Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Prix for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Value

the_squizz, 12/05/2013

I just want to start by saying I love this car. I bought this car with 94K miles for under $5K. I am very handy with a wrench ( I actually used to be a mechanic ), but this car is absolutely horrid to work on in the driveway. It is simply not made to be serviced outside of a professional shop environment. A great car, just be prepared to spend all day for seemingly simple repair jobs OR actually break down and drop it off at a shop for repairs. Other than that, the car is great. I have spent ~$1500 in a year and a half for repairs thus far. Remember, even tho the L67 is bulletproof, the outside accessories and sensors have a shelf life and will fail eventually. This goes for all cars.

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

James Mouton, 08/23/2004

The 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix is a fun car to drive. It has great accelation for a automatic transmission sports sedan. The steering preformance is also very good.

Great Car

shane255, 07/18/2004

This car features the 3800 motor which has always been the best ever made. It should be good for a couple hundred thousand miles just like my second car I still drive.The only complaint is the front seats could be padded a little more to increase comfort,otherwise it is one fast machine..,...

Awesome Car!

pontiacdude, 08/29/2002

Own a 1998 GTP that has given me 70000 miles of trouble free driving. Great power, great handling, good ride. Lived in Germany and the car easily kept up with any European car on the autobahn except I was limited to about 130mph (pegged the speedometer) It's been the best car I've owned because of the power. Owned 2 other trouble FREE AMERICAN cars before this one also.

So far so Good

Ray Schiller, 10/03/2010

I just bought this car for $5k from an individual, and so far, I love it. It runs smooth and powerful even with the 3.1. Handling is very responsive (kind of like the Camaro LT I use to have). Ride is firm and sporty. At 68K mi. it has a few minor imperfections, but hey, Ive been driving a 92 Chevy pickup with a stick for 12.5 years so this car feels like a Vette. I was glad to find out that the engine has a timing chain, no belt. Lots of fun to drive with dead straight tracking. I find myself taking the long way home. The stereo sounds great & the seats are comfortable. Overall, it's a really nice ride for not a lot of money. If you want a great car for $5 to $6k check one out.

Great Car

RodL, 06/17/2004

Excellent Car! Replaced my 1999 Grand Am GT with this car. Very dependable. I receive many great comments on the look of the car. Many passengers are suprised by the great interior room.

This car has changed my views of GM

partsman99, 04/24/2012

I bought this car with 71K miles on it in 2009. The clock currently shows 137K, and I am fairly impressed with it. Starts every time I put the key in, no matter how hot or cold it is. The good: plenty of power with the standard 3.8, decent sound system, good fuel economy with the size of the car, the overall look of the car is pleasing to the eye. The bad: needed intake manifold and gaskets right at 100K, a solenoid in the trans is going bad, low roof line so my head is almost rubbing the ceiling (I'm 6'1"), very picky about which alternator is in it. My overall opinion is this is a good car, and that takes a lot for me to say being a die-hard Mopar fan. It's old, and people still like it.

Good First Car

am_can_drift, 04/21/2015
GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first car. By the time I got it, it had 185k miles on it. The struts were already bad, and it ran great. This car was a classic new-age Pontiac in that the electronics inside broke, but it held together under the hood. (the gas flotation device broke, inside dashboard lights went out partway). I had very few problems under the hood with this car. It ran in all conditions, and it carried the workload. Eventually, the head gasket blew and the trans started to go bad at 215k miles. Between service records and me, these were the first problems under the hood. It is a great first car in that it can take quite a beating. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a first car.

Would buy one again

MAJ, 10/19/2003

I haven't seen any other car out I would like better than my Grand Prix. Very Responsive Engine- fun to drive. I plan to keep this car for a long long time. I feel it is built to last also which was important to me since I don't chance cars often

Good ole American car

middleage, 01/28/2010

I originally bought a 99 gtp that went 154000 miles before a deer got it. Couldn't bare to pay close to 20k for an new econobox, so bought the last of this generation in 2007 for half that. It is a comfortable muscle car. Acceleration and long distance cruising are its forte. Handling is okay but sloppy when really pushed. The transmission does this clunk at times when starting from a stop?? The "leather" is more like vinyl and the rear seats are not adult comfortable over the long haul. The hvac setting doesn't work in the first 2 positions. The brakes fade under repeated hard use. A 5 speed [m]transmission would have made this car much quicker. 15 mpg city 26 mpg hwy. Feels solid but fat.

Grand Prix GT 2002

nirvana, 10/29/2002

I bought my car in Feb 2002 and have been actually pleasantly surprised by the build quality and handling of the car. You get a lot for your money. Something to at least consider and test drive for your next purchase.

Great Car Fun To Drive

huffdaddy, 01/24/2003

This car has been great thus far. It has plenty of power and handles great at tight cornering. I like the sleek design and quiet ride it provides.

A great car for the money!

gpfan4life, 01/30/2003

The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is a great car for the money. Peformance, looks, and comfort are great, not to mention the good gas mileage for a performance engine. I would recommend this car for a person that needs something practical yet fun and fast.

One of Best cars I have owned

Jim P, 02/20/2008

The Grand Prix GT I purchased off- lease in June, 2006, had 33000 miles at purchase. It now has 55000 trouble- free miles. I have replaced only the battery and a heater fan switch. The styling is still one of the best even after five years! Fuel economy is 17 mpg in stop-and-go city and 30 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. I still feel great about this car and, every time I think about something newer, I change my mind and stay with this car. Too bad GM is dropping this model after 2008.

Believe the Hype!!

powrtrippin, 02/11/2003

Bought this car in Jan 2003.. Test drove the 240hp Accord and the Altima. Both impressive but neither pushed my back against the seat like the GTP. Being quite roomy and packed with options didn't hurt the decision either. The only thing that I was concerned about was the price. Luckily, there was a $3000 rebate and my wife gets the GM discount. That made my choice the easiest thing I've ever done.

MY Grand Prix

warlock710, 02/19/2003

I would just like to say that my grand prix has to be the best car I have ever had.Also I would like to express how much fun that it is to drive,so I say to you if you are thinking of getting a grand prix gt or not I say go for it you wont be sorry.I LOVE IT 100% its the best.

2003 gt limited

jess , 08/22/2003

I love this car.There is plenty of interior space, the trunk is huge,the bose stereo system shakes the car when loud and is crystal clear,the car has great get up and go. the limited has lots of gadgets including the on board computerand heads up eye-cue. for the price of this car we got the most for our money.

Fantastic Car!

Motor75, 09/05/2003

This car -- the 2003 model -- is absolutely fantastic. It rides great, it has ample power and the interior options (mine is fully loaded) is fantastic. This car is great on long road trips and also the quick jont to the store. I have no idea why they redesigned it!

2003 Pontiac GTP

Flyer Scot Sailor, 12/25/2005

Owned the car for 3 years. Have had no problems whatsoever. Car is very reliable. Fun car to drive, handles well, good acceleration, rarely have the supercharger come on but still has very good pickup. Mileage around town is 15 gets 31 mpg on the highway. Very nice car.

pontiac gran prix

mel ryan, 03/25/2006

I really like the car. Except for a few discrepancies I would give it a ten. Had to bring it back to the dealership three times for a water leak on the windshield, front breaks had to be replaced and a whistling noise from the engine. Noise was comming from the generator and not under warranty. It would cost me about three hundred dollars to replace or just put up with it. I chose the latter.

Better than expected

JamJan, 11/22/2005

We've owned this vehicle for nearly 3 years and are basically pleased. For an inexpensive car, it performs pretty well. The build quality leaves a bit to be desired and the steering feels a little heavy (dang front wheel drive), but GM did a fine job with the rest of it.

My 1st Brand New Car......The GTP

Slick Steve, 04/28/2003

This car is EXCELLENT! I've had other cars before, all used, but this one is the my 1st brand new car. I had a 98 Grand Prix SE right before this one that gave me the insight that I liked this car already before I bought it. I was right. The 240HP supercharged engine has great power and the interior with full options with leather seats is awesome. The exterior on a GTP is also nicer than on the basic SE model on the front end of the model. With the options, the car has it all when it comes to comfort. Also for 23k the car is very well priced when compared to other mid-size sedans that cost about 27k through 30k with about the same performance.

Excellent Car!

Danny, 05/03/2008

As soon as I drove away, I was blown away! For the small of the two engines, the 3100S definitely provides impressive power and response. Quick off a stop and maintains speed effortlessly. 4 speed is definitely the way to go with this car, which shifts quite smoothly I might add. Phenomenal highway car as well, especially when it makes 30+ mpg! Not bad around the city either, I average between 22-25 mpg. The engine sounds great when the car is winding out too, without losing gas needlessly. All in all it is a supremely well balanced car in terms of performance, style, efficiency, and overall intrigue of the vehicle. I got mine used with low miles & never been happier behind the wheel.

nice car but............

RAN1506, 09/13/2003

im not going to mention the dealer, but the dealer didnt put the right sticker in the window. the car is missing options that were on the sticker like abs an traction control. an the dealer an gm are not doing anything to make a dissatified person happy. i would of never picked the car would of picked the car out if it didnt have those options, due to the climate i live in. the dealer states i didnt pay for them but i think there pulling my leg. other then that the car is nice but i dont think gm is that great anymore i have a feelin that audi will be my next car.

terrible interior

Scott, 06/29/2006

The car drives well though the cheap body cladding was falling apart after 2 weeks and the brakes could be better. This has to be the cheapest interior GM has ever made. Im confident the car will run forever as the powertrain is not bad but who wants to ride in such a crappy interior? It also has no flash to pass, you have to click it to engage, I dont have to do that on my 92 Explorer! I am very dissapointed in the build quality of this vehicle. I will never purchase another GM product again. Rental car at best!

Never buy another Pontiac

Gary Keister, 08/29/2008

Let's start out by saying I have been a Chevy/gm person my whole life and grew up in a family the same way. However I am so disappointed in my grand prix at the constant repairs with such low mileage. At 20,000 had the transmission pulled and repaired along with a wiring harness. Soon after the car had a very bad oil leak. Now at 57,000 the abs light is on water pump needs replacing. I have coolant running out and will cost me around $800 because the labor is long . GM decided to make you tear 1/2 the engine apart to do this job. I never thought I would drive anything but gm but I am going to do the thing that bothers me most, buy foreign.

great American design and quality

save the brand, 07/17/2009

I have never been sorry I bought this GM product.Overall reliability has been excellent.The engine has good power and good fuel economy,and it SOUNDS like a real engine. The handling with the low profile tires and alloy wheels is excellent. Ride quality is very good,a bit on the firm side,w/good road feel. This car has never had a 4 wheel alignment and tracks straight as an arrow. No probs with the with the exhaust,battery,or even a belt!I have replaced only 2 components- the gas cap and the blower motor resistor(that was a tough do-it-yourself-job, but I managed).The fit and finish is very good,with virtually no squeaks or rattles in 5+years. &I know my wife is safe in it.I would buy again.

Love it

Kim, 01/26/2010

I purchased my 2003 new in 2004. I leased a 2000 and loved it, but didnt like the look of the 04s, so went out of state to buy it. Totally love the car, driving is never boring, and the acceleration is fantastic. Some minor repairs: brakes, thermostat, and a few other things, but nothing major. Sometimes I think about buying a new car, but I don't think there is one out there with this quality and this much fun to drive. Still looks great!

Grand Prix GTP

Cars4me89, 09/01/2002

Good performance and handling. Although rear is extremely ugly without spoiler. Lucky for me I was the next on the waiting list so that one had a spoiler.

THE AWESOME GRAND PRIX!!!!!

gmcanada2000, 09/24/2002

I have a 2002 Redfire Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan. What a car!! It is such a fun car to drive, it makes me feel like I have the best car on the road, which I do. Keep up the good work Pontiac.

Gotta love it

Gman2003, 11/07/2002

I just bought my GTP limited and think it might be the best car I have ever owned. It is fun to drive and has tons of power. The design is awesome and the interior is nicely equiped. It is just an awesome car!!!!!!

Best Car I've Driven

Kriz, 12/26/2002

Awesome power, great styling. Look forward to next years GP!

Looks Gr8 Runs Gr8

Fingers crossed, 02/02/2003

If the car has good reliablity then the folks at GM have done a good job of offering a car that is fun and practle at the same time. The GT has plenty of power and looks great. It handles better then most cars its size, and I have driven a lot of them. Keeping my fingers crossed that the reliability issue doesn't become a pain in the neck for me.

03 Grand Prix

Susan Cip, 02/03/2003

I had a comfortable, secure feeling from the first time I got in and drove the GP. It's good looks are agressive as well as stylish. It has power and handling that makes it fun to drive. Plenty of room for 4 adults as well as a cavernous trunk. There were no flaws found inside or outside of the car. I've had it 2 1/2 months and feel I've made the right choice.

grand prix

lab04, 02/23/2003

fun to drive fast great hanling good comfort all the things a great car needs

2003 gp limited edition

mkpolley, 08/08/2003

ive had 3 other g.p's '87,99,and 2003 never had a problem with any of them. this is the first gtp i have had, good looks with the limited edition package.if you have the extra 2000$. very fast and good rebates. got a 30,000 car for 23,000.

very good

seby, 08/08/2003

I don't belive that I was just "lucky" but in 3 years (more than 75.000 km) I didn't have any major problem. The only "problem" was related to the "experience" of the guys that are doing my maintenance ...

No better car

Metalgod, 09/20/2003

This car is great and fun to drive. Enough power, comfortable, easy handeling. there is plenty of room. Rides great and is very quiet. Would reccomeend this car to anyone. I will always stick with Pontiac as my car of choice.

A good car

coolkev, 10/14/2003

this is the seecond grand prix I owned (prior 97 gt). The gtp is a big upgrade from the gt. I really enjoy the extra power this car has. It is also very roomy as well.

woopie

hottieskaterchick, 10/24/2003

it is the funest car that i have ever drove and it also has enough room for a car seat to fet very easy and comfertably.

love my pontiac

gi-gi, 10/23/2003

Bought this one used, it's clean with great pick-up. Fun to drive and everyone fits. Needs better cup holders.

Very Pleased

mwoomer, 11/01/2003

I am very pleased with my car thus far. It is much nicer than the similarly priced Chyrsler I owned before I bought my GT. Has very good acceleration, and nice styling. It takes corners like no other car I have ever driven under $40,000.

2003 GT is my second GP

orwoody, 03/02/2003

Purchased my 2003 GT and love it. I had a 2000 GTP which I really liked and was forced to trade in on another vehicle. I missed it so much when I was able I went looking for another GP. I went with the GT because of the skyrocketing price of gas.(GTP takes premium) I drive a lot and the 2003 is a great road car and fun to drive when I want to be sporty. I've had no problems or complaints on either the 2000 or 2003 I've owned.

What a great car!

kenly777, 12/03/2003

I love my car!!!!

Pontiac Keeps Me Moving

averagej0e, 12/06/2003

I have an uncle that has been driving Pontiacs for probably better than 30 years now. My first Pontiac was a 2000 Grand Am GT, and served me like no other car I've owned. The 03 Grand Prix GT is simply a fantastic sport-sedan, and so far has surpassed the Grand Am in total satisfaction in my eyes.

Fun Car

oma Deb, 12/24/2003

My husband loves it because its fun to drive. It turns easily and drives very smooth. Of course he loves the sporty look. I have to admit even I love the outside design of this model. Fuel efficency is okay. The front passanger seats are very comfie, and the dashboard design looks great and is user friendly.

Love it

red on the head, 05/04/2004

Goodyear Eagle tires not round, blister on all four. Air distribution inadequate except on mid range and above.

Great ride, pricey on gas,,as expected

KSLavey, 07/19/2004

This car is awesome. I am so happy the car, my only complaint is the price of gas these days, if it was so expensive, I would let the throttle hit the floor all the time and use the car to it's fullest capacity...but it is a great riding car and fun and oh yeah FAST AS HELL

Love It

Siochain, 08/23/2004

Little hard for short people to get out of the car but easy for kids to get in on their own. Lots of room for a car. Sound system is nice too. Love the 90- degree opening rear doors.

WOW!

leotus, 03/10/2003

Went with the leather. It is holding up really nice. Get the heated seat option if ya live up north like myself!! Very impressive to drive...hugs the road like a child does an icecream cone. Just wished I would have got the on-star package is the only drawback.

51050