Used 2013 Nissan Rogue SUV Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rogue model:

Terrible Transmission and Cheaply Made
By Megan

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Like many others have said, the transmission is terrible. I purchased the car brand new and hadn't had many issues until the last 2 years. Three months into owning the car, the windshield cracked during the winter when I had the defroster on while clearing snow from my windshield. Next, the drivers' side window stopped working. My mechanic said Nissan used a cheap plastic mechanism and that's why it fell apart. Next to go was the rear wiper, which I'm not going to bother fixing. Then the transmission issues started. The issue seems to happen when it's very hot and after at least an hour of driving. I'll be driving on the highway with no issues at all, and all of a sudden the car will slow down. I'll press the pedal to the floor and the car will not go over 50-60 MPH. If I'm driving in traffic and have to slow down, it takes 10-15 seconds for the car to speed back up. It's scary and dangerous. Once the car is off for an hour or so, it will start back up with no issues. If it's still scorching hot out, the problem does start again after driving for a while. Other than those issues, the car runs pretty loudly, the light cloth seats stain easily (like from dark jeans), the button to change into sport mode is in an awkward spot that I always turn on accidentally, I get complaints that there's loud background noise while using Bluetooth, the car mats are cheaply made and have tears in them from normal use, etc. I hate to complain about Nissan because I've driven a Nissan for the last 17 years, but I'm incredibly disappointed in this car and will be switching to Honda when I trade in this piece of junk. It seems like they've cut corners and cheapened what was once a very reliable company.

Wish I didn't trade!
By Lu MacKenzie

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV SV 4dr SUV w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I own a 2013 Rogue that I bought used. I traded in a Subaru to save money. What an idiot I was! There is a noise in engine and vibration that when I asked they said that's normal (?), without checking it out! I live in the mountains and there is no pick up even in low going up the inclines. I am hopeful that Nissan has worked on these issues since and their newer model have come out but you should check it out.

CVT Transmission
By James

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As many others have stated I was driving down highway and lost power. Transmission has less than 70k and no help from Nissan even though they extended warranty on other models for the same issue. The car has been great up to this point. I would not consider buying another for this issue alone. Rebuilt transmission from dealers is over 3k

Learned the hard way.
By Alexandra

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car for 3 months. CVT transmission went out. 5k to fix. Very unhappy. Nissan wouldn't even acknowledge the defective part. I will be covering the entire cost alone. Thanks for nothing Nissan. I will never buy another vehicle from them.

Save up for a transmission replacement
By Jay in Baltimore

2013 Nissan Rogue SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our 2013 Rogue has between 70-80 thousand miles. This summer, the the engine suddenly lost power while on a long trip, and I couldn't accelerate beyond 60 mph. We took it to a mechanic, and they said the transmission was shot. Apparently the transmissions in most 2013-2016 Rogues have these issues after 60k miles, and need to be replaced. Nissan's warranty on the 2013 Rogue is 60K miles, but we're appealing to Nissan to see if they will work with us on fixing the issue. The newer Rogue's don't appear to have these issues, but I'd advise against buying a used Rogue made between 2013 and 2016.