Used 2000 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Does what it is supposed to
By DakarTimm

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Second Subaru . My first was a 2005 Legacy that was T Boned by someone doing 60 mph. I was able to crawl out the passenger side and still go to work . It made me feel very safe. I wanted higher ground clearance for deeper snow and more cargo capability . I purchased it used with 80 k .The check engine light came on almost immediately after getting it home . I replaced the 02 sensor with a genuine factory part . The check engine light has now been on continuously for 7 years . The car runs just fine .We are approaching 220,000 miles . I had the drivers rear wheel bearing replaced at 170,000 miles . Mileage is almost all highway with the average mpg around 25 . For what it was designed to do which is carrying people and gear through less than ideal conditions ,it excels . Long trips are tolerable .We've spent upwards of 30 hours on continuous driving without being too uncomfortable . What more could one reasonably expect ?

Overall Good car with recent issues
By faithin14eva

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband and I bought this car in 2009 and it had 108,000 miles on it. Last year we hit a slight hiccup when our O2 sensor went. The garages near us had a hard time figuring out what the issue was and we eventually went down to the actual dealership and as soon as we described the problem they knew the answer. It is now a year later and my husband went to replace the rotors and brakes and discovered that the calipers, and inner and outer tire rods were bad as well in the front and the caliper on the rear driver side was bad as well. Now we have fixed all of this for around 400 and yet the brake system is still not working properly. More attempts to come to fix it.

We love that this car does so well in snow and it's a generally safe car. While my mother was driving my car she was involved in a minor accident and the car held up beautifully compared to what could have happened to it.

Just so anyone reading this knows. The only option this gave me was 5 speed manual and my forester is an AUTOMATIC. I am unsure what can be improved other than the gas mileage. The interior can be a little more style friendly and comfortable and the outside can use the same style help. When it comes time to fix the vehicle the ability to fix many parts is diminished because of lack of space. Also there seems to be a lot of rusting with the nuts and bolts. Perhaps a solution could be found for this as well.

Perfect Winter car
By Dustinson

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a high powered rear-wheel drive car and needed something for winter. I hated the look of this car, but am glad I bought it. I drive through snow half way up the door panels with ease. I can't imagine going back to just a front-wheel drive car for winter.

AWD

Love this car
By subi!

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for several years and I love it. It is the best car on snow, can tow a small trailer, and I get almost 30mpg! Sure it looks a little square, but I like the way it looks. It has been the perfect car for me and my dog to get to the mountains.

All wheel drive and great gas mileage. No mechanical problems if you take care of it.

I wish there were two cupholders in the front.

Love it!
By Garcia subaru

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this vehicle! Fun to drive, pulls 2000 lbs, very reliable, was not too expensive, great in snow. Nearly 180000 on it with no major problems. Have done routine maintainance, replaced the brakes, starter and clutch once. Had one part needing replacement with the catalytic converter (cost 3-400 dollars), needed to replace the tape player (replaced it with a CD/tape player) and that was it. Still running great and I hope to keep it for another 100,000 miles. Get 20-30 mpg on freeway (at 60-70 mph) and 27-27 in town. I am planning to buy another in the future and am hoping they can improve the gas mileage by then. (They keep increasing the engine horsepower which I do not feel it needs.)

All wheel drive, antilock brakes, comfortable front seats, ability to carry items in back, can pull 2000 lb utilty trailer.

Better gas mileage, better back seat and more and new safety features as they are available (I understand the last two have been done). I do not want more horsepower at the cost of poorer gas mileage.