for easy entering or exiting. Believe me, I researched a lot before I decided to buy this car and so far it meets my expectations. Love the bluetooth and my grandkids love having a USB port so they can play their own music when they are with me. I hope to get many years of use out of my Forester which is a base model with a few options added. So far no complaints! I really like how I can see out of all the big windows. For the money, I don't think any of the other small SUV's can beat them. Update, almost 2 years later: Getting better gas mileage overall. Lots better on highway (about 35 or 36 sometimes) Sometimes it sounds like the 4 cylinder is really struggling when you step down hard on the gas but it gets me where I need to be and still happy with my Forester! Would definitely buy again!

Really enjoy driving it

The Craw, 03/27/2016
2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I moved from a 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid to this car. The MPG is comparable, but it is much roomier. The head unit and audio is way way better in this model than in my previous Subaru, and the cabin is pretty quiet. I do have a couple of small complaints: 1. You cannot mute the audio in the NAV system, and it breaks into the music versus talking over the music. For me, this makes the NAV system too annoying to be used, and I end up using Google Maps instead. According to Subaru customer service, this is not something that they are planning on fixing. 2. The Bluetooth microphone seems to pickup a lot of noise, especially during highway driving. People on the other end say it is quite annoying to listen to. I have tried adjusting the mic volume, and it doesn't seem to help much. 3. The EyeSight cameras remove the area where you can store sunglasses, and make the rear view mirror a little challenging to adjust. They also should have blind spot available in this like it is in the Outback/Legacy. This is our 4th Subaru, and the reliability of the prior 3 has been exceptional. I expect this will be the same. All in all, I would definitely recommend this car. It is our 4th Subaru, and

Mechanically good car, but with poor electronics

Charles Nordstrom, 04/05/2017
2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my second Subaru Forester. I traded my 2008 Forester with only 48,000 for this 2016 Forester as my retirement car. Bought the overpriced extended warranty so could travel without worries about repairs. The car performs as expected with adequate, but not great mpg. The interior is comfortable and well appointed with quality materials. However, the Starlink system has many flaws. It sometimes seems to have a nervous breakdown and needs to be rebooted by shutting down the car. As for the navigation system, if there were a way to get my money back on this, I would. Don't bother buying it. Your smartphone is better. I checked with Subaru about map updates and was repeatedly promised there would be some. Two years later and it is clear that Subaru has abandoned it's 2016 buyers. Shame on you! About 3 months ago, went to drive my car out of the garage only to find that my steering was locked up. What is scary is that the wheel was absolutely locked. I would hate to think if this happened at speed. Anyway, called Subaru for a tow to nearest Subaru garage. Since I have the super duper warranty, I have built in loaner/rental car if my Subaru can't be fixed. Naturally, I expected to have a car provided. However, the dealer's representative said they were not allowed to authorize a rental/loaner car until they knew if the repair would take more than a day. Since it was a Saturday, they had no mechanics on duty to evaluate the car so I would have to wait until Monday to find out if I was entitled to a rental/loaner. Hello! It was obviously going to take more than a day for my car to be repaired regardless of what the mechanic would eventually say. On the following Monday, mid-day, I called the garage. After some hemming and hawing, they finally conceded that I was going to be without a car for more than a day. Again, Hello! So, by mid-afternoon I was finally in my rental. It took until late Wednesday to have the car repaired. Was told I have electric steering and something went wrong in the steering box. Dealer said they'd never seen this before. Fortunately, the very expensive repair was covered under my super duper warranty. As part of my purchase arrangement, I was to receive 1 year of free Starlink service. At the time of purchase, I was told it was not yet operational so don't activate it until 6 months later. In January of 2016 I activated it only to find I had 6 months left of service, not a year as promised. Apparently, the service was operational at the time of my purchase but the saleswoman misinformed me. I let it expire, but recently tried to renew if for a whopping $149/year. Unfortunately, the Starlink website is down and repeated attempts to access it have failed so I give up. While the car is, overall, a mechanically great vehicle, even despite the frightening steering flaw, the Subaru company is less desirable to work with. Not sure if I will buy another one because a car is such a huge investment that you need good support as well as a good car and Subaru corporation drops the ball big time in that department in my opinion.

12345...34