Used 2016 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Great Car- Easily Overlooked
By Rob

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Lets be real about this review. This is a compact AWD car for around $20k. This is an all-around excellent, fun to drive car. For what you pay and what you get there is no equal. This car is easily overlooked in favor of other small foreign cars and this includes the Subaru. So far no mechanical issues (40,000 miles). I have a 2016 ES, AWD with the 2.4 CVT. I love that the technology in the car (or lack of). It's simple and in some ways , "old school". Controls are laid out well and easy to use. Visibility is excellent!! I am a smaller person and never have an issue checking my blind spots or backing the car. The 2.4 engine delivers very nice power especially at highway speeds. I personally find the fuel-economy to be very good. If you put things into perspective and consider the following; 2.4, CVT (automatic) with A/C and AWD. Then I think 30 MPG is outstanding!! I don't know why other reviews on this car suggest fuel-economy is sub-par. I find it, in fact, to be rather good. I don't care for the CVT automatic. I think it holds the engine performance back too much and it never allows the engine to happily-rev to the red line, instead it allows for a leisurely stroll around the tach. Also, the engine tends to operate in the same range of about 1500-2500 rpm for almost every driving condition. I find myself forcing higher rpm from the engine, just to get it out of that operating range. By the time I can get to the extra power it's no longer needed. So I find this to be pretty disappointing. For lack of better wording, I also find the engine trying to "lug" from time to time, especially if climbing a grade after starting from a stop. This is among the worst CVT transmissions I have ever used. It is far from smooth and VERY slow to respond to throttle changes. Mine does tend to "jerk" from time to time, and has no problems letting you know it's unrefined.

For the AWD system: I have yet to encounter any serious snow conditions. Most of the time it's the usual 2-3" of snow/slush on most main roads and a few secondary roads and the AWD system is flawless. However, I did have the opportunity to drive the car in approx 6" of snow on secondary roads during the past winter. The car performed well but there is room for improvement. I did notice a bit of wheel spin from the rear wheels under the worst conditions. This is more than I would like for an AWD car. it slips and spins in deeper snow but it did not get stuck and seems capable. I'm not sure I would take this car off road either.

Also to note -my car came with ridiculous "traction B" tires that I quickly replaced to a more appropriate tire for my area. (be VERY careful in the rain with these OE tires).

Overall, I'm very pleased with my car. I purchased mine brand new and so far no serious problems. It fits my budget, seems reliable and meets my needs.

Between the Corolla and the Camry...Perfect
By GREG BARLOW

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is our 3rd Lancer in the family and not the last. 26 mpg on mountain roads and the 2.0 ltr has power to spare as peepy as my wifes AWC 2.4 ltr Lancer. I don't like the new front bumper design but can live with that. Paint with Mitsubishi has always been an issue so you must stay on top of the waxing. If you step up and pay a little more from the 5spd stick you get lots of extras. I really liked my wifes 2015 but I love my 2016. We will drive these for 10 yrs and then pass them to the grandkids. Keep the oil changed and the servicing up to date and these will go the distance not to mention they have timing chains not belts which have to changed out and thats not cheap. We paid $15500 which included destination (which is a bs charge but they won't waive it) plus tax and lic.

I love my lancer!
By Colt A.

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the third Mitsubishi I have owned and it has been great, and the dealership I bought it from was also excellent. I got it for $14,000 brand new, have had no issues like all of my other mitsu's. Its disparaging see such poor reviews on vehicles like this that are clearly superior to thier american counterparts, like the dart, cruise or focus, that all blow up or the infotatinment system needs to constantly be messed with, or push button start going out at 20,000 miles or trannies going out @ 50,000 miles. Enjoy your fords that will rust out in ten months [non-permissible content removed].

Big Mistake
By Allen

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I was excited to purchase the Lancer because it offered a sporty styling with AWC at a reasonable price. After owning a 2016 Lancer SEL for a little over a month I hate the car. Driver ergonomics are deplorable: - Leather seats that are uncomfortable (I feel like I've been sitting on a metal folding chair after a 20-30 minute drive. Lower back support and seating side support is almost non-existent. - A dead pedal foot rest gives no room to stretch out my left leg. The only way to extend my left leg is to put my foot under the brake pedal - not a safe thing to do - or keep my leg bent in a very unnatural position. The alternative is to move the seat back which then leads to over extending to reach the steering wheel. - Move the seat forward, and the center console arm rest no longer exists. - Without a telescoping steering wheel, arms must be almost straight to reach the wheel. (Note: I am an average size, 5'9" male driver) - The clock is so tiny and so far away from the driver, it can barely be seen. Put on polarized sunglasses and the display screen for the clock, back-up camera, and entertainment system become almost impossible to see in daylight. - Move the tilt steering wheel down, and it covers a good part of the speedometer. - A tiny collection of icons between the tach and speedometer are busy and difficult to decipher at a quick glance. The fact that the outside temperature is part of this tiny display clutters the display and is not convenient for any passengers to view. - The self-dimming mirror is a joke. Street lights "trick" the sensors into thinking it's daylight and the result is blinding glare from the rear view mirror. - The sunvisors are extremely flimsy. They seem to be nothing more that plastic covered card board. And there is no extender on the flimsy visors for when the sun hits at just that annoying "over the shoulder" angle through the side window. - Significant lack of storage space and small cup holders are major inconveniences. - Leather seats and steering wheel are made of a rough texture leather - not supple or smooth. - At highway speeds, road noise is quite loud. - Headlights also seem dim compared to my previous two cars. Added to these horrible ergonomics, my car features a "thump" in the trunk when going over some bumps. The car was "delivered" with 17 miles on the odometer - dirty on the inside and outside, including pine sap blobs that ate through the clear coat. The dealer's fix was to have the finish "wet sanded". After 3 weeks I had a loud thumping in the driver's side rear quarter panel. Had to schedule an appointment with service department. The back-up sensor was banging around inside. They "fixed" it with double-sided tape. Only one "outlet" in the entire car; no usb port. Radio/entertainment center sounds very tinny and cheap. And the horn sounds like something that comes from a child's tricycle.
I am SO sorry that I purchased this vehicle.