Used 2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Diamante model:

Still going strong Diamanté
By Colin in Georgia

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The only issue I have had was the heater core went out on me early in the cars lifetime. Repair cost was too high due to labor. Just did a “by pass” to avoid interior leak. Other than that it has been a great car.

Excellent Value
By jrbruner

I love this car.
I read all the reviews before I bought this car, and the power train was highly rated.
This car is quiet, comfortable, powerful and reliable.
I have the LS with the heated, 8-way power seats w/power lumbar and love it.
This car was virtually unchanged from 98 until last year, 2004.
The engine is smooth, and responsive and I get much better mileage than edmunds says.
I measured 30 mpg highway in SoCal.
Transmission failed at 75k (apparently common).
Had it fixed by the pros at SoCal Transmission in San Diego and not a lick of trouble since.
Heater core is recurrent problem w/these cars.
These sell for much less than comp. Acura CL or 3.2 TL.

This car is a beautiful balance of luxury and performance. Front wheel drive provides responsive, secure handling. I'd like to try the VR-X, but wouldn't give up the luxury features of the LS. The VR-X is supposed to have tighter, sport-tuned suspension, but its the same engine,, but tweaked to produce only 5 more horses. 205 horses from the 3.0 litre in the LS is more than adequate. Apparently since Mitsubishi exited the luxury car market in 2005, these cars have not held their value. Luckily, these feature-rich, beautiful cars can now be picked up cheap -- for much less than comparable Acura or Lexus models. I Think I'll have another . . .

Irrelevant since last model year was 2004.

Started out ok
By bconboy

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

In its early years this car was a good car, some maintenance as expected I guess (but pretty pricy for this imported car).
But as others have said, once things started going, they went fast.
Had to replace alternator, muffler, tires (worn on inside) and I don't know what else in a pretty short amount of time, and now it sometimes won't even start.

I've asked around and no one knows why, we replaced the magnet at the end of the crankshaft, because it had actually blinked out and died on me while driving, but seemed to be only a temporary solution.

Big Mistake
By never again

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Worst mistake I made, uncomfortable ride, too much road noise, just generally unhappy with the car. Didn't want to be upside down on a trade, so I kept it. Lots of little annoying problems, that I was not used to dealing with in other cars purchase. Due to road noise would rent a car if going over 100 miles. Just bought 2010 Acura. I'll never go back.

Style

Need to stop making this car

Diamante
By Tribefire

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante Sedan VR-X 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Mitsubishi Diamante Vr-X is a fun fast ride but since I purchased it I have had to put a lot of money into it... the heater core went around 75k, and it's conveniently place on the firewall so the job itself is a nightmare, I haven't met a Diamante driver past 80k who didn't have to do the same, now I'm having trouble with the 02 sensors, I replaced 3 last year and this year the fourth went. I'd say the car would be worth it if it didn't cost so much to maintain. About 1500$ for the heater core repair and about the same for the o2 sensor work.

Best part is that you don't see this car at every intersection you come to. With a little bit of engine work you can get decent horsepower, and it's a pretty comfortable car to drive.