Used 1997 Mercury Villager Minivan Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Mercury Rising
By Lisa Siegrist

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Obviously, this was an old minivan-1997. But I loved it, as did my elderly mother, who could slide onto its seat without having to bend down. For that alone it was a godsend. I loved sitting up high. It made me feel superior. It was my first minivan. I needed it for my business, an antique and vintage furniture collection, to haul furniture to my shop. I was able to stuff that baby up to the gills. I loved it so much that after an elderly neighbor crashed into the back of it while it was parked on the street, I chose to have it repaired, even though my insurance said it was totaled and gave me the bare minimal for it. It lasted an extra 12 years and only succumbed when the fuel line rusted out. The mechanic said the line would have to be hand crafted (I find that hard to believe); otherwise I think I would have repaired it. My minivan changed my view of American-built vehicles. It had power, even packed with heavy furniture. It's still sitting on the street, filled with furniture, even though I can't drive it anymore. I will donate it eventually, but I will cry when it's towed away, I'm sure of it.

Pathetic isn't harsh enough...
By sprog

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Even POS is too mild.
Got it in late 2003 with about 80k on it.
Did fairly well up until it hit about 150k on it, and it has had issues almost weekly up until now for the last year.
CV joints (multiple), quits when hot in summer and running A/C.
We replaced almost ever sensor in it - some more than once.
Motor mounts keep breaking.
Check engine light stayed on so much that IT blew out.
Major cooling problems.
I'll be GIVING it away for scrap this week, as I'm not dishonest enough to launch this crap vehicle on even my very worst enemy.
Most of the front end needs replacing now.
Had I taken this thing to the dealer, it would have probably run me about $5-6k in repairs over last year

Not a bad ride under 70 mph. Evidently, they all shake at 70.

It's obvious why they completely rebuilt it. It's a shame that anything this poorly developed was ever allowed to be sold to the public. And yeah - I know it's a Nissan Quest and all, but Ford should be ashamed to have re-marketed it.

Good vehicle for the bucks
By coolvadad

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

After an accident in our Grand Caravan that was totaled, we purchased the Mercury Villager as it's replacement. It has been a great vehicle for our son but does have a slow leak in the a/c unit that operates just for the summer with a freon refill. Recently the starter needed replacing, with a Nissan Quest unit which we were surprised to learn. Overall our experience has been a good one. There is a ceiling leak of water somewhere though.

Starts unusually well. Old Vehicle though for comfort.

The fuel pump whines while running which scared us at first. Now we are used to it after 5 years or more and another at a gas station told us her's does it too.

Love me Villager
By Oscar Alvarez

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

I now have 165,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Best Mini van I bought. As long as you maintain it well it has not caused any problems whatsoever. Mileage for long trips mostly New York to Florida has been and is still great. Only had to replace wear and tear items here and there. Still drives smoothly and with power. This one American/Japanese venture did pay off only to be stopped few models later as a no money maker. No wonder the company stopped making it. They were losing money on it on parts. Would love for the manufacture to start building them again. But that would never happen. Kia minivans now in my opinion seems to be getting the same direction.

Make it again with updated features.

will never buy another mercury
By rla32409

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

i bought a 97 mercury villager september 25 wth 120k had it for less than 20 days an within those 20 days i needed a new egr valve catalyt converter and my motor blew on me. was lied to about the van by previous owner and dealer where bought very dissapointed in the van it was my first car an my motor blew on the highway while i was driving with my 11 week old son in his caseat in the back

none