Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Very Reliable
By Chris

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has over 200K miles and is still running strong! Since I've had it I've only had to replace the struts/spark plugs/tires. Overall it's very dependable. Japanese cars are definitely built to last.

Kept car for 21 years because it's so great!
By Marian

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever had, and I'd keep it longer but now need much more storage capacity. It never let me down, and goes like the wind. Great pickup and responsiveness. Has features not found any more like the ability to unlock and roll down the windows from 100 ft away. When blinker goes on, that side of the car illuminates for great visibility.

One owner;200,000 mi +
By tom

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car. Repairs have been minimal and spread out over time -- clutch, structs, starter, water pump, radiator. Some I did myself, other I took to a good mechanic. not bad for 20 years. Still passes CA smog and mileage is 20/25 on regular unleaded, same as 20 years ago. Mine is a 5-speed and is getting hard to shift and getting to be an issue in stop and go driving.

Awesome car, that's why mine isn't for sale!
By weigel5

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and still have it today.
If you can get your hands on one, buy it!
Other than basic maintenance, I've had very little problems.
I hope to have it another 16yrs :)

None that I can think of.

The greatest car ever!
By mcrockett

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

I brought by 1996 Maxima at a public auto auction in Dec 2005 for $2,800. The car was at 132K miles. Today in Nov 2011 I have almost 325K originial miles. This car has paid for itself over and over. I have no major problems only routine maintainence (oil changes, brakes,...). Ive had it tuned up twice. After 180K I stopped passing the MD Emission test but who cares the car is safe and reliable. I drive almost 100 miles a day for work and she still moves great. I have done several creative things including putting leather seats in from another Maxima, better radio from another Maxima AC controls and power window & door switches. Just a great Car!

Leather seats, CD Player, AC, doesn't take much to make me happy.

I think its perfect, it could be alittle faster and regular gas for the fuel type instead of premium