Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Low Maintenace and 40mpgs!
By Matt

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I've put 103,000 miles on my Saturn since I bought it used in 2002. The only real "problem" I've had is the sunroof stopped working at 120,000 miles. With regular maintenace this car has travelled to all 4 corners of Ohio and back again with me and I've never had any electrical, mechanical, or body problems at all. Sometimes I think I have a miracle car. The original window sticker says 40mpg Highway and it's still getting that! About a year ago, I almost traded it in, but now everytime gas prices go up, I keep deciding to keep it till it dies....if that day ever comes!

Factory stereo is surprisingly very good. Third door is quite handy too. Oh yea, did I mention I"m getting 38- 40mpg!

Seatbelt guide should be adjustable or lowered some. I'm almost 6ft tall and it cuts accross my neck, I'd hate to be much shorter and its strapped across your face!

Cheapest car to drive!!
By stacys_knight

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had my Saturn for 6 months and have put over 20,000 miles on it. It has been wonderful, on the highway I can get up to 45 miles per gallon! Wow! The 5 speed is very peppy and pretty puick for what it has under the hood. My wife has an 05 Impala and I can keep up with it from the line. Have done routine oil changes and have had to change the ignition packs this weekend. Done myself and was only $105. Not bad I think. I love my Saturn. I travel a lot and there could not be a better car for the task! I would recommend very highly! Thank you Saturn!

Fuel economy, the 5 speed

Maybe a little better speakers

My SL2
By Natherion

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The Saturn SL2 is nothing if not fuel efficient. Getting well over 30 miles to gallon, the car is a gift in the recent times with gas prices ever rising. The engine leaves much to be desired in power. An individual driving the small, light weight car should have no issues with it however, cram the car with a brady bunch of people and you'll find the engine has no torque to speak of. The acceleration is somewhere between average to good but once you add in the torque issue with a large group of people, the acceleration goes right out the window. The car does come with most of the basic ammenities such as powered windows and the like but nothing special. All and all the car is plain but great.

The greatest feature of this car by far is its fuel effecient engine. It more than makes up for some of the other mediocre features of the car.

My biggest complaint would actually be the stock stereo system of the car. In the attempt to make the stereo "anti-theft locked" They also made it a major pain for the owner to replace the stereo system with anything else.

Above average American car
By Matt

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for 7 years. I have had a few problems with it as far as it stopping or not starting due to minor things like battery, cold weather and more. It has been 3 times it's stopped. Other than that it has been a great car. I paid it off and it has been saving me money ever since as I haven't had to take it into the shop. But then again I was the first owner so I made sure to take good care of it and drive lightly. If I were to buy a used sedan and was looking to save money, I'd get one. Otherwise, get a Toyota Corrola.

Gas mileage. It has a modern exterior shape even though it's older.

The transmission doesn't seem to have take off, but then that's after 7 years. Light indicators on dash board will be messed up sometimes.

A cheap decent car
By mike

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My parents leased this car when it first hit the dealers. I was too young to drive it then, but when I started to drive it had about 60k miles on it. Now it has over 100 km. This car is pretty good overall. I'd say it is very reliable, cause it's been offroading, it hit a curb and went airborne, and it flipped and landed on it's roof. (dont ask how all that happend:) and it's still in great condition. So I think this car is reliable and tough. Acceleration isn't that bad but it is a 4 cyl. At high speeds this car is a little rough riding. Over the years the only bad thing about the car is the engine failed at only 90 km. So we bought a used engine w/60 km on it. If you get it cheap, then it's good

Easy to drive, decent handling, mpg

Better engine