Used 2004 Scion xA Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion xA Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Reliable is an understatement!
By D.T.

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Awhile back I traded in my Mini Convertible for a 4 door compact car. Though there is no flash to this vehicle I am highly pleased with it. After many problems with my Mini, it was a dream to have this car barely have a problem in more than 10 years and it's still going strong! Standard brake repairs, battery and fan belt were the only worries I have ever had. It's not a race car, but it's fast enough. It's not built for comfort, but it's not uncomfortable. It has been just right. The worst of my problems have all been cosmetic, with people opening doors into the side. I'm now thinking of looking into a new car, but it keeps getting put off because I'm still waiting for a PROBLEM after more than 100k miles on it!!! This turned into the best value ever.

Scion xa 2004
By Ricardo M

I love my little car, 4 years with it already and Simple fix

Almost 12 Years Later...
By Kat

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Scion XA in 2004. Feel in love. Great gas mileage, and fun to drive. For the past 4+ years, I've been having noticeable issues. My check engine light is ALWAYS on, despite having taken it in for maintenance. My whole car shakes like hell when idling. I've taken it to so many mechanics, and nobody can fix it. My driver's side window gets stuck (not fun in the winter time). My brakes sometimes feel like they are just going to give out if I'm driving down a hill with snow. I was also rear ended by a car going about 10 miles an hour, and the impact resulted in me having spinal surgery. I was 33 and fit when this happened. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. Only praise is it's very economical when it comes to gas.

Scion xA - Alot of bang for the buck. Mediocre performance.
By rx1

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven and owned several cars in my driving experience. I have had mixed feeling about this car.

Pros

Comes relatively loaded for the sticker price. Good mpg, 32-ish. Good solid manual transmission. Impressive reliability. Surprisingly roomy.

Cons

Sluggish response from a buzzy, noisy engine. You have to be willing to rev it hard, and downshift to achieve passing speed. Narrow wheel base, tall stance results in sloppy handling.
Light weight and engine position result in unstable handling in snowbelt. Soundproofing is minimal. Long highway rides are noisy and tedious.

I bought new. I lasted 4 years and 36k miles before selling.

A ton of standard features. Good resale.

Larger engine, slightly wider wheel base.

First Car..
By Zach

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Umm i've driven more than one car but only owned the XA and i'm very happy with it. I rear ended someone and the grill on the car wasn't stock..? so that cost me about $500 more. The gas pump is weird. When i go to fill up gas the pump kicks off a lot so i have to manual fill my tank most of the time.. annoying but not to inconvenient.

Stereo, Ac, Hatchback, Roomy interior

Kicks off the gas pump all the time and is expensive to fix.