Used 2005 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 455 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

not too happy with Toyota/Scion
By AndrewS.

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years; I have grown to HATE it. It is so small. It is so cheap, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to Scion. The car makes noise, hit a bump and you will hear the car make noise for the rest of your life, it creeks and rattles over every bump. The front bumper scrapes on EVERYTHING. The sunroof whistles, the rear hatch does not stay up, a/c condensation leaked into the radio - I now have no radio/speakers, mpg should be better, tires (no matter what brand) slide/slip in rain/snow and need replacing fast, brakes don’t last the same of other cars. Poorly built car, very disappointing coming from Toyota.

rear seats that recline, parking lights make the car look great. That's about it, it looks like a nice car, until you own one.

MPG, build quality (!!), a working radio would be nice. Buy a Subaru (you might as well, same MPG), it's bullet proof. :)

very nice
By powerstrokediesel97

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car as a rollover with 700 miles, fixed it up, now has 55,000. Great car, very fun to drive especially cuz its standard, sound system is pretty good. Very happy with it, has never broken down... Its also very hard to get stuck, its amazing how rough of terrain you can drive it over with it being so low to the ground. I have also managed over 34 mpg out of it. A's across the board for this one, another great car from Toyota.

Best part is it feels like a sporty car, its fast, fun, virtually no maintenance needed other than oil changes, turning radius is awesome

Looks very different with such high door panels and short Windows, almost makes you feel a little like your sitting in a hole.

Can't Complain
By jmm143

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my tC for 4 years now and overall its great. Never been in the shop and always reliable. plenty of room for me but a little crowded for a family of more than 3. Would like a little more power and a less squeaky hatch but other than that its great!

sunroof

more power

At least it looks sporty...
By big Dog Davidson

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, here goes. I've had this car for 3 years. I live in the southwest and it gets' hot. The air in this car doesn't get cold, I guess it's too much Glass to effectively cool also my sun-visor broke 3 months ago. I agree the skin is too weak to absorb any impact. You will find within weeks that the acres of smooth well fitted sheet metal are too much temptation for rude parking neighbors to resist. I have so many dents and dings I lost count, and I park far away from the doors! The engine is good for the price. But it's def not a sports car. Then handling is "so, so". Biggest complaint is Toyota's "debilitating" maintenance schedule. Unless your name is Rockefeller don't plan on keeping up.

looks sporty, reliable engine (though it does tend to stutter a bit with AIR on), Ridiculous 200mph Z-rated tires are nice. Till you have to replace them. Go cheap on your next set, you won't notice a difference.

The radio... Buy one you'll know what I'm talkin about, it needs a volume knob! You'll also notice that everytime you bring it in for an oil change you'll leave $200-400 of your pay check with them. I've been to 4 dealers and they all threaten to void your warranty if you don't get services done.

Fun and Reliable
By AJ

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2004 to replace my stolen Acura Integra. The car is absolute bliss considering the price;plenty of amenities. The car is fun to drive, plenty of power, great look inside and out. I received multiple compliments on the road. The interior is roomy and comfortable. This car lugs around 4 big guys no problem. The gas mileage is not too bad. This car is RELIABLE. I put 102,000 miles on it in about 3 1/2 years. This car has seen the coldest winters(I live in CO) and some of the hottest summers. I have taken this car to Las Vegas twice and to LA as well. Did not have any major issues when I had it. The engine is bullet proof (No longer own: accident total loss)

Peppy engine, plethora of standard features, reliable, great exterior and interior design. cargo space, 17 inch wheels, plenty of safety features.

better tires, fix various squeaking noises, stronger motor, HID headlights