Used 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Lancer Evolution for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...25

Pros
Cons

Modern Muscle!

BigTim, 05/27/2006
4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned NUMEROUS cars, a'96 BMW M3, a '94 Mazda RX7, a Mini Cooper S, a Volvo 850R, an Audi S4, all of which were extensively modified... This car is by far the most honed instrument that I have ever owned. The only car which was even close to as fun was the Mini. This car is a beast in every way, I am Currently running over 400 hp, have had numerous encounters with the drag strip, and 35,000 miles on the still strong stock clutch. I have had some auto-X and the brakes are still strong and have lots of life left. I ask a lot from my cars and this has been one of the best, most reliable, and wicked cars I have ever owned. It is not for every one, just a select few who put driving above all else.

Seventeen years and 200,000 miles later

Jay, 03/24/2019
4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am the original owner of a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII. I have taken the car countless times to the drag strip, track day events, and numerous automotive events and it has never failed. It currently has over 400hp at the crank with the original engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials and original turbo. Change engine and drivetrain oil, timing belt and water pump at factory intervals and the Evo will be fine. I check spark plugs frequently for ware however changes should be made between 3000-7000 miles. Interior has held up exceptionally well. I hear reviews of those disappointed with interior materials, however, in the long run the materials have stood the test of time. Recaro front seats are a great balance between track and street. I am 5'7" and my back is supported and I have no aches after long drives. Rear seats are good. There is ample leg room and comfort is good. The only components I have needed to replace are as follows: alternator (at 155,000 miles) compressor fan (broken fan blade from ice at 190,000 miles) and starter motor (at 194,000 miles.) Check the driver side floor fuse box for signs of corrosion or water. There is a rubber plug on the firewall which can come loose allowing water on the fuse box. This is an easy fix. Simply glue the plug shut. This occurred to me 12 years ago and we sealed the pug at the dealer... problem solved. Many Evos unfortunately have been abused and this is where you will hear reliability issues. If you are on the market take care in finding a well maintained model. Best gas mileage I received on the highway was 27mpg on a trip from Atlanta to Philadelphia. The 4G63 engine has a long history stretching back to the Group B Rally Car the Mitsubishi Starion and it's nice to know the engine has constantly been refined over the years. I have driven BMW M3s, Corvettes, 911 Turbos and 911 GT3s, and the Evo is a great value for performance and long term reliability. And after seventeen years and 200,000 miles I will probably hang on to the Evo for an indefinite amount of time.

Don't BUY!! Get the STi

Cheated!, 06/01/2003
4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I purchased my EVO it was a great day! But soon problems followed. I have had it in the shop 6 times and i know of other who have. I got the opportunity to drive the STi.. Much faster, better handling with its adjustable Differentials, BETTER QUALITY! If you don't like replacing head gaskets don't buy EVO!

My favorite 4G63-powered car yet

skaufels4, 03/18/2004
4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put over 196K miles on my '95 Eclipse GST (stock 4G63 engine and turbo). Now that I have a wife and 5 year old twins, I need something larger. My wife wanted my to get a Lexus IS300. I wanted a EVO. Once I got my wife to test drive the EVO, she was sold. Also, she doesn't mind the looks and comments she get from passer- byes. This is by far one the most fun cars I have driven. It is an absolute pleasure to drive... power, handling, brakes and exceptional feel. I will continue to use my '95 Eclipe to commute to work, and see how many miles it will go. The EVO will drug of choice for the weekends... putting a smile on face each time I drive it.

The Perfect Car

McDaddy, 06/19/2003
4dr Sport Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wonderful all-around car. So fun to drive, you'll find yourself making up excuses just to drive it! Awesome explosive power and design, will make on-viewers head's spin!

12345...25