Used 2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used G6 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...19

Pros
Cons

Going on 195k miles! It been a great car(now at 22

Ryan, 03/12/2016
4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my pontiac with in 2010, it was 5 years old and had a very good maintaince history and 95k miles. It had just had its 100k tune up with new plugs wires fluids etc... It's been a great car I cannot complain at all. The car has fantastic power and the drive train Is very reliable so far. The interior is very nicely put together unlike some of its predecessors at at gm. After almost 200 k I have no tears in the seats, cracks in the dash, no paint coming off of switches or any of the sorts. The interior is one of the best interiors in my opinion. The dash is clean and straight forward, not busy like most newer cars which is not my style. Red led gauges illuminate cleanly unlike previous red interiors from gm. On the outside the quality seems to be just as good l. Paint still looks great and shines like new after 12 years. Suspension has been fair. It does handle very nice and is a comfortable car but it's had its problems which I will go into detail soon. Now for the problems. At 10k It developed a leak in the Heater core that was VERY expensive. 1200 to replace only to have the new one do the same (independent garage used au to zone parts i fear)..... the third Heater core has been good to me so far. At 160 k I had to replace the fuel pump as it had developed a crack in the line molded to the top of it. Pump still worked fine but required replacing the whole unit because of the tube. At 180 k I had to replace tie rod ends and left lower control arm but I believe this had to do with terrible oklahoma roads, not poor design. The steering column has a rattle when you hit a bump the I could never fix. Also the headlamps and connectors required rwplacing as thwy had corroded in the connector and shorted out. Last of all it has developed a small oil leak I noticed when changing the oil and I have yet to access and fix this problem. This has been the problems I have gotten so far. For a car I paid 8000 for I have probably put 2000 in repairs and have had almost 6 years I would call this a great buy. I love the car. I hope I get as lucky as the guy below me and make it to 338 k. I know for a car that is fantastic mileage.. update Sept 2018... I hit a deer doing 70 last november.... pulled the hood back straight, replaced the headlights and kept on rolling. I had just switched to liability. Since I last updated I had to replace the front wheel bearings and it will need a brake caliper soon.. 227 k miles so far

338,000 Miles, all original, still going strong!

wuollet, 01/26/2015
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2006 G6 GT in 2007 with 16k miles on it. It currently has 338k miles, and still runs great! I changed spark plugs at 180k miles, and they weren't even bad, but just thought it was enough miles on them. One complaint is the suspension, for the last 200k miles, it makes lots of rattles in the suspension. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but it still works good. We did replace power steering around 250k miles. Other than that, we have had amazing reliability with this car. Just do regular maintenance, wash the car once in a while, and you'll have no problems. This is a MN car, and there's lots of salt on our roads in the winter, and the body is just about perfect still. Would buy again.

236K mile, still running strong

Twig6376, 02/11/2018
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Only had to have basic maintance done as expected and a wheel baring replaced. This car has been a reliable one and I am getting 28mpg at 236K miles

Had this for 3 years no real issues

patroness, 04/02/2013
4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My G6 2005 has 120,000 miles on it. Up til now I have only had to replace the tire, brakes, and battery. All of these things are due to be changed at its age. Tomorrow I am replacing a tie rod and a Control arm, both considered to be a wearable item. Given its mileage I think that there replacement is a no issue. I have no complaints other than the featureless radio and built in Info center. At 120, 000 miles my car still drives, looks, feels like new. I have a future plan to change out the stereo and say good by to the info display. I have in the past changed the transmission fluid, and I will do a spark plug and belt change all thing due at 100,000.

2005 G6 GT= too problematic

74anthony, 07/05/2012
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. 80- 90% of mileage is highway milage. (32 miles to and from work) I had all required maintenance performed and never drove aggressively. 10,800 miles BRAKES....???/ front and rear, and speedometer issue 18,000 new battery..??? 1 yr later 37,000 BRAKES/ front and rear, Other/ lower intake gasket replaced All previous repairs were just inconvient. Warranty covered most of this. The following are all out-pocket 42,000 BRAKES (5000 miles later!!!) / front only 71,000 Front End / control arms LS & RS 75,00 Differentials seals replaced 78,000 Transmission / Gears blew through case Rebuild Req 88,000 BRAKES Again

Love it!

Lauren, 09/13/2006
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a convertible Beetle before the G6 and I am so glad I made the trade! I bought a silver 2005 GT sedan with 16k miles. Although I miss the convertible, I love my G6. I consistently get 25 mpg city and 34+ highway; I got around 18 city in a 4 cyl Beetle. Very spacious and comfy. Handles great and it's very fun to drive. Doesn't feel like a sedan at all. The Beetle felt like a $25k go- kart compared to the G6.

G6 Rating-Poor

Carrie Fitzgerald, 01/20/2006
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a new G6 in early 2005. It is very sporty looking and I get lots of comments on the appearance. Appearance aside, I have had nothing but problems out of the car. It was in the shop within the first two weeks having a new amp installed because the original quit working. The drivers side sunvisor broke, the cupholder in the backseat broke, the automatic lock on the passengers door did not work and had to be fixed, a clicking sound on the drivers door was fixed, a new starter was installed, and the sunroof had to be fixed because of a constant rattle. Purchasing this car has definitely made me decide to never purchase another Pontiac again.

Do not buy this car

Beth, 01/27/2009
4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used G6 GT last March and have had nothing but problems with car. First the paint started to chip off the car. Then the break lights started to work opposite (not consistently) which made it almost impossible to have fix. I ended up buying a new BCM (600.00 computer) at 34K. After this, my CD changer broke and I had that replaced. I also replaced the brake pads and both outer tierods and tires (which wore out because of the tierods). Now the power shifts when the car is driving. The lights on the dash will surge to the radio and the rest of the vehicle. The radio will also shift from one side to the other. All in 10 months.

Give me a brake....job!

F C, 08/25/2006
4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

BOOO!!! 1st month = broken wipers, passenger visor broke off into my wife's lap (it wasnt even in use at the time), fog light switch burned out & the brake car shakes when the brake pedal is depressed. After complimentary a brake job, the car still vibrated when I pressed the brakes, just a few miles after leaving the dealership. I cannot wait until my lease is over next year to get rid of this problem car. domestic mess! Oh yeah, power steering is ineffective for first few mins of driving after a cold start on winter morning. I don't let my kids in this car. We take the family SUV, due the G6 brake problems. And I thought motorcycles were dangerous!

unsatisfied

unsatisfied, 09/25/2008
GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since i bought my car in Dec. 2007 it has been in the shop multiple times for almost every reason possible. I Do NOT believe that Pontiac took time to make sure the quality was up to par before putting it on the market. My seat has broken so when i drive i sit sideways, my fuel pump has gone out, had to get new smart start software, you name it I've had it replaced or fixed!

12345...19