Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Just save yourself the headache
By Tim

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I saw these negative reviews about these cars but unfortunately i didn't listened when j bought my 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S. Plain and simple my car is a MONEY PIT. Bought car for 8k at 65k miles. So far I have put in 6k in repairs... walnut blast engine cleaning, misfires, high pressure fuel pump, valve cover breather, timing chain, thermostat, OIL LEAKS my auto gear shifter broke to shit somehow...had to replace entire shifter. All of this and probably a bit more was fixed and my shop says my Turbo will need to be replaced in the next 30k miles....that's another $3k to rebuild. However, it's fun as [non-permissible content removed] when it drives. Think I'm having steering/suspension problems with horri ble overseer. This car will be sold after this summer for sure.

Get rid of it before 82,000
By Mini me no more

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I custom order my 2009 Mini Clubman, Chili red, all the upgrades including 18" wheels and run flats and waited three (3) months for it to be built, shipped and delivered to me 10.1.2008. It was a great ride since I had owned a MG Midget years earlier, so I knew how these little cars feel. But, in 2015 all the problems started with engine light coming on over and over again with these dates and findings,

1) June 2015 - Jan. 2016 a chasing oil leak four times ($ 300 a pop), 2)
April 2015 timing chain failure (covered by Mini),
Feb. 2016 crack in oil line ( ($750),
March 2016 (twice in the shop) another oil leak ($675 each time).
April 2016 when I checked the oil and found there was none in the reservoir. The idiot that had worked on my car at the dealer had forgotten to place oil back in after the second March 2016 repair (the service manager said he had been fired due to other complaints) I found this out when I left he vehicle for four (4) days stay at the dealer (I always had it serviced at the Dealer to keep the records accessible) and
April 2016 I was told another oil leak and vacuum hose issue ($1,100).
May 2016 -A week later, the engine light was back on, this time carbon build-up ($2,700).

I spent total of $7,100 on this vehicle from June 2015 to May 2016. Needless to say, I sold (not traded it in) it in a private sale to a guy that collects cars and wanted a 2009 Mini. He did not care about the issues, he just wanted the car and paid the price I asked. It was shipped from Charleston, SC to San Diego, CA on his dime. I purchased a 2016 Outback. Why? I just could not bring myself to trust the Mini mechanics after the oil misstep.

maintanence nighrmare
By unhappyminiown

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is great to drive nad provides a lot of interior space. The sales process was easy but the car was not thoroughly reviewed regarding the complicated alert system for maintanence. The dealership uses the car system to tell the owner that maintance is needed. There is no 5000 mile oil change schedule. The problem is that a yellow light comes on for one second at start and the owner has to go through a complicated push button hold 2 seconds, scroll to another screen, hold again ....... The engines probably love this feature but it is complicated. A big yellow light tells you that the temperature is 32 but you never get a similar warning for important things such as oil level low.

Fun to drive. Peppy and sporty. Great gas mileage.

Warranty replacement issues are tight. Few certified mechanics so you may have to wait for your car to be serviced. Unusual warranty agreement between the dealership and mini usa. Delearship audited regularly and if the car has been service under warranty and the auditors diagree, the car delearship has to eat everything and the auditors begin to search more for warranty work to deny. This trickles down to you the customer. Every trick in the book will be used to refuse to cover parts under warranty. Air bag sensor bad in warranty..... water spilled on sensor. Doubt it due to its location under carpet under the shift. Turbos shot...missed an oil change $3000.....

Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way.
I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need.
I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

Drives like a go-kart and more room in the cockpit than I had in my old Explorer..even at 6'3". Big enough storage to hold my softball gear or golf clubs, and with the gas mileage and voice activated Bluetooth, I'm now teaching my daughter how to drive it...so she can have it in 2 years.

None. Well designed. Well engineered.

Best car I've owned
By nko1a

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great little car. It's really quick, stops on a dime, and corners like it's on rails all while getting over 30mpg! It's a absolute blast to drive. I love that it's factory tuned to backfire... There's nothing like hearing a pop and having flames shoot out of the tailpipe while shifting! This car has a great exhaust note and lots of low end grunt for a low displacement engine. Not only is it fast, fun, and efficient, but it's also quite practical.
It's a small car, don't get me wrong, but It's surprisingly spacious inside.
With the back seats down it has great storage space. With the back seats up I can fit 2 adults semi-comfortably back there.

You can't drive this car in sport mode without an ear-to-ear grin. I've tried... Impossible. I have almost 50,000 miles on this car and have had no major issues. Insurance considers this car a wagon instead of a sports car.

The CD player always restarts the last played track, which is really annoying if you listen to single track DJ sets. The stereo layout stinks.