2018 Subaru Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crosstrek model:

First time Subaru owner
By Ryan A

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I just recently hit my 1500 mile mark since owning the car. The interior is great, has enough hatch space for my need, whether it’s groceries, or packing for a camping trip or going tailgating. Features of the car are great, love the eyesight, adaptive cruise control and the steering responsive headlights. The gas milage is amazing as well. The info system can be a bit touchy when connected via usb to a smartphone. While I know I did not purchase a sports car, the only issue I have with the car is it’s slow acceleration from a dead stop to about 25 mph. It makes crossing a highway or other situations where you need to get going quickly a little more frustrating. In and after 2nd gear the acceleration is as expected; not fast, but fast enough to pass on the highway of needed.

Driving then stalling in the middle of the road
By dana wood

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car is good. but for my the car stalls for no reason.

2018 Subaru crosstrek
By Christopher Bernhard

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Shop around, most Subaru dealers don't want to take money off the vehicle,I purchased a 2018 Subaru crosstrek limited, with eyesight and all the other big safety options, stickered the car for 31,972, wound up paying 28,643, so shop around and you can get a deal on a great safe car

Rugged, yet refined for a great price
By Sebastian Busby

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This Crosstrek is my first Subaru, and so far has exceeded all my expectations going into the purchase. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I have always been biased toward Subaru's for their do-it-all appeal. I've taken this car on multiple road trips and ski trips so far, and have had no problems making it up icy mountains or sketchy forest roads. The car handles roads and corners like a dream, and is extremely quiet inside. For the 2018 model, Subaru has addressed most of the issues the older generation Crosstrek experienced. Despite the grippy AWD appeal, this car still gets amazing gas mileage. I tend to average 34 - 38 mpg driving highway, and recently pulled out a 40mpg trip driving in the 50-65mph range. City driving tends to average around 26-30mpg. The exterior and interior is stylish and clean, and seats very comfortable. They have used a lot of plastic for certain trim features, but I suppose that is to be expected for the price (it all still looks good - just maybe not the most durable). The touchscreen entertainment system mostly works well, although I've found I have to plug my phone directly into the car to use the Android Auto features. using Google Maps and Spotify from the dash is pretty sweet though. Most reviews have primarily poked at the car's slow acceleration, but my experience with that has been more nuanced. At lower speeds and on flat terrain I find this car accelerates perfectly fine and feels like it has plenty of power (it's not a sports car, regardless). The issue is when you are trying to pass someone at 60mph going up a hill - that's when it can be slow. I think part of this is limitations with the gear ratio of the CVT transmission. For me, its a fine price to pay for incredible gas mileage without a hybrid engine. Bottom line - if you are looking for a rugged yet dependable adventure car on the cheap, the Crosstrek checks all the boxes.

New Global Platform a Huge Improvement Over '17
By Ryan

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We have purchased three Subaru's in 3 years. I will use this review to compare this to the previous iteration of the Crosstrek for those who may be thinking about buying used. I'll also review the rare 6 speed manual. We custom-ordered our Crosstrek because it was difficult to find the color and option set we were looking for. We ordered a 2018 Premium Cool Gray Khaki with Manual 6 Speed. I have to start by saying that the new platform for 2018 feels much more solid going into corners & bumps. Where the 2016 we bought, and even our 2017 Outback take corners and bumps with less grace and a general harshness, the new 2018 Crosstrek absorbs bumps well, and leans into corners giving added confidence in mountain driving and curvy highways and roads. The last gen felt top heavy in cornering. Additionally, the 2018 Crosstrek fits three child seats across as well or better than our 2017 Outback. Our last-gen Crosstrek could NOT fit our three carseats across (in fact the doors wouldn't even shut with three across), nor did it have as much rear legroom. They have done a good job growing this car slightly, without making it feel larger to the driver. It's hard to explain, but from the shutting of a door, popping of the hatch, to the chime or the orange stitching on the seats, this still very much FEELS like the old crosstrek and honors the gen-one design. But when it comes to road manners and passenger comfort, everything is improved. The engine is still underpowered, and that will have to be a consideration for anyone looking at this car. I really think it will be the Achilles heal of this car if not soon addressed and as other car companies start to build cars targeting the Subaru demo. But, I manage to get buy with the power, even if sometimes awkwardly. I opted for the 6-speed manual this time after owning the CVT last time and can tell you that the CVT FEELS faster. I think this is because the CVT does a better job keeping the car in the optimum torque band. I just enjoy sticks, so I went that route this time. The 6 speed is a big improvement over a gen-one manual I test drove. Having that 6th gear would make me choose the Crosstrek over the 5-speed Imprezza. Moving to the tech for a minute, the new head unit is a dream! The apple carplay and android auto makes easy use of google maps and spotify on the road, and allows you to easily text by voice or change songs or google map directions using a button on the steering wheel. The crosstrek averages about 22-27 city and 28-33 highway, so those advertised numbers are spot on. I haven't used the new Subaru in the snow yet, but if its anything like our 2016 and 2017 I'm sure it will be best-in-class. I would also recommend looking at the Forrester if you want a bit more room and power. The crosstrek will be perfect if you are coming from a small car, Jeep or hatchback.