Used 2015 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Xterra for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Not a bad SUV for the right type of buyer...

AJ, 07/10/2015
PRO-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

... good value overall. The 2015 Xterra is more or less unchanged from the previous years. I purchased a brand new Pro-4X in the Night Armour color with the cloth seats. Several aspects of the Xterra attracted me to it in the first place. VALUE: I paid in the low to mid 30's for a relatively powerful 6 Cylinder SUV with 4 wheel drive, off road capability, a navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity, heated seats, and a cool overall look. Granted the car hasn't been redesigned in quite a while but it still looks good. I specifically enjoyed that this is among a small group of cars that you can get heated seats on cloth seats. That makes it nice and cozy in the winter without the experience of hot leather in the summer. INTERIOR/TEHCNOLOGY: Inside, the Xterra offers a very easy to read and operate instrument panel. The infotainment system is basic but it never freezes or gets stuck. The Bluetooth operation is simple and intuitive. The climate and audio controls are easy to use with simple but quality dials. Personally, I love technology, but new cars that have complicated screens have gotten too intricate and they take my attention from the road. The Xterra's technology gives you what you need without the unnecessary complication. The Rockford Fosgate sound system (optional) is one of the best stock sound systems I've ever heard. The heating and air conditioning unit works great in all types of weather. The "MAX A/C" option works tremendously in hot weather. The cargo room is great and there are plenty of storage areas found throughout the cabin. The front seats are comfortable but not very big. The back seat is even tighter with difficult ingress and egress. While all of the switches and electronics work well, the materials of the interior are very much sub-par. I have already had several squeaks and rattles develop in a car with less than 9,000 miles, this is unacceptable. If Nissan had put a little more time and effort in quality materials this would be one of my favorite automotive interiors. EXTERIOR: Outside, the car has a very utilitarian look with nifty cargo spots and steps for accessing the roof. Care needs to go in maintaining the exterior plastic trim as it can fade quickly in the sun. Use an exterior trim gel to keep it looking good. MECHANICAL: Mechanically, the Xterra has a great engine with a sub-par transmission. 5 Speed Automatics are incredibly out dated and this one shows its age. The engine has great power for regular driving as well as highway passing and off-roading. The gas mileage is extremely poor as I usually get around 14-16 in the city and about 17-18 on the highway. If Nissan could get this same power from a new engine while bumping fuel economy to the mid to high 20's it would have itself a great engine. However, most people don't buy an Xterra for fuel economy. This SUV is designed to handle anything the road throws at it. The Xterra is amazing in snow, rain, mud, and sand. It will get you to work when everyone else can't get past the snow in their driveway. The 4 wheel drive system along with the off road gadgets in the Pro-4X make sure this SUV never gets stuck. Furthermore, for an off-road inclined SUV it has a fairly compliant ride on-road with not an obnoxious amount of road noise on the highway. It is easy to drive and park. The Pro-4X has a backup camera to help with parking. OVERALL: It's a shame that Nissan has pulled the plug on this SUV after the 2015 model year. This is a good fun SUV for the younger crowd that doesn't have kids and/or doesn't need tremendous gas mileage. This car looks and feels sporty and rugged without being too harsh on its occupants. It's a great weekend trip car and it has enough technology and entertainment to be competitive in today's tech world. If Nissan could improve gas mileage, interior quality, and give it a fresh redesign I truly believe there would be plenty of buyers for a future Xterra, myself included. UPDATE (Jan. 2017): I have put 21,000 miles on my car and it has not given me any mechanical troubles. I've had two warranty repairs done on my Xterra. The first warranty repair was to replace my license plate lights as their housings had come loose. The second warranty repair was to replace a taillight that developed a crack without any physical impacts/damage. The stock BF Goodrich tires started showing their age at 20,000 miles so I replaced the tires as well. The stock tires were absolutely terrible. The Xterra still has a good handful of squeaks and rattles on the interior. These noises show up a lot more during the colder winter months and seem to disappear during the warmer summer months as the plastic warms up and softens up. My gas mileage is still poor at an average of 17 mpg combined city and highway driving. I've bumped up my reliability rating to 4 stars as the car has not experienced any mechanical issues and dealership support has slightly improved.

Most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.

On the move granny, 09/01/2016
X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a 59 year old single grandma. I like to dress up and go to the theatre. I like to dress down and go camping. I love my Xterra. It meets all my needs. Affordable to commute to work daily. Classy enough to take out for a play at the theatre. Strong enough to pull camper. I want to cry hearing they are no longer making this vehicle. I did serious research before purchasing this vehicle and it paid off. Multi functional was my main need in a vehicle. MY XTERRA is the top of line for my needs.

Great Vehicle

Ocean Boi, 11/27/2015
PRO-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love the fact that it has a strong engine and is built on a strong truck body frame. I love the high ground clearance. The seats fold down perfectly flat or can be removed. The gas mileage could be better. The traction control button is useful. The fact I can plug my IPAD in and get satellite radio is a bonus. If the seats in the front are pushed back it leaves little room for the back passengers. Runs GREAT!. No regrets. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought this vehicle.

A fortress on wheels

Steve, 07/18/2015
S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

In 2006, a major car magazine agreed that the Xterra would make the shortlist for a vehicle best able to survive the apocalypse. I agree. I feel invincible in this machine... it might not have the latest technology, and the truck-based frame may not suit all derrieres, but I love not stressing about the weather anymore. There is something to be said for simplicity. This truck is a beast. Rain or shine, wind, hail, snow and anything else mother nature throws my way, I cannot help but smile when I fire up the growl of the V6 and move out. I opted for the six-speed manual trans, and I think that has helped me get outstanding fuel economy (I average between 21 and 24mpg). Just a great, great, great, great truck... I've hauled oversized cargo in the rear, slept in the back when the power went out in my house, hoisted myself on my tow hitch and on to my rear bumper for a better view of the world when needed, gone to the city, the beach and the country, and feel like my X will be with me for a long, long time. Can't go wrong. I call this my Japanese Land Rover.

BODY RUST and Bluetooth mic issues

Paula, 11/08/2016
PRO-4X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Xterra PRO X new from the Ft Lauderdale Dealership replacing my "one owner" 12 year old Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Loved the Xterra and body style and a few of my friends had them in the past and raved about it. Now, I only drive my car 6 months a year, otherwise its stored in a covered shed when not in use in Sebastian, FL 10 miles from the coastline. I rated the the in/out access as poor since my 6' mate complains about the clearance when he gets in. I'm 5'5" and have no complaints. My first real issue which was never resolved was the poor quality of the mic for the handsfree voice command which was extremely important to me when making my purchase decision. I took it back three times with promises of a solution but in the end nothing could be done. Basically if I drive over 40 miles an hour and tried to use the handsfree phone my voice was unrecognizable rendering all the voice command functions useless. My battery died after 14 months but the dealer replaced it at no cost. Right now I am battling a rusting issue. Two years old and everything outside in the rear end is rusting badly. The bumper, hitch, bolts and apparently the under carriage too, so I was told. For a "Sport Utility" vehicle, its not very sporty. I took it back to the dealer feeling this was a warranty issue. Two visits and weeks later they are still not agreeing to cover the rust. So far they are claiming its an environmental issue. HELLO!!! Its Florida. I had my Ford Sport Trac for 12 years in FLORIDA at a time when I lived in a house that was right on the water and it never showed any signs of rusting. Because the Ford had an external bed I would toss my wet salty kitesurfing gear in the back all the time. It was awesome. However, with my new Xterra, I am anal with the my wet gear because I have to put it inside the car. As I am a born and raised Floridian, I don't like the smell of dampness so I always clean and rinse everything before it goes in my car and take it out when I get home to hang and fully dry every time. I use a "wet gear bag" to isolate the damp items in transition. The interior has no rust signs which if I was a careless owner with wet or salty gear, it would surely be apparent inside the cargo space. I am mainly concerned with the long term value of my vehicle. If after two years I have this much rust what will it be like in 10? I am a yacht captain and like to keep my possessions in tip top ship shape. I am very disappointed with my Xterra and at a loss as to whether I should sell it now before its to late and loses much of its resale value. I'm still making payments at this time. How bad is that? Its sad to see a nice car rusting. My brother has a Chevy Suburban. Its over 20 years old and has over 250,000 miles. He uses it for launching his boat all the time and he has zero rust. The dealer asked me if I was using my Xterra to launch a boat. Even if I was, its still only 2 YEARS OLD!!!! UPDATE 12/12/16: I took my car to another dealer in Vero Beach. They looked at the rust and immediately ordered me a new bumper. DONE!! After all the hassles the Ft Lauderdale Dealer gave me I was so shocked. I talked to the manager at the Vero Beach dealer and explained in full detail and he could not understand why I was turned down. I will never go back to the Lauderdale dealer. I'll drive the extra 100 miles to avoid them. What a difference customer care has on the outlook of a vehicle.