Used 2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Oldie but still good
By WILLIAM TOTEN

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

Buy it if mileage is appropriate for age and pricing consistent with Edmunds or KBB range. Must have Carfax and maintenance history

250k and still rolling
By patrick

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I was going to buy a Toyota 4 runner but comparable vehicle with more miles was 3k more, I bought it with 132k I have replaced valve cover gaskets, tires, alternator, starter and brakes 1 tuneup/ timing belt and fuel pump and front brakes in 4 yrs I have owned it (fuel pump was at 225k a preemptive repair) Check engine light has been on the whole time and no matter what can't get rid of it even though truck runs fine. 4wd works great. I paid 3100.00 and it was 14yrs old then and have driven for 4 yrs its got 250k and is due for timing belt replacement again. I am willing to bet this thing coud go 300k no problem, I have a 2004 for a backup and have not needed to use yet. All these years 2000-2004 have same issue of radiator support rotting away, check engine light, valve cover gaskets leaking and sometimes Distributor bearing going bad but if you are handy or don't mind a coupe bucks going for maintenance it truly is a good bang for the buck.

HONEY BEE
By Whitney Malone

2000 Nissan Xterra XE 4dr SUV

I LOVE MY CAR!

1st. year in Production,I would buy a dozen more.
By Adam Sands

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

You should know that you have a reliable,safe,vehicle that will go anywhere,everyday.My x-terra owes me nothing.Over 200,000 miles.still perky and strong.I have a 5 speed man.trans.and I've had to replace clutch @ about 130,000 miles.after driving lessons with 2 kids and towing a boat out of the water every weekend.I've only had a few issues through the years.A/C compressor failed after 100,000 mi.quick fix= removed belt and rolled down windows.Broken leaf spring,due to rust sand/salt is a challenge here in MA.Dealer replacement springs were about $325.local mech repaired+new shocks.DIY tune up's are a challenge to get the #5 spark plug out.*tip= after tune-up check that ALL spark plugs were replaced.honest repair men are rare.The only "issue I had was getting the "4wd"to disengage back to 2w drive.their's a sequence.drive 35mph in 3rd gear and shift out of 4wd.some times it takes awhile for it to go back to normal drive.Thats it for issues..AWESOME truck for snow,rough roads,hills,and trails.The only reason I'm getting rid of my xterra is that I cant keep up with the RUST spots.Mine started on the back hatch ,little blisters,and every year it spreads all over.Good thing I am so handy with bondo and primer paint finishing.I LOVE MY TRUCK.

The Yeti
By Me

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I purchased this truck from a small used car lot about a year and a half ago. Rescued is more like it and I knew it . It would seem that the previous owner did not care for it too much. It is a risk you take buying used from any where. It had 142,000 on it so I took that chance. I knew that it would be a project. I have replaced the valve gasket, radiator and hoses, thermostat, steering pump, rear window sprayer (missing when bought), spark plugs, distributor cap with rotor and wires, drive belts, brakes, ac compressor, refurbished the electronic control module, and replaced various lights. I still want to replace the shocks and touch up the paint. It is not difficult to work on with room to do so. Not typical of most vehicles now. The cost of repairs have been reasonable. It has always started and never left me stranded. It is a tough truck in which I see was designed to keep going. Surprisingly, it can hold and tow a lot. Never stuck off road yet. I can park it and not be too worried about finding it upon return. It lives up to its moniker; all that you need. Nothing big but more than it appears. I love the outdoors and play rugby. I love my truck and look forward to all the places we will go.